Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

Oldest living vegetarian (Page 1)

User Profile
Who's the oldest living vegetarian. How many years is it possible to live as a vegetarian? I'm in a debate with a co-worker who doesn't believe that you can LIVE a veggie lifestyle!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper catgirl55
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I will look for the actual source when I have a little mosr time ( i am at work on break right now) but i have heard that vegetarians live longer on average than non vegetarian, it is a much healthier lifestyle and better for the environment too Smile I will find those sources later.....
|

replied May 19th, 2008
co-workers always are in doubt of vegetarian life styles
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
mine co-workers are like that at least.... they are always criticizing me for it, it seems like everyone criticized anyone who is a vegetarian even though they do not know the facts and they have never tried it themselves
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Yep. Exactly. It's judgment before trial. So close minded it drives me crazy. I actually got pretty angry at lunch last week and left the table! I apologized later but I suppose I just don't need to try to convince people who aren't open minded...
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
here are a few things i have found that give info on life expectancy, etc...

"According to a study carried out by the Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum (German Cancer Research Center), vegetarians have a dramatically lowered mortality risk. 100 deaths to be statistically expected in the age group of study participants are matched by only 59 real deaths in vegetarians. Looking at male participants only, the positive effect - with only 52 actual deaths - is even more pronounced." source-- http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/vege tarians-live-longer.html

this one has a lot of good information you should read through...i didnt want to copy and paste it all Smile
http://www.ivu.org/oxveg/Talks/veglongevit y.html
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
The oldest living woman in 2006 was Chinese and vegetarian!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_Pinhua
|

replied June 19th, 2009
I love that cause I'm 15 and a vegetarian and everyone either critisizes me and wants to know why or they're all up in my face about it and say I'm too young!
|
Users who thank veggiechick for this post: DaCRO 

replied July 21st, 2009
can be misleading
That is interesting about Du Pinhua the vegetarian 120yr old. Also, I found interesting that I looked up the oldest man in India surnamed Miyan who was 138yrs old and loved meat, so I'm unsure what it would prove if all it proves that you can be of either diet and achieve longevity if you genetically inclined. My grandmother died at the age of 87 and ate chocolate everyday of her life for over 60yrs against doctors orders. I think I'll keep the chocolate and take all things in moderation. If ethically you are against eating meat, then no one should dissuade you from your beliefs.
|

replied July 21st, 2009
I was vegetarian for 20 years (no dairy, no red or white meat) and recently gave it up when I discovered I had hypothyroidism and infertility issues.

In traditional societies, fasting from meat (vegetarism) was meant to be a short term cleansing ritual that could provide health benefits to those suffering from cancer, kidney problems, gout, etc. Long term abstinence from meat has been linked to nutritional deficiences in essential fatty acids, protein, betacarotene, minerals, and vitamins (esp B's).

I suggest that you have a look at "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook by Sally Fallon before subscribing to a particular diet.
|

replied June 10th, 2011
Just because one doesn't eat meat doesn't automatically make one healthy. Junk food vegetarians are common and they are commonly malnourished. The best way to insure adequate intake of macro and mirco nutrition is eating a whole food diet. which means no processed food, or very little at most. The deficiencies you noted are not common while eating a whole food vegan diet. I would recommend you read the China Study by T. Colin Campbell. Good luck on your journey.
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
i was a veg from age7 to 30 and let me tell you it messes you up. im suffering for it. my teeth are bbad soft and break easily, my nauls soft brittle grow slowly, hair dull lifeless and fragile, skin is clear and looks good but lacking the tightness i would normally have, eyesight very bad, anemic, thyroid disease, at 30 have had 4 spinal surgeries weak bones you need calcium badly . my vit d was so low it did not even register the dr never saw that in his whole carrer, as well as all the others very low even though i ate veg and fruit and took supplements. let me tell you think long and hard befor thinking this is the BEST way to live in the long run you do so much damage to your body and well being. which do you want to live long and be there for your family or as some say save an animal. and yes i was a vet tech and worked in shelters from the time i was 14 so im an animal lover like no other but your life you only have one of so make it a long and really healthy one. study alot befor choosing this lifestyle.
|

replied September 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
borlef If you're assuming that you know that someone's dietary needs can be met on a vegetarian diet without knowing the particulars of their health or genetics then you're the mron. Not everyone functions without consuming meat. If you're Vegan for more than a few months and not borderline for anemia then you're ability to process nutrients in vegetables is radically different than 81% of Vegans out there who constantly struggle to incorporate iron into their bodies.

Most people aren't eating nearly enough vegetables and a lot of vegetarians are letting their pride push them into malnutrition. You need to eat the food that's right for you and it just doesn't get any more complicated than that. My great great uncle lived to 118. His secret to health was a Bowl of Oatmeal, a quarter pound of bacon and a pack of Marlboros every day.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
I also was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 15 years from age 14 to 29. I gave it up when I could no longer get out of bed. When I was a vegetarian my hair barely grew, was very thin as were my nails. I have memory, concentration and learning issues (I quit University because of this). I have chronic weakness and pain issues. I have terrible anxiety and depression problems. When I was a vegetarian I was constantly cold, my skin was very pale and I had acne problems and very high cholesterol (possible due to vitamins definciencies). Since eating meat again I am no longer cold, my hair and nails are healthy again as is my skin. My anxiety is lessening and my memory is returning somewhat. I still am EXTREMELY weak and still in alot of pain. I'm still awaiting further tests as to why but could be possible nerve damage. This diet has completely ruined my life. I firmly believed all the vegetarian literature and did alot of research during the period I was a vegetarian I did not believe it was causing all my health problems until I started eating meat again and realized I've been living the last 15 years of my life in a chronic malnourished state. I'm 30 now and still can't work. My future is looking very bleak. Don't let this happen to you...it's a terrible fate.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
Veganism is healthy
These people with their horror stories of how vegetarianism devastated their health and lives are either lying and in the meat industry, or they have some disorder (mental?). I've been VEGAN for 24 years and am healthy as hell and have boundless energy, hair and skin are great, everything is great. Do not believe these horror stories. Just be sure to get your B12, as well as enough zinc (if you don't eat enough nuts, whole grains, beans, etc., use a zinc supplement), iodine (iodized salt or kelp tablets), and calcium (sesame seeds, fortified soy products, etc.). And have flaxseed meal on hand and use it in cooked cereals, etc., for EFAs. Protein is not a problem when you have beans, nuts, organic soy products, and so on. Iron is also not a problem for me. Once again, do not trust these weird horror stories. There's obviously an ulterior motive there.
|
Users who thank VeganLouie for this post: megankh 

replied December 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
VeganLouie
I'm astounded you don't know people who've ended up with serious health problems from a vegetarian diet. Especially as a Vegan. Talk to your doctor if you're aghast. I know a very small number of Vegetarians and I've known 3 people with long term health problems from long term vegan or vegetarian eating.
|

Veganism is healthy
W0LF:
I know personally many vegans who are ALL very healthy, one who's vegan since before birth and is now in her 60's. Stop with these meat industry scare tactics. For Gods' sake, even Dr. Oz, WebMD.com, and other conventional medical people endorse a healthy vegan diet, even though Dr. Oz also dutifully plugs meat.

Veganism is not where you eat burgers minus the patty and think that the ketchup in there is a fruit and that the pickle & lettuce are your vegetables. Veganism includes the whole nutritious & anti-oxidant rich, colorful vegetable and fruit kingdom, beans, nuts, seeds, lentils, whole grains, organic non-GMO soy products, etc., all prepared in a variety of delicious ways, not white bread buns minus the carcass patty. Btw, 40% of young healthy meat eaters are B12 deficient, while supplement using vegans are not. We can use B12 fortified nutritional yeast which is a great flavor enhancer.

Why not admit what branch of the animal industry you're in and state your true motives for posting horrible, dishonest, frightening things in here against vegetarianism?
|

Extremely eHealthy
thousands of doctors and nutritionists around the world who advise against low protein, low iron, vitamin K and Niacin poor diets with specific cases of health risks associated are part of the food pyramid scheme?

Veganism may seem new and cool to you but it's been around in one form or another for centuries. People are aware actually aware of what you eat and what you fail to eat with fair accuracy. Nutrition changes and so do humans but one constant is that we are not all the same and what you manage to survive on others can not.
|

Alright, I'm not going to go on and on about this. Bottom line: Your dishonest alarmist tactics are horrible. "Body mutilation" and so on??? Come on! Vitamin K deficiency??? Are you serious? Green leafy vegetables and soy oil are major sources of vitamin K. Dozens of people in here?...Meaning you and 3 others who I'd be willing to bet are connected to animal agriculture somehow? Veganism "new and cool" to me?...After 24 years? That's it. I'm done replying to you. Bye-bye.
|

Extremely eHealthy
By dozens I mean the members of this forum who have known people who have loved ones who have ailed and in at least one case died thoughout this forum each time someone advocates an aggressive climb down the food chain. If you believe the doctors are diagnosed their loved one's malnutrition injuries are also part of the great meat conspiracy stop wearing your tinfoil hat and get be willing to bet that you need professional mental healthcare more than you need another crudites platter.
|

replied December 20th, 2009
Ok, just to clear this up. I'm still very interested in animal rights. I'm not selling anything. Nor am I associated with the meat industry (what the hell?? crazy). Just a very sick girl. I thought vegetarianism was healthy...I've lost years being sick and I'm still fighting the battle trying to get my body healthy again. I'm so tired of people telling me this diet is healthy. In theory it is suppose to work, but in practice it has failed over and over again. In the shortterm it seems to be no problem...but eventually everyone I know who has been on it has been forced to quit due to extreme health problems. I have a relative who almost died because his immune system was too weak to fight off anything because of veganism and the manourishment it caused. I have been sick at least ten times a year because of this stupid diet. It's almost like a fanatical religion to some people and they can't actually see at the time that they are getting weak or suffering from a nutritional deficiency. Plain stupid. People NEED to know that this diet doesn't work for some people in the longterm. It seems to malnourish the body so slowly that people don't notice that they are in fact getting ill...or attributing it to the natural aging process. This is a scary thing. I don't know if I'll ever get my life back. Not to mention the years I've lost. Looking back over the pictures of me when I was younger...I looked sick. I was pale, my hair was flat, and half broken off (I thought it was the hair dye I had been using for years, NOPE!), I was always hunched over and never looked toned no matter how much I exercised. I thought I was doing the right thing. No one could convince me otherwise until I almost died in bed. Stupid.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply