Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Numbness in hands, feet, mouth, tongue, lips, back

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
About 72 hours ago, my wife began having numbness and loss of sensation in her hands. Shortly afterwards her feet, lips, mouth and tongue began to do the same. She also developed a severe headache and backache. We've seen our GP, OB (she had a spinal tap/cesarean/child birth about 2 weeks ago), as well as a neurologist. The neuro has scheduled some MRI's for Monday. He said if things got worse in the meantime to go to the ER. We went to the ER last night because her back pain was unbearable. They gave her some pain meds and sent us home (the neuro also prescribed steroids and flexeril - the flex didn't help but she's continuing the steroids). This morning, her backpain is gone, but her headache persists and now her back is numb and she feels leg weakness or perhaps loss of balance (she's not specific) and is having trouble navigating the stairs.

She's had a ton of blood tests (including tests for her thyroid) as well as a CAT scan last night and everything has come back normal except the "sed" test (probably spelled wrong). The doctor indicated that it was only slightly abnormal which "may" indicate an infection. Otherwise there are no other symptoms. She has no fever, nausea, vomiting, diaharrea, fatigue, etc. They checked for signs and symptoms of GBS (she had DTaP vaccine in the hospital), which were not there her strength and reflexes are both good.

This seems to be getting worse rather than better, and we're starting to get worried that it will progress. She has had an MRI in the past to check for MS, and it was negative as well.

Waiting until Monday and the MRIs is killing us, and we're worried that although we're getting care, that something may be overlooked.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 11th, 2011
numbness
It sounds like Gullian Barre Syndrome. Did you ever find out what it was/is?
|

replied December 13th, 2012
Thank you
Just wanted to let you know that my friend was just diagnosed with Gullian Barre Syndrome. Your post was extremely usefull to identify what he had. Thank you for taking the time to reply to people in need; God bless and happy Holidays to you. Today is Dec 13 2012, your post is dated Sept 11 2011, I hope this note gets to you so you know you did good. I also whish a prompt recovery to my friend, father of two young kids and happily married to a wonderfull wife.
|

replied July 10th, 2012
My fiance had the same symptoms. When he went to the ER they did blood work & tests and even a cat scan because he was having severe stomach pains. But everything came back normal...But in the ambulance that same day they said that he was having mini like stroke symptoms he is only 20.!!! A few years back he had bleeding in stomach he was amitted to the hospital & spent a few days there when out of knowhere the bleeding dissapeared. About a week ago he peed blood & it could be a uti or bleeding in his stomach again but he is soo stubborn and refuses to go to the hospital.
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
Numbness hands, feet, tongue with aches in back, joints, stomach
I have the same issue as the woman originally posted. I have been dealing with this since my late teens. I am now 42. Believe it or not, going gluten free helps with this. I am currently gluten and dairy free, yet if I eat gluten or get contamination my symptoms return that same night. I get numb hands and feet, my tongue feels numb and swollen, my back, hips, etc. begin to hurt. It also causes stomach, intestinal, and sleep problems, as well as affecting how I think. I feel foggy, get irritable, etc. My husband can tell when I am getting contamination. I have not been diagnosed with celiac or gluten intolerance, since my insurance doesn't pay for anything. I just know that my body can't handle it, and my symptoms get scary if I do eat it. I would recommend eating fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables for a while and see if they feel better. If so, then try adding in gluten free grains one at a time and see if they are doing ok. Gluten free grains include rice, buckwheat, amaranth, etc. Be careful that these grains are listed as gluten free on the package. Oats are contaminated big time, but there are a few brands that are gluten free (like Bob's Red Mill has a gluten free variety, but must choose the package that says gluten free). They say to stay off of oats for a year then try it to see if it works for you. If not, then stay away from it. If you are as sensitive as I am, you may not handle contamination. By the way, it is amazing how little sleep I get when I don't eat right. I hope this helps.
|

replied September 25th, 2012
My little sister, who is 13 just told me that her left hand is numb and so is her tongue. If she leaves her hand still, her fingers begin to curl up. It would be really helpful if anyone knew something.
|

replied October 14th, 2012
Urgent question
Hi there, did you found what was the disease name? Thanks a lot!
|