Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

Nurse with PTB

Hello, I have this problem, I had a minimal PTB last 2004 and I was already healed after 6 months medication. I am now enrolled as a nursing student because I am under petition by my mom in the US. Now, my question is would US allow nurses to work who had a history of tubeculosis? Million thanks in advance.

bluerthanblue
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jellybean17
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
You cannot be discriminated against if you have a history of TB. Yes, you can work here in the US as long as you have a negative MTB or TB sputum test. You are required by law to tell your prospective employer about your past TB status as well as your current TB status.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Thank you so much ma'am for your reply, it had relieved my anxiety. Would you mind ma'am if I ask you this? Are you working in a hospital in the US? Thanks again in advance. God Bless you and your family.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes, I am. I work at a Naval Hospital.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Yes, You can work as a nurse in the US even though you have a history of tb.. your tb skin test will always show positive just because you have been exposed, but as long as your chest xray is negative then you will be fine!! Good luck
|

replied March 29th, 2010
@TexasAngel1206 = maam my xray always show a scar of PTB eventhough I am healed years ago. It is always mistaken as active by the radiologist not unless I ask them to compare it with my previous xrays. How can I deal with that maam? I really wanted to be a nurse but my medical xrays always show that findings. My sputum is negative already and I have clearance from two doctors because I seek second opinion and I have been treated. Will they consider that as a scar? Can I still work in the US?
|

replied May 12th, 2010
please i need an answer.
after a long process of paper work and medical examination, i got here in US last year,i was delayed in my medical cause they had me undergo a smear test and culture test, gladly after almost 3 months of waiting the result is negative, honestly i had that tb before, healed by udergoing in a 6 months medication, my question is can i study a nursing course here in US even if i had a tb history? i am planning to enroll this summer, i hope that tb history wont stop me from building a career here in US.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
hi...
hello ma''am..i''m a student..and my x-ray findings is "irregular hazed infiltrates in the left upper lung", so according to the radiologist i have minimal PTB..i want to cry when i''ve read the result what should i do?? please help..i''m 19 yrs old..shelane is my name..wait for your reply..

thank you very much and more power.
|

replied July 30th, 2010
Goodmorning!! i will just ask what if the X-ray shows that there is a scar after the treatment of PTB for 6 months? Will i still be accepted to US if ever i'll apply to work as a nurse? Cause i'm a fresh graduate of Nursing. Thank you..i hope you'll reply..i really want to know..
|

replied July 6th, 2011
After 6 months treatment

Hi Ive been treaten after 6 months DOTS for PTB.
Still I can feel back pains on my right upper lung.
what should be done with this?
should i have another treatment?
or this is natural?
|

replied July 8th, 2011
i''m student and i'm playing soccer in my school. I had an PTB MINIMAL, on December last year. Ask ko lng po, when i'm playing soccer in my school, we can come back again ? and what VITAMINS i can't Drunk..??
|

replied July 12th, 2011
Hi there,i m very stressed that when i came to nz i had my medical for immigration everything was good and fine but nw i want to renew my visa so went for medical but its showing scar in my x-ray which is healed long time back but i nvr had any problem in my life bt how come its showing nw but not in earlier x-ray....could anyone plz help me bcz i m very tensed..plz
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
back pains still after 6 months treatment? please help
After 6 months treatment

Hi Ive been treaten after 6 months DOTS for PTB.
Still I can feel back pains on my right upper lung.
what should be done with this?
should i have another treatment?
or this is natural?
|

replied September 10th, 2011
hello! im a registered nurse,planning to apply for a student visa in new zealand..i have a ptb history..i would just like to ask of the chances of acquiring a visa despite my health history? thanks!
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
Hi, Im from nz and i have a ptb history. Im planning to study nursing next year. I just wanted to know if you were accepted as a nurse in nz? thanks!
|

replied April 20th, 2013
hi,i have a history of ptb a years ago,i've taken a medical for my work that i aplied,then they found that, in my medical have a minimal ptb..why should i do?shall i be taken a medicine again?please help me...

thank you,hoping for your response..
|
Quick Reply