Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

on my 4th flare up, is it chronic appendicitis?

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
since march 2012, I've been having on & off symptoms of appendicitis, the first time it happened, the doctor I was under whilst I was in hospital wanted to remove my appendix but decided against it after getting sent for a CT scan, which showed an inflamed appendix, but not enough to be removed.

my symptoms include:

- generalised stomach pain
- pain which shifts towards my lower right side of my abdo after onset of pain.
- extreme nausea.
- lack of appetite
- abdo tenderness, worse on release of pressure
- worse on movement
- more recently a fever

whenever whatever this is, has flared up my white blood count has been raised & so has my inflammation marker. i'm currently on my 4th flare up since it started.

could this be chronic appendicitis?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Appendicitis is swelling or inflammation of the appendix, a small pouch attached to the proximal part ‎of the colon. Appendicitis is one of ‎the most common causes of emergency abdominal surgery, and ‎usually occurs due to appendicular blockage due to feces, infection or ‎foreign objects, etc.‎

The onset of appendicitis can occur anytime. It can occur within 24 hours or take a few days to present with all the symptoms. ‎

The symptoms of appendicitis can vary. Appendicitis causes pain that typically begins around your ‎navel and then shifts to your lower ‎right abdomen. Appendicitis pain typically increases over a period ‎of 12 to 18 hours and eventually becomes very severe. Other ‎symptoms that can be seen include - ‎Fever, chills, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and tremors. ‎

As mentioned in your history and your lab findings, it appears that you may be having a chronic appendicitis and you may benefit by consultation with your doctor, who can decide on the line of treatment after proper physical assessment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.