Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Nova Sure complications (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I had the Nova Sure procedure 6 mths ago. The last 3 mths have been most painful due to cramping and bloating. I have pain when I use the bathroom. I no longer have a cycle, no discharge. I have intense pain in my lower abdomen, like pressure on my bladder. I used to take Motrin to control the pain but that no longer helps. Is this normal or may this be a sign of something else?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper miss_the_old_me
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Especially eHealthy
You should definitely go back to your Gynecologist and get this pain checked out!
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
novasure
i have had this procedure done around 2005. i just started getting bad cramping this past thuresday, and all weekend long. mind you i have never had a period before this. i went to the bathroom today, and lo and behold after a cramping sestion i finally received my first one in a long time. i am 55 yrs old. so i am flowing lightly, but i am scared of hemmoraging! help!
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Have you not gone through menopause? Reason I ask you give you age to be 55....
|

replied September 16th, 2009
ChanelN,
I am having the exact same symptoms. I just had mine two months ago. Did you get checked out? I'm not sure what to do, I have no fever, just the same pain you described.
|
Users who thank KelH415 for this post: LouLou1972 

replied December 11th, 2009
I had this procedure done 6 months ago, I have had no real period, just spotting here and there, but, I have had the worse pain in my lower left groin, I was told that the muscle can be injured while this surgery is being done. I have been to a general surgeon who wanted to make sure it was not hernia, I have been in the worse pain, has anyone had the same sympton?
|

replied July 26th, 2012
yes, i had nova sure procedure done one yr ago in march and 1 week later had heart attack.. i have pain in my left leg constantly just figured it was muscle but it continues.. ive seen my gyn just recently and he didnt really want to give me time of day and now 16 mos later i have period.. hadnt had one for over a yr except very light spotting or none at all and now a regular period.. i dont know what to think.
|

replied October 8th, 2013
I had this done in 2006 and I have the same pain...to the point that I can't walk. It hurts so bad I thought I had a hernia. Know I was diagnose with "Fibrocystic breast changes" It has to do with us not getting a period.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
i also had the procedure done in sept 2009, its now jan and no period but the worst pain ever, the pains been here foe almost 7 weeks all day everyday, went to the hospital and was kept in for 3 days, i had an ultrasound scan but all was clear, was discharged home and still the pain remains... wish i'd never had it done
|

replied October 28th, 2011
You wrote this a long time ago. What was the outcome? I'm going through the exact same thing. Now they want to do a hysterectomy. And I'm not sure I should let them touch me again.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 2nd, 2010
Novasure -- No question, just a good outcome!
I had the procedure in November 2009 because I'd been hemorrhaging non-stop for three months. Hormone therapy did nothing to stop it.

I'm four months out, no period, and no complications whatsoever. I suggest taking at least one day off to rest following the procedure as there is a bit of cramping, though it wasn't severe enough to keep me away from work. I had some residual issues with the anesthetic not wearing off completely by the 2nd day (I had to have a D&C prior to the procedure for some polyps so I had to be put out).

I'm extremely happy with the results and highly recommend this procedure. No periods yet, and no signs of PMS shy of a raging hormone issue once each month (hard to figure out my cycle now that I don't get my period anymore!). Good luck, ladies!!
|
Users who thank HsMouseRS for this post: TREDFORD 

replied April 3rd, 2010
Novasure has caused me severe pain for 5 years
I had the procedure done in 2005. About 6 mos after having the sugery, I began having severe pain in my right side. I went to the emergency room, thinking it was appendicitis. The blood tests and ultrasound showed nothing. A year later or so, (after one or two more ER trips) I had laproscopy, MRI''s, you name it and they could not find anything. The pain had gotten worse over the years, although not more frequent(it sometimes happens once or twice a month, sometimes it will not hurt for months at a time) at times it has made me throw up from the severity of the pain. Three Aleve will usually take the pain away after 15 minutes or so of suffering. The only thing I can attribte this to is the ablation.
|

replied October 8th, 2013
I had this done in 2006 and this has happen to me as well. Know I have Fibrocystic breast changes and it hurts.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
3 years after Novasure
It's been 3 years now since i had the procedure done. I was really really happy with the results and told all my friends (wish I hadn't). 3 months ago I got my first period; it lasted a day or two but I had some pain on the lower left quadrant of my abdomen that was not severe but dull and nagging. The fluid was a brownish color like some have said, "the end of the period" period. A few days ago I had pain soooooo severe that i wanted to go to the hospital; like having baby, but none of the joy after. I was talking Aleve every 4 to 6 hours; it was horrible. I really thought something was wrong with me. BUT, I put the pieces together and realized that it might be my period. Here's what you should know before you do the procedure.

1. You will have a period (light or heavy) eventually. Like I said I didn't have one for 3 years, but have now started spotting.
2. It will be accompanied by severe cramps. Be prepared the pain is unbearable.
3. The pain tends to start on the left side, but it will eventually travel across your lower abdomen. You may also feel it in your lower back and rectum. Be careful of how much medicine you take. You will want to take a lot of medicine because the pain is that horrible.
4. You may notice that your digestive tract is off. I'm bloated all the time and always taking GasX. Every time I eat I am bloated or have pain from the gas.
5. You may notice that it's hard to lose weight. My scale fluctuates between 6-10 pounds daily.
The only reason I would not recommend this procedure is because of the pain. Please note this is NOT the type of pain you will be able to live with monthly. I am really worried about next month because I do not think I can take 3 days of the horrendous. I am going to the doctors to discuss a hysterectomy. I hope this helps.
|

replied August 1st, 2011
Nova Sure pain a year later
I had my Nova Sure on 07/02/2010 and just started having horrible cramps right down the middle and under, I'm sure you can imagine. It felt like labor. It doubled me over it was so intense. I'm wondering now, that it's been a year since your post about your episode with the pains, what has been happening since then? Did you see the doctor? What was the outcome? Thanks.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
I am having the exact same symptoms almost 3 years after my procedure. I had mine in Oct 2008 and just started with all the symptoms you described almost to the T. What did your Gyn tell you? My Gyn is on vacation. Bleeding is scant. I too have fluctuating weight daily and difficulty losing weight. UGH!!!
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
I am going to make an appt with my Gyno soon. I knew going ahead with the surgery that there were complications or side effects to be expected. I've had a great year so far though. No bleeding, no pains, except for the weight gain and trouble trying to lose any of it:( But having the pains the past week has me spooked. I will report any information I receive.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
I've been having so many female problems lately I don't know what to think. I've always been healthy and regular cycles. In '08 I had a d&c & Novasure procedure because I was 'perimenopausal' and had been spotting daily for about 4 months. I had the surgical procedure, took 3 days to recover, 2 weeks to loose the anesthesia, and found that when I did strenuous exercise I would have horrible back pain not relieved with Advil--and brown spotting. I told my doctor, who told me to avoid strenous activity. I had always thought my body was attempting to continue with periods but my doctors just poo-pooed me, told me I was menopausal and basically blew me off. I now am suffering several female issues, spotting, back pain, some sort of infection yet to be determined a UTI, and 'precancer' of the vulvar area. I've had cat scan, xrays, and sonogram--waiting for the results. I can't help but think the NovaSure has something to do with it all and has set off a 'chain reaction' in my middle cavity. I wish all of you luck and good health.
|

replied September 6th, 2011
Wouldn't do it again....
I would NOT recommend this procedure to any one. I had the ablation done May 2011 and have had periods ever since..the problem is now I don't know when they will hit. Currently I am having a heavy one, even worse than the once before the Novasure procedure and this time cramps which I never used to have. I was perimenopausal but my gyn. encouraged me to go ahead and have the procedure. My body is now unable to regulate it's temp. and before Novasure I would just have occassional hot flashes. I too bloat horribly and am reglated to wearing loose fitting clothes and have horrible pain in the lower left area if my abdomen. THINK TWICE before having uterine ablation!!!
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I had Nova sure done about 4 years ago and I have done fine so far. I was having major bleeding so much so I had 2 transfusions before this. I have not had a period since that day no cramping nothing. Please Lord let it stay that way!!
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2013
Thanks for posting this! Since this forum is dedicated to problems after Novasure, it can seem like everyone experiences horrible side effects afterward. I had my procedure Dec. 28, 2012 and stopped spotting after about 4 weeks and am back to running, working out, and have had no period. No bloating, no pain in the abdomen, just a calm uterus for the first time since I was 12. Hoping this lasts and that I won't need a hysterectomy at some point in the future like so many of these poor ladies have experienced. I feel for all of them Sad
|
Users who thank KV2675 for this post: TREDFORD 

replied December 21st, 2013
Hi I'm waiting for the appointement to get the nova shure done. I've been also very heavy periods for over 24 years now. Tried Mirena but didn't work for me. Actually cut my heavy periods by 75 % but always had a little bit of bledding every now and then. So, did'nt enjoy that. The doctor removed it after 10 months. But Nova shure says it's great. But reading all these posts of bad pain eventually, I'm worried. Getting hesitant on doing the Nova shure. Would love to hear long term effects on women whome got procedure done.
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I had Nova sure done about 4 years ago and I have done fine so far. I was having major bleeding so much so I had 2 transfusions before this. I have not had a period since that day no cramping nothing. Please Lord let it stay that way!!
|

replied November 28th, 2012
Hi. I had this procedure done 11/2/12
I am in so much pain as we speak. Always bleeding.
Like you I have been to the ER twice they can't find anything
Wrong. Cramps, bloating, tenderness to the touch.
They have given me Vicaden, percs, Motrin 800
They only last for a little while. Does this pain ever go
Away?? Will I become the active woman I once was??
Weight loss I don't mind. Please respond...
Your message is everything I'm going through right now
|

replied September 30th, 2010
My Novasure Procedure
I had my novasure procedure on the 7th September 2010. Its been 3 weeks since the op and im still getting cramps especially on the lower left of my abdomen. Hardly had any bleeding though, easily manageable with just panty liners. Really hope the pain stops soon - but all things considered im still glad i had my procedure because i've suffered with really heavy periods since the age of 11 (im now 36) and it was literally ruling my life, couldnt plan trips or nights out as my bleeding was so out of control. Its still early days for me, and everyones experience of novasure is different, but i just wanted to share mine as i know just how worrying making the decision can be. Kind Regards x
|

replied July 12th, 2011
Nova nerves
I promised myself I wasn't going to look at these sort of forums as I have suffered so much vomit inducing pain, heavy bleeding and bloated tummy each month that anything would be preferable!
I am glad to see a more recent posting that is positive I go tomorrow and starting to get nervous! Sad
|

replied December 21st, 2013
Can you let me know now how's it going 3 years now. Would like to know for I'm waiting to get schedualed for the Nova shure but would love to hear long term results. Thank you so much
|

replied October 7th, 2010
After the Novasure
I had the novasure surgery on Sept 2 and the pinkish to light brownish discharge is still flowing daily. I have been back to the doctor two times and now he wants me to take this pill called Medroxyprogesterone 10MG for ten days and do it again next month and then the next month. As of right now I wish I would have never had it done because the discharge I have has an oder and I'm not ust to that and I think it's so nasty. I mean I douche sometimes twice a day. And always before having sex. I never had that kind of a problem so I just hope the pills work cause I can't live this way. I would rather have a monthly period then a day to day yucky discharge. I wish someone had some answers for me on what to do.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2013
Sounds like a bacterial infection which can be cleared up with a round of antibiotics. Be sure to take probiotic supplements (try Fembiotic) to ward off yeast infection from the antibiotic. Too much douching removes your natural bacteria which is there to keep everything in check. When the "bad" bacteria takes over (as can happen with douching too often), an infection can occur. Stay hydrated: too little water thickens the vaginal discharge and can also contribute to infections because the vagina will be unable to "self-clean" via healthy discharge.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
To GREATDEAL - im wondering if you ought to pop back to yr doctors as it sounds like a possible infection if yr discharge now has an odour? I know how yr feeling about the bleeding seeming neverending though as mines gone on for 5 weeks and still ongoing, its starting to really bug me now so my doctor has put me on a progestrogen mini pill to try to regulate it. Im not loosing enough blood to be able to wear a tampon but i hate wearing pads as i find they irritate me so im starting to wonder if ive made a bad decision. Hopefully its just temporary and will settle down soon tho. Really hope we feel better soon!!
|

replied October 15th, 2010
Novasure
I had procedure on Sept 24th. Still have discharge but Dr said that would be normal & to give it a good month...some of the bleeding can be related to the scabbing that takes place from the burn..just like when a scab comes off b/f the sore is healed it will cause bleeding. I have notice small "flakes" of blood which i believe to be those scabs. No odor though & i mentioned the same left side cramping that so many have mentioned & Dr had no response. Still glad i had procedure....hope that stays true! I want to douche hoping that will clean me out & stop discharge but also afraid it might make it worse.
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
I had the surgery done on the 26th of september and i am having a brown dischatge and blood mixture. it has a odor not a strong odor but a faint. havent had any severe cramping, but have had a cramping like my period tring to start. i am begining to wonder if i should have went ahead and had the hystorectomy. should i be worried about this discharge and the odor? I go back to the doctor wednesday hopefully he will fix this for me. And as for sex i havent had any since i had this done, when is it safe to have sex?
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Novo
had this surgery in Nov 09. It did it's job of slowing down my 3 week long periods, but now not too sure it was worth it. Considering i was back at gyn 2 days later because i couldn't empty my bladder. So for a week i had to take pills to make my bladder contract and self cath too. It got "better" i guess but i still have to force to empty my bladder fully. Now the cramping is back and not sure if this is normal but i have gas almost all the time. So now I'm thinkin I will save up sick time, and get a partial hyst. I'm not having anymore kids, tubes are tied, and novo killed any other hope, so no need to have a uterus or periods.
|

replied January 11th, 2014
I had this procedure in 09 and I feel the exact same way u do.. although i have no problems wit my bladder, my cramping and bleeding has gotten just as bad as it was before the procedure. feels like im havin a miscarriage every month!!
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Get another opinion
I cant understand how some of you have lived with this debilitating pain for so many moths and years. The doctors cant find anything wrong and thats ok?? I had the Novasure done in January 2010.... I have been in this pain once a month since June and every month has gotten worse and worse. I had an MRI done and they found that the ablation did not burn out the entire lining (this is supposedly common and is one of the risks involved with the procedure!) and because I have so much scar tissue around these 2 spots the blood has nowhere to go...thus causing this pain. I am now scheduled for a hysterectomy. I hope you ladies do not take Oh WELL as answers from these doctors who think they are god. YOU KNOW YOUR BODY....Demand that something be done and don't just live with this pain.
|

replied August 8th, 2011
please let us know if the hysterectomy helps...I had the procedure done in June of 09 and every year the pain just gets incredibly worse...like I am in labor every month for 3-4 days...I am contemplating the hysterectomy just to be gone with the pain...but that procedure is risky also...good luck to you
|

replied June 4th, 2012
I had my procedure done on the 24th of May, it's now June 4th, I have been in pain every single day since the surgery, some days worse than others, the pain is very unbearable; I'm do back to see my gyn dr. on the 7th, I have been calling her office leaving a message for the nurse haven't heard anything back from them! Its very frustrating, the pain pills is not touching the pain & yes I have been bent over, feeling very nausea, I'll take your advice & ask for MRI to be done just to be sure! I'm not going to sit around & be in pain, I want my life back and crying because of this pain is not helping...So Thank You DMJ25...
|

replied November 13th, 2010
complications of Novasure or Birth Control Pills
I had the Novasure procedure done in July '09, 18 months after having my tubes tied. At first, I was thankful because I haven't had a period since August '09 but over the past six months I have also been experiencing abdominal pain and twice I have noticed some discharge. Tonight I was in the bathroom and the pain is unbearable. At first I thought I might have a bladder infection but now I know there is something else going on due to the discharge that I would normally get on my last days on my periods.

For anyone considering the procedure there are risks but like any surgery you have to weight the pros and cons of having the surgery. In addition, if you decide not to have the surgery and decide on birth control pills, consider having a simple blood test to check if you are at risk of having a blood clot. I recently had a sister pass away due to birth control and found out there is a test that can be done to determine if you are at risk. My daughter was checked and thankfully so because as it turns out she is at risk of developing a pulmonary embolism if she does take birth control pills.
|

replied November 18th, 2010
I experienced the same gooey pinkish-brown discharge.
I had the Novasure done 12/16/08 and the discharge
never went away. The cramping became unbearable after
about 6 months, still had some bleeding but because of
the scar tissue it becomes trapped causing unbearable
pain. The symptoms mimic Appendicitis. I knew this had to
be related to the Novasure but no one would confirm this theory. Finally went to another gynecologist who would listen and had seen similar cases of the same symptoms. Hysterectomy was the only answer to clear out the scar tissue caused by the ablation. Seems alot of people are suffering from this Novasure procedure and the doctors are just sluffing it off, try this or that instead of contacting the manufacturer of this device and letting them know of the complications it
is causing many women. Had my first doctor just said yes, the severe cramping is a sign that the procedure
failed for you I wouldn't of endured months of agony
and time researching it on my own. Had hysterectomy
and am free of all discharge and pain!
|

replied December 29th, 2010
I am 25 days post op, 12/3/10 for the ablation. Some discharge after the 2nd day, little bleeding now, but the cramping is painful, the bloating and gas has my belly out to here....I look pregnant and my clothes do not fit- up over 4 lbs of weight gain and I work out every day. I wonder if I am also one who will take months to get better. I have a tilted uterus, 3 previous c-secions, 2 fibroid tumors, hypothyroidism but controlled symptoms, and IBS, but oh the cramping...
|

replied July 2nd, 2013
Feel so bad after reading all of these comments on the nova sure. I've been searching to see if anyone had haf the same symptoms i've had after having mine done October 2013. I was fine up til april and the worst abdominal pain, thigh pain which is unbearable at times.Gyno wants to take out uterus but said can't guarantee pain won't stop!
|

replied July 2nd, 2013
Feel so bad after reading all of these comments on the nova sure. I've been searching to see if anyone had haf the same symptoms i've had after having mine done October 2013. I was fine up til april and the worst abdominal pain, thigh pain which is unbearable at times.Gyno wants to take out uterus but said can't guarantee pain won't stop!
|