Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Open wound after surgery ?

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
I had surgery to remove an infected lymphnode from my pelvis two months ago. I was told before going in to surgery that they would be opening me up, taking out the infected node, and sewing me up. When I awoke after the surgery, the doctor explained that they would allow the wound to heal from the inside for a week before they sewed it back up. When I went in for my checkup the next week, he said it looked like it was healing well and they would give it another week before stitching it up. For the next eight weeks, each week I visited for a checkup and each week the doctor said the same thing that they would stitich it up the next week. It has now been two months and they have told me eight times they would sew it up the following week. Is this safe? Is this normal medical practice? What reasons could be given for leaving a surgical wound open for so long? Are there any legitimate benefits to leaving a wound open like this? Am I being treated properly? The wound seems to be healing very slowly and the pain and risk of infection from the open wound is difficult to deal with. I need some answers as to why this is going on and why this is acceptable medical practice. Please help me.
Jacob
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Usually they leave a wound open if there is an infection, thus allowing it to drain. It should close slowly as it heals. I know it is very frustrating, but if they close it to soon the infection can cause an abscess and what is called a "sinus tract" that will form as a way for the infection to drain. Ask the Dr flat out if you have an infection, and if not what is the reason to leave the wound open? Good luck.
|

Usually they leave a wound open if there is an infection, thus allowing it to drain. It should close slowly as it heals. I know it is very frustrating, but if they close it to soon the infection can cause an abscess and what is called a "sinus tract" that will form as a way for the infection to drain. Ask the Dr flat out if you have an infection, and if not what is the reason to leave the wound open? Good luck.
|

Sorry I didn't mean to post the same thing 3 times.
|