Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Numbness in hands when elbows bent

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I hope this is where it belongs. Could not find a close match to post it.

It seems that if I keep my elbows bent for a period of time my hands will go numb. The left hand seems to be more sensitive to this. It makes playing my PSP difficult. Once the hands go numb I cant controll it anymore. They have to be bent more than 90 degree angle for it to happen. The elbows do not need to be laying on anything. They can just be bent in mid air. I would say it takes about 5 minutes for the numbness to set in (if the bend of the elbow is sustained) straiting my arm will give feeling back to my hands.

Is this an issue to take to the doc or am I just over reacting?

-Del

edit:: I forgot to mention that my left arm will sometimes be in pain. in the shoulder area and the lower part below the elbow. Just pulsating pain I put about at a 7. No the chest does not have any pain at all when it happens.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2008
Supporter
You are probably compressing a nerve which is causing your symptoms. Are you leaning on something while playing your PSP? How long do you usually play for?

You should take regular breaks to avoid damaging the tissue and nerve bundles. If problems persist, see your GP.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I'd also suggest that start strengthening your arms, shoulders, lower and upper arms by bearing weight on them. You might try a few yoga poses like dolphin pose, downward facing dog and plank pose.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/an atomical_focus/arms
|