Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Olfactory hallucinations

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
Why do I intermittently smell cigarette smoke or like a tar smell for long periods? Then, it goes away for months, then back again. It then makes me nauseous after awhile; sometimes a headache from all of the cigarette smell. I don't smoke. I do have epistaxis upon blowing at intervals in the winter. My eyes even feel like they're burning - like after crying or a cold. I have no cold symptoms, no sinus symptoms. No upper respiratory symptoms. Dr.'s are baffled however, hundreds of people on this blog site with same EXACT symptoms. I have no psychiatric disorders. I am very realistic with treatment. I am very scientifically oriented. Any suggestions? Is this a "marker" for any other disease or pathology? Very concerned gathering that every physician seems to want to label this as psychiatric or ENT related with unknown findings.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2008
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A5145
Diagnosis that has been suggested: obesity, NIDDM, asthma, gastritis, bilateral 1-2+ pedal edema no known reason for smelling smoke at long intervals
Current medical status: see above
Current medical treatment: Amaryl 2mg PO BID Protonix 40mg PO BID Ibuprofen prn ( questionable arthritis - going to see a Rheumatologist 1/09)

If you feel a certain smell that doesn’t really exist that is called olfactory hallucination. Olfactory hallucination can be a result of nose disorders (inflammation), neurological disorders (brain tumor, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis…) or certain psychiatric issues.

If there isn’t any ENT or any neurological disorder the only possibility left is a psychiatric disorder.

You could consult an ENT and neurologist about your problem.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.