Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

OCD and problems using the bathroom

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
My son is almost 18. He's been DXd with OCD, anxiety and panic disorders, on the spectrum of Bipolar...the MAIN issue is...when he was in 9th grade..I had him placed in a county facility for two weeks as he was WAY out of hand for a single mother to handle..lying, stealing,doing drugs, drinking, etc. He claims it's the best thing I've ever done for him. The problem is...since that period of time, he was told he must submit to periodic urine drops...he was forced to attend an "alternative high school" (a converted elementry school) where the restroom facilities are within the class rooms. That was four years ago...it has gotten to the point now..where the young man cannot use ANY restroom but at home..has no Social life bcus of not being able to use restrooms..and now..even at home..he has serious problems!! He says it feels like his urinary tract just blocks off when he feels the urge to urinate..he'll walk in to the rest room..and Bam..nothing but discomfort...I need some direction here..!! Please!! I'm attempting to launch him., without much success..I have another son, 21 who is Social, plays Collegiate Soccer and plans to attend Med School..like night and day. The younger son had to quit school as they would not accomodate his restroom facilities issues as needed..
I'm planning on a fourth attempt with counseling..he was on Pristiq and Klonopin, which he flushed down the toilet yesterday after a rage..HELP!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Supporter
What is the fear based on? Cleanliness issues? Punishment?
|

He, honestly, hasn't the faintest idea...he is extremely clean..showers a few times a day (OCD) and washes his own clothing...etc.. and it isn't from being around others to use the restroom...it seems to be have started with the school scenario and has manifested now to everywhere!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Treatments that combine medicines and therapy are often effective. Have you considered antipsychotic medications?

Some clinical trials are on that he might participate in ... but try to get treatment soon! You might need to consult a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist.

Clinical trials for OCD
|