Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Nursing Baby Mice

User Profile
Well, we cleaned out our garage and a family of possums are living in there. Okay, that's fine, we'll keep our peace with them. But we also found three dead baby mice and two alive ones, and no mom.

Left them there for quite some time, no mother returned, so...

We are nursing baby mice. They are eating well (replacement mother's milk stuff from the pet store and droppers), and we are making sure they are doing alright. They have hair and it looks like their eyes are going to open soon.

They are adorable. Any positive energy you can send towards Checkers and Mustard would be appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
ablsolutly---i hope that they make it--any picts? also make sur that you clean those droppers out with bleach or someting to kill bactetia. that happened to some bunnies i raised. they got sick and died.
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Okay, good advice! Thanks!
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
how are mustard and checkers doing today?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for asking, they are still fine and spritely little buggers! Cute as a button, too.

I must have the word "SUCKER" plastered on my forehead, really. Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2008
haha, are you planning on keeping them forever or jsut til they get older? I raised a bunny like that one time, we were camping for the weekend and I found him (we had set a big box on him) but he was alive and i helped himall weekend, finally he was well enough and ran away on his own. you are not the only sucker out there. I am one of the biggest suckers when it comes to animals
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Well, we are really attached but recognize we have no business keeping mice. I think we'll really have to be true mothers and let them go out into the wild. *sniff*
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i know that is the hardest part---so you named them checkers and mustard? howd you come up with that???
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Well, Mustard died yesterday. Sad He was alot smaller than Checkers and we were worried. He did get his eyes open a little so he got to see before he died.

Yesterday, my bf took Mustard to work while he was still alive to feed him and take care of him because he knew something was up. Later, he knew it wasn't going well so he sat out in his car and pet him until he died.

It's sad, we did everything we could.

Checkers, however, is kicking it. He is a fast little bugger and I think he'll make it.
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2008
that is so sad, i would have cried if I saw my bf doing that, it is so sweet Sad i can tell how attached you both are to these little guys.

I hope checkers makes it, is sounds like he is doing good though Smile that is a little good news
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
come on checkers! we cant win with all of them---you did your best--and that is what matters
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Checkers didn't make it. Sad Never had a mouse had two people just bawling heartsick over him. We did what we could, it was just so sad. Thanks for your support. I'm glad we did tried.
|