Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Numbness of left side of big TOE

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
User Profile
Numb on the left side of the right toe.!

The left side of my right big toe in somewhat numb! this semester i am doing my internship at an Elementary School and
im on my feet all day, i also had been wearing tight flat shoes that were very uncomfortable i really want this to be the reason why. It has been like this for 3-4 weeks already, i can feel pressure and if i pinch i can feel some discomfort its just when i rub it that it feels numb!

Im a very paranoid person and this is really bothering me! can someone please tell me what might be the cause of this?
I've read that it might be a symptom of diabetes! Only my grandmother had diabetes, NO uncles aunts, cousins, or parents have it. I have no frequent urination problems or thirst.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
cmpa2008,

Numbness is a sign that a nerve is asleep. Contrary to what our mothers told us about a numb foot (after you sit on it for a while) being due to the circulation being cut off, that is incorrect. It is due to the nerves being compressed. When the compression is removed, the nerve will wake up.

So, numbness in the first web space of the foot (space between the great and second toe) is actually classic for compression of the deep peroneal nerve. In some cases, it can also signal a nerve root compression in the lower lumbar spine.

Though the numbness signals a nerve compression, it does not tell the cause or exact location.

It is not uncommon for the deep peroneal nerve to be compressed around the knee or anywhere along its course through the leg. It is sometimes seen in people who have to squat a lot (baseball catchers) or people who wear leg braces around the region of the knee. Anything tight and constricting around the leg can put pressure on the nerves.

Since it is located in such a discrete location (and a known nerve distribution), it is very doubtful to be caused by a systemic problem such as a metebolic problem (diabetes or thyroid problems). These tend to cause a much more diffuse numbness and tingling, in both feet.

If the numbness does not go away, you should have it evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon or a neurologist.

Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: cmpa2008 

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2012
Thank you for your respond it was very helpful, also i suffer from scoliosis i do not know if that is related to it, but definitely the shoes might be a cause for this. I also had a car accident two months ago and had whiplash injuries to the neck i dont know if this might trigger this.

Thank You!
|
Quick Reply