Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Orange Blood? (Page 1)

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
I suddenly have orange blood (menstrual blood and from a cut finger.) What on earth could be causing orange blood? It was not the lighting nor my eyes... it was like a bright reddish orange color. Any ideas on what would cause this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tsamoonia
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Red blood cells are always red. Since RBCs make up about 40-45% of our blood, the blood is red. Red blood cells are red because they have a protein called hemoglobin which contains iron. Iron likes to bind oxygen. Oxygen combined with iron is red.

The more oxygen iron has bound to
it, the redder it is.

Hope this helps,

Zig
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
But is wasn't red, it was distinct bright coral color, NOT a normal red shade. I do understand the mechanics of blood and oxygenation, so please do not patronize me or tell me that what I am experiencing is impossible. My blood is bright coral, and anyone who is able to help me is greatly appreciated.
|

replied December 29th, 2012
I was told that it was because I am anemic.I got diagnosed years ago and can't remember the exact details of it,etc.But you are not crazy,I also have experienced the orange blood.Causing me to talk to my doctor an was informed of me being anemic.Nothing to worry about,just need to get a blood test done an go from there with your doctor
|

replied October 10th, 2009
I've experience an redish orange color during a menstural cycle too. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the cause is, but know that you're not the only one
|

replied October 27th, 2009
I had a very rustly brown color blood before and it was because I had a severe lung infection...the color is affected by lack of oxygen...that is the only cause I know but you should call your doctor as I'm sure there are other causes.
|

replied May 5th, 2010
Orange period blood
Im going through the same thing right now my period blood is a very distict shade of orange. Its not red orange or brownish orangy red it just orange like if you empty a makers ink. Im going to the docs tomorrow this is not normal i know that for sure. No one knows what causes this. Me and my husband are kinda freaked.
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
Im only 13 and i cut myself the other day and saw my blood was BRIGHT orange, my friend was there to see it and she started talking about anemia.
My Nonna [ grandmother ] Was just diagnosed with anemia.
Should i get tested?
Should i tell my mom?
|

replied August 8th, 2010
orange menstrual blood and power saving coiled lightbulbs
hey everyone....great news! this month for the first time i am having a period that has bright orange blood. so im going crazy researching this with no luck until i come across one single post that change everything. this one single post said that the new power saving coiled lightbulbs cause blood to turn orange...i just happened to have tried them for the first time a few weeks ago ( in my bathroom of all places)! so i combined those 2 tags and got a lot of hits. so check and see if this is the case for u guys. i would love to know if youve by chance been using these lightbulbs as well.
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Fricken sweet, I feel so much better bc I have them in my bathroom....OMG phew
|

replied October 13th, 2011
This is crazy!!! I'm having the same problem and just realized after reading your post that I also have the same light bulbs in my bathroom. Did u remove yours and notice any change?! This can't be good if its actually the light bulbs.
|

replied September 25th, 2012
You are a freaking genius!!! Less than an hour ago I began searching the Internet to find out why my period would be orange. I found everything from anemia to lung disease. I have the new power saving coiled lightbulbs in my upstairs bathroom. After reading your post I went to my downstairs bathroom with different lightbulbs. I was instantly healed!!!! Thank you.
|

replied September 4th, 2010
I have noticed the same problem with orange blood and you must be right we started using the coiled energy saver lightbulbs!!
|

replied March 25th, 2011
I was so worried when I saw orange blood so when I saw the answer was so simple I was relieved. I thought something was really wrong with me.
|

replied September 6th, 2010
I'm going through it
I'm going through the same thing, i went to my obgyn and all she said was that was weird and she couldn't any reason why my blood is now orange not just my menstrual but any where i get a cut,hand,gums,leg my whole body and this is really freaking me out,i'm thinking it may be some kind of infection idk.I'm having a blood test tues and making them check for every thing known to man i rec you do the same.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
Red Orange Menstral bleeding
Has anyone gotten any answers from their doctors yet? I've had orange menstral blood for the last two months and I think the light bulb idea is silly. I notice the same color in the bathroom at work and we just have florecent lights there. Anyway, I need to talk to my doctor too but I just wondered if anyone else has had any luck with answers.
|

replied September 25th, 2012
Less than an hour ago I began searching the Internet to find out why my period would be orange. I found everything from anemia to lung disease. I have the new power saving coiled lightbulbs in my upstairs bathroom. After reading earlier post I went to my downstairs bathroom with different lightbulbs. I was instantly healed!!!! The lightbulb idea is not silly. Your situation just might be different.
|

replied September 17th, 2010
The coiled bulbs are fluorescent too!
|

replied September 18th, 2010
ok so after waiting for my obgyn to get back from vaca I got an appointment. I told her everything that was going on about my period being orange and have cuts from other parts of my body that would bleed orange and she gave me a full work up including blood test. My papa results came back and she told me that is had a mrsa infection on my cervix from a small bruise on my cervix she also said I tested positive for hpv which is the virus that leads to cervical cancer so she gave me a vacine which I have to take every 6 months . There's not exact way of telling how Long I've had the infection but she says that if left untreated I can kill you. She gave me a precription for antibiodics which I have to take the same time everyday 3 times a day while she waits for the results of my blood work. Mrsa is serious and I'm scared for my blood work results but we will see.
|

replied October 6th, 2010
healthy!
Well I just started my period and for the first time EVER had bright orange blood. Im healthy and exersize and eat all the right foods so the only thing new is the lamp I bought that has those energy saving lights! I feel healthy! WTH!!!
|

replied October 15th, 2010
been to the dr!
wow! I have been having red orange menstrual blood for about 4 months now and up until recently didn't think that cuts etc would be red orange but they are! I have been to my gynecologist, family dr, and my gastroenterologist and all have said Hmmm IDK. I pushed for an iron blood test as that is the only information i had come up with on the net. Low iron or excessive iron and anemia. All that came back normal. I even had an ultrasound on my liver since I have had my gallbladder removed and was still having pain there thinking maybe there was a link. Nothing! All normal. I am sure we are using those lights but for the life of me I just cannot make myself think that could be it. Surely light bulbs aren't making me tired too!?! Usually I would tell someone to see their doctor but really, I am sick of paying copay's to hear IDK!
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Do you have coiled light bulbs in the room when you see orange blood?
|

replied April 6th, 2011
After I had my gallbladder out I still had pain in that area...doc told me I was probably still producing stones from my biles ducts. I started taking some digestive enzymes and it really helped.
Then 4 years ago I had the lap band surgery for weight loss and have lost 100 lbs! I have cut out bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. And all of my problems went away!!
|

replied April 26th, 2011
please have your doctor check your vitamin d, b-12 & follate. you may also want to have your thyroid checked too. also, if they tell you your results are within the normal range, ask them what is the normal range. You could be on the cusp but they will tell you that the test results are normal anyway.
|

replied November 11th, 2010
Orange Blood Epidemic
I believe this Orange blood epidemic could possibly be Iron deficiency Anemia.
"Red blood cells are always red. Since RBCs make up about 40-45% of our blood, the blood is red. Red blood cells are red because they have a protein called hemoglobin which contains iron. Iron likes to bind oxygen. Oxygen combined with iron is red.

The more oxygen iron has bound to
it, the redder it is."

What this means is.. if you have an Iron Deficiency you blood will not be as red.

I have looked it up and read about the treatment. It looks like its a 3-6 month treatment of iron supplement. It should correct itself. Iron deficiency is one of the more common anemia's and with all this orange blood everywhere.. this is my guess

Go to the doctor to confirm that this is what it may be. A doctor visit is necessary non the less. i dont suggest treating yourself before seeing a doctor.
|

replied August 21st, 2011
OK - to everyone who thinks it is the light, it ISN'T. I've been camping and my menstural blood is still BRIGHT ORANGE under natural sunlight.

The only difference in my diet since my last period is that I haven't eaten any junk food and have cut back dramatically on sugar. Haven't gone to the doctor for it as I don't feel unwell . . . .

. . . . maybe if I read something negative I'd be motivated to go but so far 'no news is good news' ?!?!?!?
|

replied May 31st, 2012
I had a friend in Middle school that I noticed was bleeding from her nose and her blood was orange, bright orange. It scared me she said it was nothing that she just get headaches and her nose bleeds a lot. She died several months later of a brain tumor. If the orange is coming from menstruation I would get a gynecological exam right away. I still remember her name Mei-ling Lin she was a sweet Japanese girl I thought at the time her blood was orange because she was from Japan but she was o deaths door
|

replied June 6th, 2012
Not meaning to sound like a douche or challenge the authenticity of this story. Its a minor detail which is bugging me, the name of your Japanese friend, it's actually a Chinese name. The Japanese language for one doesn't utilise the letter 'l' but instead uses the letter 'r' also the phrasing of the name itself is Chinese. My apologies for any insult that may occur but thr lack of attention to detail/knowledge makes it hard for me to accept this.
|

replied September 15th, 2011
orange blood
I did try the light because I used the light for the first time in my bathroom yesterday, the light does make a big difference.
|

replied October 18th, 2011
Orange Blood
I have just got my menstrul and was very scared to see that my blood is Orange..I was like WTH..Im going to the Doctor bc I have never seen anything like this...
|

replied October 18th, 2011
U should see a doctor
|
12 >>
Tags: menstrual, eyes
Quick Reply