Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

numb spot on knee

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was not sure where to put this...so here I go! I am very accident prone and this past Friday evening, I slipped on a dog toy and fell very hard onto a split brick floor! It hurt really bad obviously, but the next day it was not terribly swollen, just a little bruised and tender. Being someone that is constantly getting hurt, I thought oh well, I'll be fine, I'll just look like a battered woman for awhile. Yesterday I noticed that right below my knee cap there is a about a 2 inch spot that is numb....it doesn't feel numb from the inside, but when I touch the spot, I can't feel it. Make sense???? Anyways, it hasn't affected my walking at all, and the initial swelling has pretty much subsided. The only real pain is the tenderness on the bruise, which doesn't concern me. I am however, starting to get concerned about the numbness which it still there, and maybe possible nerve damage. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Edit: In case I was not very clear, when I fell most of the contact was with my knee. I was not injured anywhere else.
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I was thinking nerve damage.
|
Users who thank ^Serenity^ for this post: lele25 

replied July 22nd, 2008
Do you think this is something temporary or should I go to the doctor?
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
lele25 wrote:
Do you think this is something temporary or should I go to the doctor?

I think it would be a good idea to see the doctor. He/she may want to get an x-ray and will perform some movement tests on you in the office.

I always say better to be safe than sorry.

Let me know how you are you doing... wave
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Thanks.....I just got off the phone with my grandfather, he is a retired general practitioner, and he said that I probably should go in because it sounds as though I have nueropathy, more than likely caused by the intense impact. He said that it could go away on its own, but if there is signicant damage to the ACL???? or other ligaments, then I might have chronic problems. So I'm calling the doctor in the morning....I really hate to go in for these sorts of injuries (not paying attention to what I'm doing) I always feel so stupid! Yeah.....I walked into a door, or tripped over a dog toy....ehhhh I wish I weren't so clumsy! I'll post about what the doc says! Thanks again! Smile
|

replied July 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Don't feel stupid we all have those times when we "don't pay attention" we have so much on our minds all the time.
The ACL is, well here's a link:
http://www.sportsmed.org/secure/reveal/adm in/uploads/documents/ST%20Injured%20ACL%20 08.pdf

I hope you don't have neuropathy or ACL tear.
Keep me posted.
All the Best..Smile
|

replied July 24th, 2008
Hey! Went to the doctor yesterday...X-Rays did not show anything abnormal and the movement tests he did all went fine. He said that it was more than likely just a very bad bruise and that the inflamation caused some compression on a nerve. It really doesn't look that swollen to me, but thats what he said. He prescribed an anti-inflamatory, and told me to minimize activities....no working out, ect. So I'm happy to know that its nothing serious! I'm going back in 2 weeks, or sooner if it worsens! Thanks so much for your help!
|

replied July 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You're Welcome..Smile

Glad you went to the doctor. I hope it gets better soon.
Did he say if you can use ice to reduce the swelling?

Be careful not to overdo it.
|

replied July 24th, 2008
Yeah...I'm kinda upset about not being able to work out and play tennis! I had to call the other women on the country club team and let them know that I was out. Sad He did say that if I had pain or additional swelling that ice would help. I really should have started the R.I.C.E. method right after I fell, but as an accident proney, I thought it would be fine! I'm thinking about looking into accident prone anonymous!Smile Seriously, I'm so clumsy that my husband will call and check on me at least 3 times a night when he's out of town, just to make sure I haven't had a freak acident.Smile Thanks again!
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Make sure you rest and keep us posted.
Do you have inner ear problems that might be adding to your accidents?
|

replied July 25th, 2008
I'm not sure about the ear problems. When I was a child, I had ear tubes, but other than that the only times they bother me is while flying. I think that I just don't pay attention to what I doing....I was diagnosed with ADD when I was a kid and I have been on medication since then. I got married almost 2 years ago, and everyone joked that I should wrap my self in bubble wrap for the 2 months prior to the wedding, to avoid any bruises or misc. injuries!
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It's kind of hot to wrap in bubble wrap...LOL
I hope you get better soon.
Sometimes there's so much going on in our lives that we are always in a hurry and end up getting hurt.
You might want to get your ears checked again and maybe have some blood tests done to make sure you are not anemic or have a vitamin deficiency that might be adding to this.

Did everything go OK for the wedding? I hope!!!
|

replied July 26th, 2008
Yes...the wedding was great and bruise free!!! I am anemic, which of course causes me to bruise even more easily. I take vitamins with extra iron to help out. I do think that it might be good idea to see the ENT and have a check up......After this last accient hubby is pretty concerned and wondering if I am having some problems with inner-ears or maybe vertigo. Bless his heart....he worries too much!!! On the plus side, the numb spot seems to be a bit smaller! Maybe the anti-inflamatories are helping!
|

replied July 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Glad to hear you a bit better. Seeing an ENT would be a good idea. I get vertigo once in a while and man it stinks. It happened to me Friday night and the room was spinning, then I broke out into a sweat. I also suffer in chronic pain from a number of different health problems so that doesn't help.
Let me know how you are.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
As an aside, I get vertigo when I do not get enough fluids. (I came to this post because I fell two days ago and my right leg is a mess of bruises and I have that same numbness described. It was the size of a quarter this morning and is more like a dollar bill this evening Sad I cannot take any anti-inflammatories because of other meds so will try ice and elevation tonight. If it grows anymore I''ll bite the bullet and go in to the doctor and admit I tripped over an elevation change of about 1/4" The numbness is creeping around from the front of my knee, below the kneecap, around toward the outer side of my leg. It does not seemto be numb on the bruises so much as between them. )
|

replied August 30th, 2010
knee numbness
I didn't hurt myself in anyway, just woke up to my left knee being numb, now 24 hrs. later, still numb. No pain, just feels weird. I take percocet for critical pain from an accident 9 yrs. ago, but... can't see how that has anything to do with it. I always sit (when I sit) lol w/my legs up, usually one under me, always have for at least 2/3 of my life. I lost all ins. benefits in March. I don't work, just watch my 2 & 3 yr. old grand daughters that keep me very busy ??? Any help would be appreciated since I can't see a Dr. nor do I want to... Thanks Joan
|

replied October 8th, 2012
hard fall on knee, numbness AND searing pain
I am very accident prone also~~y ies i have ADD and am also anemic, i take adderall for the ADD and only take iron during period so i can get out of bed and not bleed to death!
Anyway...i made a trip to my storage and coming out of door i tripped and landef really hard on both knees. my left is worse. It didnt really swell upand bruising isnt that bad but i do have a 3x2 area that is surface numb but beside it when touched or leaned on there is severe pain that i describe as liquid fire, it is also a little spongey feelin and when i press in one spot something moves and i can feel it in another part of my leg? Just doesnt feel right.

I should mention i have a high pain tolerance (i walked/worked on a broken ankle (spiral fracture) for 6 months before having surgery with a plate and screws to hold it) part of me thinks need to have it looked at, other part of me is tired of over~reacting and basically goin to emergency room for a band~aid!!

Please help with opinions and/or advice!! oh i do have insurance thru work but it is awful and any services i get would be out of pocket. thank you!
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
lawoodue,

It sounds like you have traumatized some of the sensory nerves in the skin around the knee region. You may also have some edema in the soft tissues, from the impact.

When you landed on your knees, you contused the nerves, and caused a neuropraxia. This will cause the nerve to go to sleep, thus the numb feelings. Nerve pain is also very commonly referred to as a burning type of pain. The referred sensation, where you touch the skin at one point, but feel it somewhere else, is also due to an injury to the nerve.

Usually, neuropraxia will go away on its own, but may take a little while (usually 2 to 4 weeks; but by definition a neuropraxia can take up to six months). Unfortunately, there is not really anything you can do to treat a neuropraxia of the peripheral sensory nerves directly, just letting mother nature take her course.

As to the soft tissue swelling and edema, that can be treated with RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Judicial use of over the counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or one of the NSAIDs can also be tried. But, again, sometimes is just takes a little time.

If your knee pain gets worse, the swelling does not go down, or the neuropraxia symptoms just persist, then you may want to see an orthopedic surgeon. The ER will not be able to do much other than get an x-ray, tell you to do the above, and refer you to an orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck.
|