Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Numbness and tingling in back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
scared OK, so in early Decemeber I started getting what I thought were muscle spasms in my middle back. I thought they would go away after a day or two of rest. Sixs weeks later my back still hurts and don't know what is going on. The pain started the day after I had shoveled heavy snow. I don't remember hurting my back or feeling injury occur. Here is a list of symptoms: When I wake up in the moring my middle backs is sometimes numb accompanied by tingling sensations on both sides. After being up and out of bed for few minutes it usually goes away. After an hour of so up being up and sitting or walking my back cramps up to the point where I can bearly stand and wash dishes. Sometimes only one side hurts, the other side hurts or both sides hurt. It seems to get worse if I stand or sit, but if I'm moving it doesn't hurt as much.

I've tried streatching, I've tried muscle relaxors, advil, and tramadol but nothing really works. Heat or ice provide slight comfort, but nothing long lasting. A friend of mine gives my back massages and it seems to help for about 20 minutes and I'm back to being cramped up.

I'm unemployed, have no money to see a doctor and was just denied medicade so I don't know what else to do at this point.

What do you think might be causing my back pain and what can I do? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2010
Experienced User
Well, It could be a pinched nerve or more serious. Since you don't have insurance, I would try seeing a Chiropractor and see if they will work with you on payments. I dont see why they wouldnt charge you and you pay it when you can if you are recieving unemployment benefits. The one I used to go to does not cost a whole lot. Try several adjustments and see if that helps. It may take 12 or so. If that does not help then it could be something more serious that a regular xray wont pick up on and will need to see an Orthopedic Doctor. Keep using the heat and ice and try not to pick up on anything heavy for the time being. Good luck!
|
Users who thank bastionv for this post: B79 

Thanks. I'm no expert, but from what I've reaserched online I'm betting it's a pinched nerve as a result of a herniated disk. See, I don't have any unemployment either. I litterally have $400 to my name and am close to losing my apartment. I'm trying desperatley to get a job......I will go to the free clinic tomorrow and see if they will be able to help. Thanks again.
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi b79
to me it sounds like a knot in muscle. when that happens you can get tingling and pain on both sides. this kind of problem can be treated well with very deep muscle massage. is your friend skilled in DEEP MUSCLE MASSAGE?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2010
Experienced User
B79,

Well, there are lots of free programs out there. My friend had surgery and did not have any insurance and she did not have to pay a nickle..Check into it and see if your state offers such a thing. Ask the free clinic about it..I hope you dont have a tear in the disc which can happen by picking up heavy objects and twisting the back but only a discogram or an MRI can tell, even then you need the discogram to see if its leaking, normally if you dont get a response from chiropractic adjustments over time, its a leak..from my expirience... Good luck!
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Middle back pain
Hi, Im frustrated n aggravated with my middle low back pain!! I can't even walk more than one or two block from my place to store which driving me nuts.. Let me explain to u of what ya'll think of this.. When I started to walk to store, my back start cramp, tingle, numb n feel like electric sparks. OMG, I was like ouch n had to sit down for juz like 2 to 3 min then start back walking feel fine then again same thing pain.. I've been walk, sit, walk, sit off n on til I get to store n back home. I went to dr last thursday, he said I have bad muscle strain on my back which I don't think it is the answer to this question why my back pain?? he gave me 3 meds.. they are Diclofenac Sod Ec 75mg, Cyclobenzaprine 5 mg, and Meloxicam 15 mg... NONE of them helps at all!! Im considering of call dr in the morning to see what other method they can do for now til they order me MRI n physical thearpy.. What ya'll think of this?? Im soooo frustrated with pain throbbing over n over... grrrr help me!!!!
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2012
Experienced User
okdeafgal78,

When the doctor stated that you had a muscle strain. What did he perform on you to determine this. Was an MRI given? Meloxicam can take a few weeks to work. It needs to be in your system for a while. You should see a back speciatlist or get a few chiropractic treatments to see if that helps.. a massage may help for the spasams. keep taking the meds given to you and in the mean time for temporary relief, I suggest Heat on the area for the muscle spasams for 20 minutes and follow up with ice for 20 mins. I would do some very gentle stretches. Google search the Cox and Mckenzie exersices and do those...Good luck!
|

replied November 26th, 2013
Mid back spasms and tingling
I have the mid-back spasms and tingling. When I stand too long or use my arms to pull an object, it gets much worse. I just lost my job due to these problems with my back. I could not perform my job duties. I'm left wondering if I'll ever be normal again.

I plan to seek medical treatment and hope to find relief.
|