Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

now my entire left side of my neck is swollen and hard

User Profile
i am a healthy 24 year old female. over the past 5 months i have had hard swollen fixed lymph nodes on the left side of my neck (under my jaw, back of my neck and behind left ear). i have seen my medical doctor at least 4 times over the past 2 months. the last time i saw them they told me that it could be from a past back injury and prescribed me with an anti-inflammatory and told me to return in a month if it hasn't gone away. im not sick and its beginning to worry me as now my entire left side of my neck is swollen and hard but not sore or painful in any way. the lymph node under my jaw is about the size of a large marble and the one on the back of my neck is about the size of a nickel. going back in the next few days for yet another follow up visit. i do not feel that it is from the injury that i sustained in my back. the anti inflammatory didnt help in any way and im becoming more and more concerned. any advice?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2012
Lymphoma Answer A30757
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the swollen lymph nodes on the neck and jaw.

Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

What exactly is this can be diagnosed only after examination and investigations like ultrasound or CT of the area and a fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAB) of the lymph node. This will reveal the cause of lymph node swelling also. You should get it done from your doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.