Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

ongoing anxiety problems

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi. I have suffered with anxiety and depression over the last 14 years - I have received various help from professionals and im on sertraline and lithium due to reoccuring depression. I feel my main problem is my anxiety - it prevents me from going on holiday and I have to take my car everywhere otherwise I feel out of control. I have strange thoughts which are a huge problem such as " I dont like thinking" "Im scared of my mind" - I get feelings like what if I cannot take anymore in my head. I feel like day to day thoughts are torture - I try to rationalize thoughts and think it is just anxiety. Has anyone felt like this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 20th, 2008
ongoing anxiety problems
Dear Kittym,
Your meds I think are to treat your depression. Sertraline is a generic for Zoloft and lithium is also for depression. However, for anxiety there are other medications which help alleviate the symptoms. You should ask your Doctor about meds to treat the anxiety. If he doesn't give you any good answers seek out a second opinion from a qualified Psychiatrist to help you.
I will pray for you that the Lord will help you to get the right meds.
Teresa A.
|

replied July 20th, 2008
Ongoing anxiety problems
I don't know how long you have been with your current doctor but I am hoping you are seeing a Psychiatrist, however with that said if he is a really good doctor he should be aware that you are still struggling with anxiety. Even though some anti-depressent meds also control anxiety (not all but some meds do) you may need some other meds to work in conjuction with your current meds. I take Lexapro and Wellbutrin but I also take Ativan because stress complicates my despression as well. It is very important that you find a doctor who LISTENS to YOU. Being proactive in your health care is the most important thing you can do to insure you the best quality health care you deserve.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
ongoing anxiety problems
I am 47 and since adulthood have been diagnosed by various doctors with each a different diagnosis. Recently, I was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder. I am currently taking Cymbalta, but I don't see any difference as of yet. My symptoms are varied and have worsened over the past 6 months. I do not want to leave my home (I get sick all over at just the thought of going somewhere). I can't seem to organize anything. I can't stay focused on any given task. I don't sleep well, I have not desire for intimacy. I used to work, but I can't commit to work now. I don't think I could stay there for a day. No, I am not on disability. I have no insurance which makes it hard to do too much. I have no faith in psychologist because I have seen how they have worked with others in our community. I WISH I HAD AN ANSWER FOR YOU, BUT I TOO AM LOST ---Teresa M
|