Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

numbness and tingling of tongue

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I feel silly for just not going to the doctor on this, but I figured I'd post.

For the past couple of weeks I've had on and off mild numbness/tingling on the tip of my tongue (almost like I burnt it), lips, and minor parts of the right side of my face-- cheek, temple, chin (all in no particular order or sequence). I've been describing it as how you feel in the very beginning after-effects of a shot of Novocaine. (I haven't had any dental work done since last summer) I've been told it could be poor nutrition-- but don't believe that to be the only answer. I have a few theories, but would like some other opinions... baffle
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wonky
|

replied April 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to the forums
Now this one for me is a hard one to even touch on. You do have tiny capillaries in your tounge that do end at the tip. This one really has me stumped. I think you should have it look into. Are you on any medications right now? Some give very crazy side effects.
Let us know please how you make out.
|

replied April 30th, 2008
follow up Macca9
Did you ever find out what was going on. This sounds very similar to my brother's condition. You can reach me at Oldevillagerun1895 @ ya hoo dot com
|

replied July 19th, 2009
I have been unable to obtain a dignoses for tingling tongue. I had a MRI but nothing showed. I am told it is the lack of vitmin B-12, but that does not seem to help. What type of doctor is best for this?
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Tingling on Right Side of Tongue
I too have tingling on the right side of my tongue. The doctor and dentist just blew me off. It really bugs me. Where do I go from here?
|

replied February 28th, 2010
I recently have been having the exact same symptoms. It started out as the tip of my tongue going numb then to the right side of my face.......I'm scared to call the doctor...
|

replied May 13th, 2010
I too feel silly, but want to know why I am having this funny feeling in my tongue, and mouth. My tongue is tingling at the end as if I had a shot on novacaine and my teeth aches, and I suck my lips often. This feeling is driving me nuts. I know I need to go to the Dr. but, I just feel silly and they probaly think I'm crazy.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
Numbness on tongue
I too have had the same reaction for a while a numbness on the tip of my tongue...along with allergies (ears killing me and post nasal drip). I have done to the doctor and he placed me on antibiotics in the past...no help! I have no toothache and even went for bloodwork...no vitamin deficiency...Go figure! Doctors Can"t!??
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
I have had this problem in the past and just started with it again when i had it in the past the Dr said it was neuralgia gave me carbamazapine this did help eventually but now i have got it again this is exatly the same problem as you all i have numbness of the tongue at the front and the right side it is not painfull but really aggravates i always take vitamin B12 anyway so it cannot be anything to do with that
|

replied June 28th, 2011
Numb tongue
I just recently had Septuplasty, thats where a deviated septum is corrected. I noticed the tip of my tongue is numb. Like others said it is not painful, just causes concern. I called the Doc today but have yet to get an answer.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
burning tongue
Hello, (Here's a possible solution)

I too have had similar symptoms and just like all of you I had no idea what to do, I went to the dentist and he dismissed it as just being in my head. So finally I began to think it was anxiety so I went to my schools psychologist and began talking to her but I quickly learned that it was not in my head. Then I remembered that I had a hystory of high blood pressure, but never took any medication for it, so I decided to give that a try I went to the school doctor for a full check up and again my blood pressure came out very high, so the doc put me on Metoprolol 100 mgs...And boy did this drug do the trick it calmed me down within two weeks and lowered my blood pressure and disappeared that tingly feeling/burning sensation in my tongue, the drug is some kind of beta blocker... but please if you still have those symptoms I know how you feel go get checked out and if you do come out with high blood pressure have them check your heart and put you on meds for the blood pressure believe me it will help you out within 2 weeks you will see a change, and drop all the unhealthy food, drastically reduce your sodium (salt) intake and you will see a change... Please try this and post your comments and let me know how it goes...
|
Users who thank PostMan13 for this post: caleb1234 

replied January 10th, 2012
Hello

I have similar symptoms and i didn't know whether to go to the doctor but i've been getting pains in my heart last 2 days and now i have an appointment with doctor in the morning, i will say it to him now because the 2 could be related. I was getting scared thinking it could be the big C....r. thanks this has eased my mind
|

replied May 1st, 2013
how are you doing now ?
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
Burning salty tongue
I have a burning, tingling sensation on my tongue and... it taste like salt. Even when I drink water it taste like salt. Has anybody had that effect? I was told it may be my thyroid. Ugh! I am so frustrated.
|

replied July 6th, 2012
Tingling in tounge!
I also have a strange numb tingling sensation and can stop sucking my inner cheeks in. My dad died of a heart attack so i will deffinatly see Dr if it carrys on.
|

replied October 12th, 2012
burning tongue or numb
Glossodynia or burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition characterized by a burning or tingling sensation on the lips, tongue, or entire mouth. The condition is less commonly known as orodynia,[1] and sometimes (informally) as burning tongue[2] Typically, there are no visual signs like discoloration that help the diagnosis. BMS is defined as the presence of a burning sensation in the mouth and/or tongue (almost always bilateral) without the presence of any discoloration, ulcers, or other visual anomalies in the oral cavity.
|

replied February 23rd, 2013
numb tounge
I too have this. I notice it more when I drink hot liquid from a Styrofoam cup with a plastic lid. seems where I touch the lid, I would go numb. I stopped using the lids and it got better. now it has returned. I wonder if I'm sensitive to (allergic?To) styrofoam? I am now only drinking out of glassware. -- could be a challenge at work but the numb tongue thing is weirding me out. -- my Teva cups do NOT seem to cause it so I wonder if it's a chemical my body does not like. have you noticed any correlation to drinking from plastic?
|

replied February 23rd, 2013
I too have this. I notice it more when I drink hot liquid from a Styrofoam cup with a plastic lid. seems where I touch the lid, I would go numb. I stopped using the lids and it got better. now it has returned. I wonder if I'm sensitive to (allergic?To) styrofoam? I am now only drinking out of glassware. -- could be a challenge at work but the numb tongue thing is weirding me out. -- my Teva cups do NOT seem to cause it so I wonder if it's a chemical my body does not like. have you noticed any correlation to drinking from plastic?
|

replied May 22nd, 2013
mimee
I too have the same problems, burning sensation in the mouth, tingling/numbness of the tip and side of the tongue and also the lips and even the chin at times. I never knew this was a common problem. I have an app't with my doctor in a few days.
|

replied May 26th, 2013
I too have this. Will try an allergist next.
|

replied September 8th, 2013
I'm on antidepressants and get these symptoms that increase if I miss my meds ...
|