Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Operation for hole in bowel

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Well new-ish? I have posted a topic and replied to one.
I have some on-going health issues regarding a prolapsed bladder and prolapsed bowel into my bladder, and have also recently had faeces coming from my virginal area, Verified by my family GP. I also had some bleeding from the back passage, and two small blood clots also from the back passage.
This is not a continuous occurrence although it has happened several times over the past few months, it hasn’t happened since my last painful bout in late December. I have had a bad bladder and kidney infection since and ended up at A&E News Years Eve sent home with antibiotics and pain control.
The theory is I have a hole in my bowel that will or may require an operation. Can you please tell me what are the consequences to me if I don’t go head with operation for the hole in my bowel as I am all ready booked for February to have a bladder repair and the back wall of my bowel repaired or lifted?
It all seems like a lot of surgery to me. I also had a full hysterectomy with ovaries and a bladder pair with a small cyst remove from my Bladder in 2005.
I am reluctant to have unnecessary surgery if I am able to cope and control it with painkillers.
I look forward to your replies as I am most concerned about all the surgery they seem to want me to have.
Thank you. cc
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
Based upon your description, it sounds as if you probably have a rectovaginal fistula. There are several different surgical approaches to repairing such fistulas, and so the extent of surgery (and the risk of various types of complications) that you might require would vary according to the type of operation that has been recommended to you.

The consequences of not having surgery for this fistula is that you will continue to pass stool through your vagina (and which often occurs without warning).

You should make sure that all of your surgeons are communicating with each other regarding these various possible surgical procedures, and that they fully coordinate your surgical care with each other.

Sincerely/, Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.