Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Oral hairy leukoplakia and HIV

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
My questions are:

How long does it usually take for OHL symptoms to arise after being infected with HIV? Is it at all possible to exhibit signs of OHL only 3 months or less after infection with HIV? If yes, then is it possible to exhibit signs of OHL and test negative for HIV and the same time, but still be HIV+?

Thanks In Advance!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2008
HIV and AIDS Answer A5024
Current medical status: Docs, I had a low chance but possible exposer to HIV on July28, 2008.... On October 24 I noticed 2 continuous white raised ridges (lines) running down both sides of my tongue... I looked online and felt that it looks very similar to mild OHL, but its not patchy... I went and got tested on Oct. 25.... The results came back negative for HIV and all other STDs...
Current medical treatment: My negative results give me confidence I am ok, but the fact that the ridges haven't went away leave me thinking I may still have HIV. I realize OHL can occur for a variety of other reasons other then HIV, but this is the only possible explanation for me. I am just looking for answers to the fallowing questions to give me peace of mind... I could not find the answers elsewhere on the Internet.

Oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL), in most cases, is an opportunistic infection by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) found in imunosuppressed patients, especialy those who suffer from AIDS.

OHL arises when HIV destroys the immune system and makes it incapable of fighting an EBV infection. Period duration between HIV infection and OHL occurrence can vary from a few months to several years.

The possibility for OHL to occur 3 months after HIV infection is small because HIV usually needs a longer time to destroy the immune system.

It is not possible to be HIV+ with negative HIV tests!!!

OHL can occur in HIV-negative patients but very rarely.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.