Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

one white eye in photographs

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
My three year old has a white reflection in several of her photographs. It is always the same eye. I have at least a hundred photos with the reflection. I think maybe I am being paranoid after reading about retinoblastoma. What do you think.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2008
Supporter
I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I would take her to the eye doctor ASAP! Retinoblastoma is a cancer, afterall, and can spread spread outside of the eye or to other parts of the body.
|

replied December 31st, 2008
I agree with the previous poster. The photos do look convincing to me for retinoblastoma has you said that it has occured in many photos. Consult a doctor, quickly!
|

replied January 3rd, 2009
As a teacher of students with visual impairments, I have had experience with students that have retinalblastoma....you need to see a doctor immediately! If not the emergency room today, then your pediatrician on Monday. The size, location and consistency of that reflection are absolutely signs of a tumor. This can be life threatening. Please please please do not ignore this or take it lightly. For your child's vision and possiby her life...get to a doctor.
|

replied January 8th, 2009
Follow-up
We went to the pediatrician and the ophthalmologist. They still have not figured out why but she does have 20/200 vision in that eye. I can't believe I never noticed she can't see out of one eye.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Daisy, I'm glad to hear that it's not retinoblastoma. It's a good thing, though, that you caught the vision defect as soon as you did. She could have lost all vision in that eye if you hadn't acted so quickly.
Did your ophthalmologist mention Coats' Disease or blond fundus?
Coats' disease is also known as Coats' Retinitis, Coats' Syndrome, Exudative Retinitis, and Retinal Telangiectasis. Coats’ disease is a very rare condition where there is abnormal development in the blood vessels behind the retina. The blood rich retinal capillaries break open, leaking the serum portion of the blood into the back of eye. The leakage causes the retina to swell, and can cause partial or complete detachment of the retina. Coats' disease is seen predominantly in males, about 69 percent of the cases. It progresses gradually and affects central vision. It is almost always unilateral (affects only one eye). If caught early, some level of vision can typically be restored. If not caught until it's late stages, complete loss of vision can occur. In it's final stages, enucleation (removal of the affected eye) is a potential outcome.
Blond fundus, also called ocular albinism usually affect patients with little pigment, usually white-blond, blued people. I can't tell what color her eyes are from your pictures. Are they brown? The sites I visited used so much medical language it was hard to understand the cause but I think I got the gist of it: if you and/or your husband carry the gene for albinism it can cause IA in any children you produce.
I hope you find an answer soon.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I found two other possibilities: pediatric cataracts or ROP, Retinopathy of Prematurity, a disorder exclusive to premature babies.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
I see that this is an old post, but wanted to put in my two cents as other parents may come across this page later as I did. I was seeing the same white-eye reflection in pictures of my four year old son. Of course, I panicked after reading all over the internet about retinoblastoma. We saw an opthamologist today, and fortunately he does NOT have it. I learned that it is often diagnosed around age 1 (rarely as late as 3 or 4) and that this cancer is quite rare. They believe my son has strabismus (much more common), which is when the eyes are not in perfect alignment. The slight misalignment can cause one eye to reflect white, as the flash is hitting the edge of the retina which has less pigment. The misalignment is absolutely NOT noticable but after giving him some impromptu eye tests at home, we learned he has poor vision in one eye (the one that is reflecting white). Anyway, definitely see a doctor ASAP, but don't jump to the worst conclusion right off the bat.
|

replied March 25th, 2010
I just wanted to say thank you to all the posts on this matter. My son is 2 and we first noticed that his eyes were crossing and then we noticed that he has a reflection in the same eye in many photos. I am sooo worried that I can hardly get through this day and the appointment is tomorrow for the opthamologist. You guys have eased my mind a little and maybe he doesn't have the cancer. Thank you!
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
I have recently notice my one eye is always either white or noticeably redder. I''m 24 and have 20/400 vision in the eye that is white, I don''t know if the lack of vision is causing the difference, but it seems like it... I''m sure my eyes have always been like that in pictures, but now that I''m older and going to bars and such I am taking more and more pictures of myself in darker places which is prob why I have began to notice this. I just want to say if you think your child has a vision problem get it looked at. We lived in a very rural part of PA and my mom noticed I was always falling, tripping over things, walking into walls when I started to walk, so my mom brought me to the eye dr at age 2 and I got glasses and that was that. Later when I was about 7, 8 we moved to NJ and my Grandmother told my mom to get my eyes checked further cause something wasn''t right... Turns out I was pretty much blind in my right eye, and had to wear a patch over my left eye to try and strength the right. Imagine a 7, 8 year old in a new town with a pirate patch over her eye, and glasses as thick as a Coke bottle! NOT fun. But anyway it was really to late to fix the problem since by age 7 your vision is what it will be and can only get worse, so here I am with one eye (was not fun learning to drive my first right turn I had to make I turned onto the sidewalk and hit a tree, not forcefully, but still hit it). The point, if you think something is off get it check out. I don''t blame my mom or anything, but it is something that could have been fixed if caught early enough. I am def. going to check into my "white eye" unfortunately right now I do not have health insurance, but I think I''m going to just go anyway since nursing school has taught me that things can change quickly and most are preventable if caught early!
|
Tags: vision
Quick Reply