Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Odors associated with the Paragard IUD (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I have had a paragard IUD for approx. 6 years and never had any major problems from it until recently; after intercourse I am experiencing a foul fishy odor as well as before and after menstrual cycle, has anyone experienced this? if so what was a great solution for you?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bluedejpeg
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2009
Supporter
hello i suffer from this and gotten worse since my menopause and no periods..non specific vaginitis can cause fishy smell as for unknown reasons the bacteria multiplies through stress or change of partner..some spermicidal creams also used with barrier contraceptives may also cause it and unfortunately no specific cure yet...loads of us women suffer it and have been various threads on the forum regards it so your not alone..
I use cranberry juice and find it does help but not take away fully..
my doctor explained it too me as i was embarrased by the odour..so no need to worry its not anything you have done and its hormonal..
|

replied November 10th, 2009
Angeln! You are not alone i cannot figure it out to save my life i have been to the DR multiple times with the same symptoms! And i to have noticed it only happens after intercource and before and after my cycle! I have tried antibiotics and creams nothing has helped! It is a very embarassing problem to! I am tempted to have it removed! I also would like to know what to do about this problem!
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Hey yall, I also have the paragurad IUD and ive had it for about 11 months now. I have to noticed that I have a foul ododr before my cycle and after my cycle, also after sexual intercourse. I thought I had an infection, but after asking my doctor and he said I didnt have one and asking my girlfriends they are have the same problem. I'm going to get it removed and just take the pills. I've never had this problem until I started this IUD. The only reason why I got this type of birth control because I knew it didnt have any hormones, and I didn't like taking the pills. But if the pills aren't going to give me a foul odor and make me feel uncomfortable then I'm getting on pills. What do you all think?
|

replied March 26th, 2010
Paragard
I just got my paragard inserted last week and it wasn't to bad.I bled for a couple of days and had bad cramps but now a week later, my discharge is really weird. Its like light and then brown and then light and then brown. It doesn't have a foul smell but i can smell myself so I'm always self concious that other people can too. I've been psyching myself out readin everyones stories, but i'm going to try to wait it out and see how it goes. I just need to find a way to be more comfy down there. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what she recommends. Everyone reacts to everything differently so the safest bet is to just wait it out and see how it goes. If its to much to handle, get it removed. My life is to hectic to be continously dealing with the side effects of hormonal birth control. Does anyone have any tips on how to be more comfy in that region or is that just a lost cause?
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
Not loving it.
I've had paraguard for about 6 months and noticed after a couple of months that I could smell myself when using the bathroom during my period. It's very unpleasant for me. Just recently I have had pressure in the pelvic area and some cramping. There is also a white discharge I find when I test for the string which, until this month, I was unable to feel. Not sure if I will keep this thing in. Yaz made life a lot easier than this.
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I am 42 years old and have had my Paraguard for about 4 months. I love not having to worry about hormonal side effects at this time in my life. The possiblity of stroke from hormones at my age are just too great. I am disappointed in the discharge and odor associated with the device. I constantly have to wear a liner and I am conserned that other people can smell me. I have not fully decided what to do, but after spending $400.00 to get the thing, I keep hoping that the side effects will go away. Any suggestions?
|

replied August 20th, 2010
I too have had a Paragard for almost 6 years and just in the past couple of months I have had this awful smell. I was afraid that I was alone in this. I don't know if I should get it removed or not. At first I thought that it was a UTI and my doctor treated me for one, but it didn't help. I still have the same fishy smell. I have been under tremendous stress lately, but I really think that it has something to do with the IUD and no other cause. Does anybody know how much it costs to get it removed?
|

replied October 11th, 2010
I am 39 and have had my Paraguard IUD for 4 years. I am in a committed relationship for the past 2 years, and I have had problems with that AWFUL fishy smell. It started within the past year. Its only been a handful of times, but it seems to be getting more regular. It comes right before I start, and sometimes it stays around for a few days after I finish my cycle. I've tried a couple rounds of antibiotics as well. It did seem to help, but I do not like taking them. My major concern, and why I'm considering removing it, is the hair loss. My hair has been falling out since I got it. Thank God I was blessed with thick hair. I've decided to remove mine, and I will look for other options. But I do not want to be bald and have a fishy odor. Good luck!
|

replied July 21st, 2011
I had the paraguard for the last 3 years and had it changed about 2 years into my 10 years b/c it was out of place. I also had a strange discharge yellow at times and a foul smell after sex and after my period. With all of those lovely things I also had several cervical infections and vaginal infections. I couldnt take it any more and switched to the Mirena and I have been odor free every since. My own theory is that the copper in the Paraguard may not agree with everyones body.
|

replied October 18th, 2011
It's the Ph levels
I am 37 and have 2 kids under 6. I have had my Paraguard for 17 months and started noticing a foul odor about 3 months ago. I had no clue what it could be. I never had an std or any problems down there. I didn't even learn about BV until I researched it and went to the dr for a culture. In the last 3 months I have been treated twice for BV with antibiotics. It would be fine for about 2 weeks and then I would notice the smell again. Like most of you, I got this IUD to be comfortable while being intimate and now that's all gone because I'm always thinking about and managing this smell.
I found out about the Ph factor in all this. I took Rephresh pills and inserted the gel and while it worked great, I knew it was too expensive to be a long term solution. I looked into Femonol as well, but sooo expensive. So I looked up the ingredients in both and found they compared well to Femdophilus from The Vitamin Shoppe and its only $20 for a 30 day bottle. I have been taking 2 a day now for about a week and the smell has gotten much better! Still not great...but I will try it for another month and if it doesn't get better...out this sucker comes and I'm getting my tubes tied! I'll be damned if I'm going to spend the rest of my life battling pills and hormones or horrible smells! We women deserve better!!
|

replied November 6th, 2012
Super helpful, Im battling the same issue. Guess I better hit up the vitamin store because I wont trade my iud for something I can fix with a few probiotics. Smile Thank you!
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Contraceptive Options
OMG - I am SO glad I found this forum! I have been (had been) considering having a Paraguard inserted, but after these issues witht he smell and the hair loss, I will not do it. I'd had the Depo shot for several years, but I don't like how it makes me feel. I also noticed that when I stopped getting the Depo shot, my hair started falling out. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to stop the hair loss?
|

replied April 18th, 2012
paragard side effects
hi there im so glad im not the only one with this problem i have had the paragard for three months and im also cosidering getting it removed i get very bad lower back aches and horrible migranes on top of the smell idk what to do does anyone elses have these problems
|

replied May 12th, 2012
I have had a Paragard for about a year now and I have since had a problem with odor. I am not sexually active so I knew it was not an STD/STI problem however my dr. tested me anyways. They came back negative. She said it was probably a bacterial infection and gave me antibiotics. It worked great for about a month. I have since had 3 more rounds of antibiotics because of this. I am also a chemistry major and my guess is that the copper in Paragard throws off the pH levels in some women and causes them to get infections. It will be worst after intercourse and your menstrual cycle because that is when the cervix housing the IUD is most open. Now.. here is what I have found as a solution but I am not endorsing this since I am not a Dr. or anything but this is what works for me.... Given that the pH levels are off causing infections and odor I decided to naturally balance out my pHlevel down there. If I start to notice a slight smell down there I very carefully use a large Q-tip dipped in plain white vinegar and clean the inside of my vagina. The vinegar is more acidic bringing my pH level back to a more basic. I generally only have to do this one or two times and I am okay until the next flare-up. I have told my Dr. about this and while she doesn't approve of it entirely, she says that they commonly use vinegar to cleanse the vagina in a similar manner when performing a colposcopy. So there you go. I love my Paragard for the fact that there are no crazy hormones to deal with. The side effect is a bummer but all birth control methods have side effects and solutions. I highly recommend a Paragard.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
I've been on the paragard for about six years and I too have been experiencing the same fishy odor for the past year and a half. What I've been using to control the odor are these suppositories called "Norforms" I can't live without them now they are very inexpensive. I get them at Walmart or at any pharmacy they cost about $5 the most I've ever paid was $7. You insert them before bed and and it controls the odor for about 1 week and its safe to use everyday if need be. I know exactly what you ladies are going through and I'm still considering getting it removed and getting back on the pills...or my husband will have to get snipped!!
|

replied July 31st, 2012
I'm So Done with the Paragard IUD
I am having my Paragard removed today. I've had it for 11 months and I can no longer cope with the odor after intercourse, when I ovulate, then before and after my menstrual cycle. The odor is putrid and foul. The discharge is brownish-yellowish, which looks like it could be an infection. I've been treated for bacterial infections (because I thought I had one), but it comes right back within a few weeks. It is the copper mixing with my natural discharge. I wear tampons during my cycle because blood doesn't smell until it hits air, but the odor when I remove my tampon is so horrendous that it makes me sick to my stomach. I've had enough! I'll just have to use condoms from now on....
|

replied September 25th, 2012
EWWWW
I've had paragard for only almost 3 months. I had to choose it due to the fact that I talk blood pressure medication. They said that it doesn't mess with your hormones. I heard bad things about it, but the say everyones body responds differently. Before gettingh it placed, I was having a heavy flow of moisture which I thought would stop once my cycle came. But after my cycle ended it seem to get worst. Along with the moisture, in which i have to wear a liner all the time, I let off the mucus that comes with ovulation. But instead of just that one and a half a day of it, it continues on for almost the remainder of the days through the month. I have a loud odor as well as sometimes the fishy odor too. I haven't had sex since I've had it placed.I went had it checked for a infection, and the results came back negative. I think I will be getting this removed soon. Plus the the strings are too long. I like my appearance to be well kept and i refuse to be stinky!!!!
|

replied November 5th, 2012
i am so glad to hear that i am not the only one with this problem. it is horrible to constantly be spraying your self and your surroundings because you can smell yourself. My odor starts like eveyone elses i have read, after sex and before and after my cycle. While i like the vinegar idea from one reader, i am a little scared to insert a q-tip up there so i am going to try the "Norforms".
|

replied November 13th, 2012
I feel so much better that I found this page. Ugh I thought I was going crazy. I had my iud inserted back in August and at first I was crampin, a little heavey bleeding, but then after awhile it started to smell like metal sometimes blood but I let it slide. The bleeding finally stopped, but then when I started having sex and having plenty of it, it started to smell real bad like embarassing bad like open your legs and the smell would punch u in the face if I didnt wear a pantyliner bad. I know its not an std theres no burning or itchiness, my discharge is normal my Bf had std test bcuz we separated for awhile n he went whorin around while he had a chance n everything came back fine.tyg. n now when i comb my hair like clumps of it are coming out. I would wash it n a bunch of it would be intangled in my fingers on my shoulders n down mY back.smh even when i would put it in a ponytail it would come out n very easily, so i trimmed it n it helped a lil bit, i still have long strands coming out but not as much. In another couple of months when Im done breastfeeding, im goin to have it taken out n get bk on the pill!!
|

replied November 28th, 2012
OMG, I thought i was the only one. i have had my paragard for about 6 months and the smell is very unpleasant i use the bathroom and instantly the smell hits my nose. i can not take it no more im getting the pill. I tried the depo shot but while on that i can not control my eating and i am not to dedicated to exercising.
|

replied February 11th, 2013
funky vaginal odor caused by paragard
Thank you ladies for sharing your experience with the paragard. Ive had it for a week now but Im so embarrassed by the smell that I dont want to have sex with my husband. Not to mention oral sex! I wanted to be safe a have a birth control that will give me no worry about daily routine or hormones but this isnt worth it! I guess its back to the old drawing board or pills maybe the today sponge for me. At 40, I have more risks to worry about than my 20s or 30s.
|

replied April 28th, 2013
IUD caused Grossness!
After getting my IUD I noticed a terrible smell and lots of discharge.

I found a website that suggested the following and it worked like a charm.

1. Get a children's medicine dispenser with a bulb on the end (like a mini turkey baster). I just asked the pharmacist for one.
2. Get Hydrogen Peroxide, Apple Cider Vinegar, Tea Tree oil, and a box of Super and Regular tampons.
3. Use the medicine dispenser to douche with pure Hydrogen peroxide, I did this a couple times.
4. Take the Regular tampon out of the dispenser and throw away the dispenser, use the dispenser from the Super tampon. Soak the Regular tampon in Tea Tree oil and then slide it into the Super dispenser. Insert it into the vagina for about 3 hours and then remove.
5. Wait a little while and then use the medical dispenser to douche the vagina with Apple Cider Vinegar, again I did this a couple times.

The next day I had no discharge and no smell. I instantly felt better while doing all of the above. I was scared that not diluting any of the above mentioned would burn, but it didn't...I just felt refreshed and relieved. But if burning does occur you can dilute with water.

I had a week free of smell and discharge. A little after the week mark, I noticed a little discharge again, not nearly as smelly. So I did the whole thing over again and am symptom free. I don't know if this will have to be a weekly treatment or not, but even if I have to do this 1x a week, it is not expensive and it solves my problem!

Hope this can help someone else. I was told this could help with BV infections and Yeast infections.
|
12 >>