Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

nuva ring and early period (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
i've been on nuva ring for a year and i've had nothing but good experiences with it. i've always used it perfectly. i put it in and take it out on sunday evenings, always. this is my third week with the ring in and i started my period on thursday, two days ago. so about a full week early (my periods don't normally start until the tuesday or wednesday after i take the ring out). thursday it was light but yesterday (and now today) it's a normal period with all the normal symptoms. Should I be concerned? Should I leave the ring in until Sunday (tomorrow) night like I normally would? Or take it out now?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jeniray99
|

replied March 28th, 2009
one more thing...
also, i've been fairly stressed out the last 6 weeks or so. i know stress can affect the menstrual cycle, but i've never started a period early while on the ring.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
the exact same thing happened to me this month! i've been on nuva ring for about 3 months and it has never happened before. then the week my ring was out, my period didn't come at all? so confusing... please help!
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Same thing has happened to me the past two months... I wonder if the manufacturer sent out some rings that weren't as strong, or ran out of the "medicine" they released too early or something??
|

replied January 21st, 2010
I have just had this happen to me too and I have been using the ring for roughly 6 months now with no prior problems. I am starting my period and the ring is due to come out Tuesday. Since I am having a period (and that, in theory, is the reason for removal for a week), should I put a new one right away Tuesday and skip the week out?
|

replied January 28th, 2010
Same thing with me, except mine is about 2 and a half weeks early... sorta wonder about it. Not sure what is going on? I have been on Nuvaring for 4 months now and this is the first time this has happened.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
Early Period on Nuvaring
I've been on the Nuvaring a year and this is the first time that my period has come a week early. Last month it came a couple days later than usual. There wasn't even 28 days between last time and this time. It makes me worried about what's going on with my body.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Nuva Ring
Hey ladies,
The same thing has been happening to me recently. I''ve been on the Nuvaring for about 5 years now. I''ve never had an early period in my life; however in March I got my period a week early. It was fine in April, now in May I''ve gotten it a week early once again. I saw a CNP today and she said that its not something to worry about yet. To monitor it for another month and if it comes early again to go in. I was wondering though if the manufacturer made some sort of mistake this year. The last three months I''ve used a ring from a package of three. I''ll have to see how the next month goes, but it unnerving to have an early period and not have a reason for it.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Also the CNP said to leave the ring in for the regular amount of time. Actually she said to leave it in until the bleeding stops, but didn't clarify what this all meant when I asked if I should leave it in beyond the 3 weeks. Never take it out early. However if you take it out early, once you put your new ring in it will take 7 days before the ring will prevent pregnancy again.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Hello ladies, I have the same problem and this is the response I found on a health information websites:

"NuvaRing: Early or Late Periods?
Although most women have regular periods while using the NuvaRing, this does not mean it will necessarily hold true for you. In fact, some women will experience early or late periods while using the NuvaRing®, depending on how their bodies react to the hormones. If your period cycle changes dramatically when you start using the hormonal vaginal ring, you should talk to your doctor"

Hope this helps Smile
|

replied July 21st, 2010
EARLY PERIOD ON RING
Hello SAME PROBLEM I started my period about a week early and it' s a pretty expensive form of birthcontrol. I can't afford and don't want to think about the ring every 2 weeks.. that is the whole point to the ring is to not have to think about it for a while.. should I just go ahead and put a new ring in.. I feel like my body absorbs the hormone right away and it doesn't last the full 3 weeks.. HELP!!
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Early period?
I have been on the Nuvaring for almost 3 years. I started spotting some brown and red discharge a week before my period was suppose to start. Since being on the BC, my period has always been on time, exact day and everything. It has not been constant bleeding like a regular period,I just bleed for a few times a day...sometimes it's brown, sometimes it's red. I took my Nuvaring out yesterday like I was suppose to. Also, the day before the discharge started, I had some lower abdominal pain. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what it could mean? I am suppose to start my period in two days, should I wait till after my period and put a new nuvaring in and see if it stops? or just call the doctor right away?
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
It's happened to me. I just started spotting while the ring is still in place. I skipped my "one week off" this month so it might be the hormones. I didn't give my body a break from it I guess but I have done this before (the skipping a period) and didn't spot at all until now. It's brown spotting. I don't know what is going on. I am supposed to remove the ring on Monday. Hopefully I'll get my period on Wednesday like im supposed to.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Early period?
I have been on the Nuvaring for almost 3 years. I started spotting some brown and red discharge a week before my period was suppose to start. Since being on the BC, my period has always been on time, exact day and everything. It has not been constant bleeding like a regular period,I just bleed for a few times a day...sometimes it's brown, sometimes it's red. I took my Nuvaring out yesterday like I was suppose to. Also, the day before the discharge started, I had some lower abdominal pain. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what it could mean? I am suppose to start my period in two days, should I wait till after my period and put a new nuvaring in and see if it stops? or just call the doctor right away?
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Early period?
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Early Periods
This has happened to me the last three months...early periods. What worries me is they are coming earlier and earlier. First time just a few days, second time a week, this time almost two weeks! What if they are not working at all...I'm not looking to have anymore babies! FYI been on Nuva Ring for 7 years.
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Early Periods
This has happened to me the last three months...early periods. What worries me is they are coming earlier and earlier. First time just a few days, second time a week, this time almost two weeks! What if they are not working at all...I'm not looking to have anymore babies! FYI been on Nuva Ring for 7 years.
|

replied July 28th, 2011
I have been having the same exact issues-I have been on it for a year. I just started getting spotting/red discharge, cramping 2 weeks early. However-I did take the morning after pill two days before I inserted my new ring because everyone around me is having pregnancy scares, and I was concerned after having sex without the ring in(2 days before i put the new ring in). I have taken the morning after pill before- and it did not start quite this early. Has anyone ever taken plan B while on nuva ring and had a similar experience?
|

replied October 1st, 2011
Holy crap, I've had the same problem! I have never, ever had an early period. Two months ago, my period came five days earlier than usual, last month was fine, and this month I started SEVEN days early! As long as I've been on NuvaRing, I've had my periods like clockwork, the Tuesday after I remove the NuvaRing at about 4 pm, and now this? I've also had ridiculous PMS for like 2 straight weeks before and the week during my period for the past 4 months or so, which includes migraines, intense cramps, insane mood-swings (like literally insane), hard-core cravings for several days, followed by nausea and an inability to eat for several days. I have never had such intense symptoms before; minus the cramps, which I used to have really bad before I started using the NuvaRing. (BTW, not pregnant, I've ruled that out by testing myself about a billion times every week or so because it does really seem like I should be but I'm not.) I don't know if they tried to cut down the hormones in it or something to cut costs the past couple months or what, but it's seriously wreaking havoc with my body and I do not like it. I just got some new ones, and if they don't work better I'm going to give them a call or something, because this is seriously messing me up. I have my annual tomorrow and I'm going to talk to them about it and see if they can do anything about it, but I don't think there will be. Good luck, all.
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Hey guys!
I've been on the ring for almost a year.
No problems this time I was a week early and my period is usually 3 days, but today im on day 5 HEAVY BLEEDING?
What is going on?
I took my ring out on the day I was suppose to. I thought it would stop after that but it has not
I dont know what to do
|

replied November 18th, 2011
I'm going thru that right now. I have been on the nuvaring off & on for a few years now. I just started 2 weeks after my last period (I'm in my ovulation cycle as it came on). Does anyone know if it still provides the birth control protection? FYI I have left it in to finish the full cycle of the ring. This is really annoying to have this problem. I am definitely changing birth controls!
|
12 >>