Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Numbness of jaw, face, and neck when eating

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello,

For about the last 2 weeks, i have been experiencing numbness in the right side of my face near the jaw area and on the right side of my neck everytime i eat something. My ear also feels numb. I have no clue what is causing this. The numbness goes away about 15-20 minutes after i finish eating. To make things even stranger, i suddenly also feel this numbness when i am experiencing high levels of stress. Has this ever happened to anyone or does anyone have the slightest idea about what might be causing this?
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LKT
|

replied November 24th, 2009
Hi LKT,

I have similar sensations but they occur on the left side of my face. The area where you would normally apply blush and down to the jawline. It started with an ear problem. The doctor at a clinic said there was no infection, but an ENT I saw later said it was probably Eustacian Tube Dysfunction. Anyhow, one month of no numbness later, and now every time I get anxious or panicky the same area goes numb. This worries me so much that a host of other neurological symptoms come join the party in my body (tingling, pins and needles, heaviness in the limbs, heart palps). Numbness is a very common sign of Anxiety, but is also common with chemical poisoning, intolerance or allergy to shellfish, TMJ or misalignment in your dental bite, Bells Palsy. It could pertain to your neck as well. A bulging or slipped disc in the cervical (neck) area of the spine could cause these problems, which would naturally be exacerbated with stress (because of the tension). One other thought, and you'd have to verify this for yourself, is that I've heard that people suffering from a prolapsed valve (and many anxiety sufferers are) can have facial numbness. This might make you feel a bit better, I was diagnosed with cancer in January and went to see my oncologist today (I'm currently cancer-free and am doing great) and I told him about the face numbness and he said he would do a CT scan, but he didn't seem overly worried, and said I could wait through the holidays to get it done. Obviously I'm prone to cancer/tumors, and even he's not worried. He thinks it's most likely stress, but knows that I won't "move on" until I get that negative diagnosis. The one thing I will say on a personal level, is that MS and other serious neurological problems aren't as bad as they were a couple decades ago, because the treatments have come so far. Also, continuing to worry will often decrease your quality of life more than the actual diagnosis might. Just a thought! Let me know if you find out what it is!! Best of luck to you. And remember... BREATHE!

Mindee
|
Did you find this post helpful?