Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

not feeling like myself - anxiety symptoms ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I feel extremely weird, is the right way to put it. I feel as though I don't know who I am and that scares the hell out of me. I think i'm going crazy sometimes. I can't think clearly and my thoughts are in the back of my mind. When you speak it doesn't feel like your speaking. Everything around you looks a bit hazy or unreal/surreal, like when you're high on a sunny day. You feel you care less about the world and even the ones u love the most, and that hurts you deep inside.
You feel NO ONE understands your problem and you feel as though the problem will last forever and the world will never be the same it was.
You get highs and lows... lows are the most excruciating times of the day, you just feel like crying and crumbling away deep into your self-pity.. highs are a time of feeling positive and optimistic, and hope invigorates you and gives your world a bit more meaning and life!
You feel so confused, and you can't seem to get a grasp on the world or it's meaning, etc etc etc. And the cycle goes on and as time passes the problem gets worst! Sad
If this is anything how anyone feels.. please tell me. I just hope I'm not alone and not going crazy, and hope that this is simply stress/anxiety and will eventually go away.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Rocket111
|
Users who thank Rocket111 for this post: jl244753  gardenia78  LostInFear  Mayadb 

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2008
Experienced User
in reply.
Hi, I can relate to how your feeling. I have that same feeling right now. Its been like this for the last two months. At first, the feeling really, really worried me. But then I joined this forum and realized that many other people were experiencing the same thing I am. Thats why I like this forum so much. I basically feel very lightheaded, and it feels like I am detached from myself when I am walking. I don't know if this is called depersonalization or derealization. I know that this is a classic anxiety/depression symptom. I just try to ignore it now, hoping that it will go away! I hope you feel better.
|

replied October 17th, 2012
eey im also going through this stressful feeling, im not feeling my self and sometimes my heart beat fast, sometimes it feels like im gonna faint or die..its been a month now
|

replied November 20th, 2013
Yeah, I'm only 14! And I have a feeling related to this! It comes and goes but when it happens it just scares the hell out of me, I feel just hot all over and I get really scared like im not me and I don't feel myself, it really really scares me very much! I hope you feel better
|

replied March 7th, 2008
Thanks alot for your reply shannashaine... It does give me some hope to know that other people are experiencing the same feeling and that I am not crazy. I recently told my parents about it and my mom said that she had the exact same problem when she was in her early twenties. She said that when her psychiatrist told her that it was 100% curable she was able, from that point on, to improve and it eventually went away. I've come to figure that this derealisation/depersonalisation or whatever shrinks want to call it is a way for our brain to escape the depression/anxiety/stress we go through every day, every hour, every minute and every second of our life. It gives our brain a break from the excruciating damage stress can cause to it, and I think it is more a reaction of the soul, whether you want to believe in such a thing or not, rather than the physical brain.
Again, thank you for this forum and all the hope it gives to me and all the people in my situation or other hard situations. Peace to all!
|

replied March 5th, 2012
im 17 and iv experienced this since i was 13 it comes and goes but is realy bad right now... and no1 could understand what this was... and i thank u for helping me undrstand that im not the only one out there fighting this
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Hi Rocket,i'm new to this forum.it was your story that caught my eye and made me join to be honest,i haven't been suffering long with anxiety and panic,probably about 2 months,i am on medication to relieve the symptoms,which does work to some degree,But, i have been having a weird kind of detached from the world emotion as of late,i found difficult to put into words.but you my friend have just described it to a T.i have a sense of relief to be honest,but at the same time sadness,because i know you are feeling exactly how i do.and it isn't a nice place one bit,good luck friend, and i hope we can over come this state of anxious mind,coz lets face it,its the anxiety monster that's playing these mind games.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
hi everbody , i am also going through the same thing i get scared all the time always thinking the worse i cry all the time , and i feel like im going crazy i have begged for help and always feel like im getting on ppls nerves by trying to talk to them about how im feeling ,, but if they havent been thru it i dont think they understand , i go numb have pains shake go dizzy feel sick and sometimes i dont even want to go out . i just feel like im trapped in closed doors . as anyone had to go thru this
|

replied June 4th, 2014
Hello guys, I feel the same way, it's very scary i know but everytime i feel confused i just meditate on this verse,, In Him I live and Move and have my Being.. and all those fears, anxieties and worries goes away.. Im a christian , i fell into this when I don't know what's happening to me .. at first it was just headaches then it worsened and i got so worried i became depressed (unknowingly) I feel like not myself anymore, i wished i would get back my old self but i keep telling myself There is always hope in Christ . Use the Power of Right Believing guys, take a verse that corresponds to ur questions like.. Why do I exist- just open your mouth and say I live and move and have my being.. questions like: Who am I- I am God's beloved, I am fearfully and wonderfully made.. at first you'll feel like it doesn't give any effect but make it a daily routine everytime you're afraid just pray .. encourage yourself in God's word.. and believe me He will perform . I told myself Worrying wont help me, being scared won't help me because it's the one that got me into this in the first place so I decided to trust it all to my Heavenly Father. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE when it comes to Him. Jesus paid everything on the cross , His name is mightier.. just meditate guys . One verse everyday and believe my every fear melts away like a butter. Aren't you tired finding a way for yourself out of this ? why not leave it to Him who IS ABLE to do all things.. I encourage you.. open your mouth , meditate on this and it'll make you feel better everyday because it's not you whose working but The One who is in you. He is Jesus. When you believe anything is possible. Don't focus on the sickness focus on your healing in Christ Jesus. I also advise you to do communion.. A wine /grape juice and bread.. then before you drink and eat.. open your mouth and say.. BY HIS STRIPES I AM HEALED. You see, when you do this ,, you are RESTING.. and left all the work in Jesus which is already done on the cross. There is power in this guys. The word of God is sharper than a double edged sword.. it cuts through bones and spirit. Receive your healing.. and if you want more messages like this.. go to youtube, type Joseph Prince and meditate on His sermons.. trust me, you'll feel normal, encourage, fearless and for me, you'll feel like you're brain is moving. that's how i feel everytime I hear the word.. I feel no worry, i just feel being loved. and day by day. i feel better. If you have done everything and nothing seems to work then.. it's time to let go and leave it to Jesus and hear His word. Hear your way to your miracle Smile I'd like to hear your feedbacks.. just try it.. let's do this together.. i know there's always hope. I believe this is just a very small problem being magnified by fear, it's just thoughts and feelings teasing you but really when you think about it you're normal, everyone sees you normal., feelings can be deceiving guys,, you just need to allow the spirit of the Lord to minister in you.. just be conscious of His love for you. and all those fears melts away.. RIGHT BELIEVING LEADS TO RIGHT LIVING.

-IN HIM WE LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE OUR BEING Smile <3
|

replied March 7th, 2008
thank you
i am so glad you joined this forum, i have a recent entry about how i feel very similar to what you have described. i have been feeling lightheaded and extremely depressed more and more over the past three months. it really gives me hope that others understand how i am feeling, i feel so so alone, unable to really express how i feel and what you have described sounds almost exactly how i have been feeling. i really hope you are able to get past it and know that you arent alone, i am here with you. please please talk to me whenever you want to.
~ all my love
~jj
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2008
Experienced User
in reply.
You are very welcome Rocket111. I wish that the people I am constantly around-family,friends,co-workers; knew about anxiety/depression. Unfortunately none of them can relate to what I go through so I feel alienated. I have had severe anxiety attacks in the past. And every single time I had an attack, I would get the derealization feeling but for only about an hour. Then it would just subside. Now, its constant, even though I have not had any full blown panic attacks. I think my mind unconsciously went into protect mode. I am a person who is constantly worrying about everything, constantly stressing, over-analyzing, and it finally caught up with me. And even though its not coming out in the form of panic attacks, its coming out in the form of derealization/depersonalization. I noticed today that it seemed like I was looking through a haze all day. Its really weird! But I know I'm gonna be okay and you will be okay too. Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2008
Experienced User
Derealization/Depersonalization/Lightheaded.
Also, when I first started feeling like this, I scheduled a doctor's appt and had all this bloodwork done. I thought maybe I was ill or something. I was convinced that maybe I had low iron or some weird disease. Turns out that my tests came back fine. Cool

And my doctor said that it had to be anxiety or depression.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
feel the same way
I have felt the same exact way, but for quite some time now...about 2 years. I get highs and lows as well, which could swing massively to either direction several times a day even. Its comforting to know that I am not the only one. I have had no social life for the last while because of this. I get extremely awkward at times when talking to people and get that similar feeling that my mind has no control over the words...that I am just talking for the sake of going through the motions with everyday life, not because i WANT to talk to the person. Ive been alienating myself from everyone, including my family and loved ones and I feel so alone right now because I cant seem to bring my self to tell any of them. I've seen a counselor on and off but couldn't seem to find the words to describe my problem and hence, didn't get much out of it. I am going to make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and when I see him, I will print off a copy of these posts and say "this is how i feel". I am so glad I found this website..thanks everyone!
|

replied April 22nd, 2014
I feel exactly the same way. What did you do about it?
|

replied February 18th, 2009
Thank you
Ive only just now searched about this, ive felt like this since i was 14 when my grandad died, went to the docs, had all the tests, everything fine, i was diagnosed with Derealization/Depersonalization/Stress/Anx iety/Depression, this was early in 2008, almost 4 years after i started with it, 4 years later, i still feel the same, like theres nothing to get me out of this spiral, its like im in a tunnel in my own head but can't be free'd. I'm 18 now, i wish i was lieing, exadurating, but for 4 years i haven't felt the same as i used to, and i'd give anything to feel that way again, its like its not my choice anymore, i have to feel this way, somedays i feel better but its still there, always there. But it does help to know there are others out there the same as me i have to admit, im glad i found this place.
|

replied April 10th, 2009
welcome
Hey Rocket, I just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing the same symptoms as you. I had no idea what they were, totally thought I was going to end up in an institution. I can't believe there isn't more information out there on this disoder. Even when I tried to explain it to my councellor she told me she's never heard of this and made me feel even worse. I find what really helps is calling this for what it is, facing it, do not allow this to facinate you, try to find something meaningful in your life and live for that. I also find talking to ppl who understadnw ha you are going though really helps. I am always avaibale and more than happy to talk if you would like please add me to msn or skype. my email is valentine(underscore)swe85(at)hotmail(dot) com.Sorry I know thats confusing but I have to spell it like that otherwirse it will be removed from the post.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
hello
iam so relieved to have found this site, i honestly thought i was alone in this.. i have had all of the above symptoms throughout my life, but it comes and goes..the first time it happened i was 17 and it lasted for maybe a year,then it went away and then it started again when i was 20 and lasted about another year this last time it started a year and a half ago..i was in nursing school and had one of those horrible panic attacks,i usually can move on from them and not let it get to me,but this time i dwelled on it and thought about all the things that could be wrong with me over and over again which sent me into this state again of feeling weird and not myself..anyway im working on trying to beat it again..and i just want to thank all of you for talking about this so i know im not alone..please let me know how you all are doing latley and if you have found away to overcome this...thankyou all!!!
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
Does this ever go away for good?
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
Does this ever go away for good?
|

replied July 9th, 2009
PANIC ATTACKS AND ANXIETY
Hello, I am a 35 yo male whos been going through these type of feelings for the past 4 years.. At first(when I was 31) I too just thought there was something wrong like I was getting sick, but then the feelings turn into fainting like episodes with mild chest pain so I went to the ER where everything check out fine.. They said I was just stressed... A year went by and I would document the feelings.. The feeling would be on & off every few days for about a 1 MONTH and then two months I would be fine.. This cycle went on for one year intill I started having PANIC attacks.. So now instead of feeling just really weird, light headed, out of my body, floating, etc this was REPLACED with constant anexity. The anxiety would get worse when I would drive by myself, fly, in a steam shower(like I cant breath), gt into a argument(like i would hyperventlate), over eat , or anything that would cause abnormal strain on my body.. Te anxiety was managable, but it would turn to PANIC attacks that WAS NOT manageable.. It was weird because I would have constant anxiety daily, then it would turn into a 2-5 mintues of panic attacks once a week.. After a month would pass everything kinda went away for the next month or two.. It would eventually start all over gain.. I have only seen regular medical doctors(cardiologist, general, ER) I have not seen any phys docs which would probably give me LEXAPRO, XANAX, etc... The people I have met you got on these meds have said they are wonderful, but I just hate to start them.. Sometimes I am such a mess I think the MEDS ould give m a panic attack... Oh well Just wanted to share what I have been through the pass few years and it has not got any better... This year I have gone into a HEALTH CRAZE... Work out, EAT great, no artificial sugars, no hydro foods, and etc.. I feel GREAT when its not a MONTH of ANXIETY, but when it is the eating right and etc really does not help.. Somethings I find that do help is:
1) When you KNOW u are having a month of anxiety stay away from certain things that cause your body stress. Because this cause bring on a bad PANIC ATTACK
2) If u are having a PANIC attack where u cant breath well just tell yourself "Hell there are other people breathing the SAME AIR and they are not dying
3) When u are having breathing problem DRINK SIPS of COLD water between breaths.. This helps me when I am driving.
4) Have a love one massage your hands while u lay down.. This helps alot..

I notice when I have a PANIC ATTACK my BLOOD PRESSURE goes up to 160-170 over 90 and my pulse is like 90-110.. When I lie down and have my hands massage within 30minutes my BLOOD PRESSURE drops to 130 over 70 and pulse comes to 70.. Though this works when I lay down and fall asleep.. If anyone ever wants to chat feel free to email me..
dax 0007 at hotmail . cOm
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2009
This helps me I thought i was just going crazy and i was all alone and i keep freaking out all the time im glad to know that its not just me and it can happen with anxiety
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Feeling weird and not myself
I have been having very similar feelings on and off for the past 2 years. I am 21 years old and in my senior year of college. I have had a lot of trouble describing my feelings to people close to me. All I would say is, "I feel weird. I don't feel myself." After reading these posts, it clicked. I also feel lightheaded and disconnected from the world. I find myself listening to what others are saying, but I also find that I don't care. I don't feel comfortable with people that I used to have fun with and laugh easily around. I sometimes find myself smiling and then think to myself, "I didn't think that was funny." I seem to be smiling or laughing only because others around me are smiling or laughing. I have been able to snap myself out of these feelings for a couple days or weeks at a time, but the feelings always creep back in.

I am a firm believer in positive thoughts and natural methods over medication. I think I would like to start therapy for these symptoms.

I want to let everyone know, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I am glad I found this site and glad to know that others are feeling like me.
|

replied April 17th, 2011
confused...
I'm much younger than most of you here, well I guess not that much younger. I don't really pay attention to how long I've been feeling..not myself..but lately I just can't stand most of my friends, and I don't like them..but I do like them..and I want to be with them..I just feel like..it's not me..and I try to tell them that, but I bet they think I'm crazy. I don't know what I have, if it's anxiety or if I have anything..all I know is that I need help, and I'm desperate. It's weird though, because these feelings are usually when I'm in a large crowd of people, or a public place, like school, or the mall. I don't get as excited as I use to..which kills me. I just want to be able to enjoy my life, can't I just save these feelings for when I'm older..? I'll get depressed sometimes when I'm alone, but the whole, detached from the world feeling, is whenever I'm in public, sometimes I'm fine, other times I'm not..I don't know what's going on..help anyone?
|

replied July 18th, 2012
I feel the same , how old are you ?
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
feeling weird and not myself
I am 21 and in college right now and I'm pretty sure u just described my symptoms spot on. I am also normally a good student and currently find it extremely hard to comprehend simple topics and it takes me way longer than normal to complete simple tasks. Just feels like I'm not functioning correctly.
|

replied September 16th, 2009
I've had these feelings before one 2 occasions when I did drugs and had a panic attack.

I've found that the best thing that work for me is...prozac. I resisted taking meds for a long time, as I was scared they would change me, afraid it meant I was a freak, opposed to the idea, etc...

Then I finally caved and took prozac. Within 2 weeks the depersonalization was gone. With 6 weeks I felt like myself again. It may not help everyone, but there is no need to suffer through this out of principle. Get some therapy, and for God's sake get some medicine! The combination of both healed me.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Fighting Back
I am truly sorry that people have had to go through this but I am happy I am not alone. I don't think my symptoms are too bad. I do suffer from feeling unlike my usual self. I had a traumatic experience at work that has sent me into tailspin. I have decided that I will not sucuumb to it. So through willpower, exercise, accupuncture, raw foods diet and maybe a bit of psychotherapy, I will be back to normal. I refuse to accept this for the rest of my life. I pray that more people here will fight this thing. You are not alone and we can do this.
Love and Respect. Jamaican Girl.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2012
I love what you said here,Jamaican girl. I too am taping into the raw food lifestyle. Hopefully with diet and exercise I can overcome this Smile
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Reading these posts brought tears to my eyes.

I,m 45 and have been feeling much the same on and off for about 2 years.

It all started 'just like that' when i developed a strange phobia of not being able to go out alone.

Since then i,ve felt ''odd'' ''out of sorts' somedays and extremly depressed.

I also suffer panick attacks but discovered a little trick that seems to help me, i don't know why it works (for me anyway) but give it a try it's harmless unless your allergic to sugar.

When i feel panicky i suck on a strong mint and take sips of water inbetween, and i have no idea how it works for me but it does help calm me down a heck of a lot. Try it! Smile

Pity i doesn't do the same for my phobia of going out LOL

Now and then when those rare good days come along it's a great feeling and i think to myself 'oh! i,m better'!

But of course the 'out of sorts' feeling keeps coming back again and the spiral continues.

Like some of you i can,t be bothered with people (even my own family) and it takes a lot of effort for me to go see them even though my hubby takes me there and back. Everything seems to 'bore' me, and yet i can't seem to do anything about it. Most days everything seems an such an effort (even getting dressed ect)

I used to love doing my hair and make-up each day, but thses days i just throw a brush through it or on very rare occasions when i HAVE to go out i put a hat on and haven't used make-up for a long time...whats the point? it takes to long to do all that just to sit round the house Rolling Eyes

With Xmas coming up my anxiety is increasing because of 'family get togethers' and other parties, the thought terrifies me as it means having to 'bother' to make an effort to socialize, when i really do not relish the though one bit!!

No one knows this (other than my hubby)....oh and you guys now! LOL. I don't feel i can talk to my family or what little friends i have left (due to me alienating them all) I used to go out to work, go shopping meet friends ect ect.... now i have to do PT work from home cuz i,m scared to go out.

Was offered prozac a long time ago from doc but i didn't want to become dependant on drugs to get me through the day so didn't take them and never will.

So now i just learn to live with it, and some days are good and others not so good.

One thing that HAS helped me (even though this means i need to get out) is.....

My hubby bought us a caravan, and WOW! we go away some weekends coz i only have to go in the car (as far as the drive) haha....then land on campsite and sit inside van and look out onto different surroundings. It's even had me walking Shocked YES walking! along the beach with hubby and it felt SOOOOO exhilarating to do that.

Maybe somewhere inside, there is something awaiting you all too, and you are able to find that escape from time to time from the hum drum of everyday life....i truly hope you all some day find it. sunny

I'm so glad i found this site, it really has made me feel almost instantly better just knowing i,m not alone and we can keep chatting to like minded people with similar issues. This is the first time i'v ever spoke about it (hence the long post sorry) LOL

Thankyou all

I wish you all the very best and i,m here to chat if anyone needs a friend (As long as you don't want me to come out and play!) hehehe

Huggs to you all X wave
|

replied December 10th, 2009
hey Smile i get the same sort of feeling, its horrible, i thought my life was lost forever. but i definitely have ups and downs.
the worst thing about it is the look on peoples faces when they see me Sad i hate it, i hate people reacting to me in a bad way, and it makes me feel way worse. i just get this sinking feeling when i see people look at me, and then completely unemotional.

i feel like im losing myself completely, like this problem will always stay with me even if i stop it for a period of time. like im marked. the only problem i had before this started to happen was some social anxiety, but now i feel like im not myself and i will never be who i was originally. i wont ever be fully happy. like im stuck with this horrible self forever. i know its a horrible way to think but i cant think otherwise, because im not a thick-skinned person, im very sensitive.

Write me if you want to talk.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
If you identify with several of the following signs and symptoms, and they just won’t go away, you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder.

* Are you constantly tense, worried, or on edge?
* Does your anxiety interfere with your work, school, or family responsibilities?
* Are you plagued by fears that you know are irrational, but can’t shake?
* Do you believe that something bad will happen if certain things aren’t done a certain way?
* Do you avoid everyday situations or activities because they make you anxious?
* Do you experience sudden, unexpected attacks of heart-pounding panic?
* Do you feel like danger and catastrophe are around every corner?
|

replied December 12th, 2009
i have been diagnosed with social anxiety, but i think thats long gone. im just suffering from losing myself.

i feel like my mind is my worst enemy, like it turns down feelings of happyness because im worried about that very thing happening.

for example im usually stoked about getting a christmas tree, but for some reason i feared getting one because it may trigger unrealization. i feel disconnected with everything around me.

the thing is, the unrealization is triggered when the slight possibility of it happening pops into my head. sometimes its 5 seconds after i wake up, then i worry about it coming on, then it happens. Sad
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Hi,
I'm glad (once again)there are others out there besides me. The very first post on here, is almost word for word how I feel. I have stopped anwering my phone on my bad days so I don't go off on my friends that are still around. I'm down to just one good day a week if I'm so lucky. The bed is my best friend, and my husband waits till I'm sleeping before coming to bed at night. Though this past month, I'm up all night and sleep mostly during the day. I can't really drive anymore thinking someone is going to hit me, and when my husband drives(who has a CDL, and has had it since he was 1Cool I freak out. I have been trying different meds for the past 4 months. But with that comes the withdrawel of one and time for the other to start takening effect. It just really sucks like your in a black-hole and just keep falling with no way out.
|