Hi! First time poster here and this is going to be along one, so I apologize ahead of time. And to get this out of the way I'm a 27 year old male. I'm not very overweight but a little (maybe 10 pounds or so).
I've recently (the past few months) started experience some very annoying, yet non-serious (I don't think?), stomach issues. I've had stomach issues my whole life, though nothing as persistent as they've been now. Stomach issues also run in my family - father has a spastic colon, acid reflux, divaticulitis (sp?), barrets esophagus, etc. I've also lost 2 uncles to colon cancer. My issues have always been minor - gas, random diarrhea, heartburn, and just random uneasy feeling in my stomach.
So now that my backstory is out of the way, let's get to where I am now. About 3 months ago I made the mistake of eating McDonalds (I usually prefer BK). About an hour after eating I got a "knot" in my stomach, like I was going to have really bad diarrhea (not unusual, as stated above). However, it never came. Instead the feeling moved from the knot to a constant feeling like I had to burp/fart, however I never did. This continued through the night and eventually I got the point where I so bloated with gas I started to feel nauseous. This is a bad thing for me. I have a strange phobia of throwing up. This sent me into a panic attack, which eventually landed me in the hospital because my heart palpitations really scared me.
They (the docs at the hospital) did an EKG and told my heart was fine. They ignored my stomach pain. They told me it was from stress. You see, I was a few weeks away from my wedding at that point and my now wife is pregnant. I believed them because I am definitely a very stressed out person and have been suffering from really bad anxiety since we learned she was pregnant. I continued to not feel very well. Nothing major. No real diarrhea (nothing more than usual for me), no constipation, no pain. Just a feeling of uneasy.
I continue to not feel great to this day. I do have some good days/weeks but I also have some pretty bad days/weeks where I just feel terrible. I've been to my doctors a few times. He keeps telling me my stomach is fine and there's nothing to worry about. He's never done any tests but he says since I haven't had any pain that makes me stop what I'm doing or wakes me up at night, I'm ok. He told me I have a nervous stomach and has prescribed me Prozac to help with my anxiety (which, along with my stress, has been way high as mentioned). Instead of going into detail of all the symptoms I'm just going to list them -
- General feeling of stomach uneasiness. (Doctor says nervous stomach)
- Increase of gas and bloating after eating. (Doctor said anxiety is making me swallow too much air, but I chew with my mouth closed?)
- Increase of stomach noises, especially after eating. These are not loud. More like rumbling. Don't think anyone else can hear them. (See what doctor said about increase of gas/bloating).
- Consistent bowel movements. No diarrhea or constipation. Very rarely do I have to strain to "get it out". Never any pain but sometimes discomfort.
- The only pain I ever feel is more like gas pains. They come and go and move all around my stomach, never the same spot.
- Sometimes my stomach feels "tight", the same way a back or neck muscle might feel tight.
- I've been noticing once or twice a week my stomach muscle will spasm. (Doctor said this was normal and I'm paying more attention to now because of my anxiety. Also said stress and tension can increase this sensation).
- No black stool or blood in stool.
- Sometimes I feel like I have to burp/fart but just can't. If I don't burp/fart for long enough I start to feel nauseous.
- No vomiting. The only time I feel nauseous is when I feel like I have to burp but I can't.
- I feel anxious when it's time to eat. I don't want to feel like crap after eating. This anxiety makes me feel worse.
- Constant body aches. Doctor said this is due to tension caused by anxiety/stress.
- I've noticed a weird white looking substance in my stool a few times recently. Almost looks like wet paper. There's not a lot of it, and it's attached to the stool (and inside it, maybe). I don't think it's mucus or fat, but maybe? This is the reason I'm posting. It may or may not be a new symptom. I've never inspected my stool until these problems started. It may very well be normal.
Some things I've done to try and improve my condition. Some have helped for various reasons, some haven't -
- Drastic eating habit changes. No longer do I eat fast food 3-4 times a week. I also eat smaller meals, more frequently. Cut out fatty foods. More veggies. Etc.
- Been walking 2 miles every night about 1-2 hours after eating. This helps me sleep. I've always had problems getting to sleep and staying asleep.
- Been taking Prilosec OTC. This just helps balance me out. I don't know why?
- Been taking 1-a-day vitamins.
- No longer drink 3-4 cans of soda a day. Now I drink at most 1 can of Ginger Ale a day.
- No longer eat before bed. I now eat 3-4 hours before bed.
- Just started taking Probiotics, Align to be exact.
So that's what I've been dealing with. Nothing serious, I don't think. It is, however, been very annoying. My doctor really thinks it's because of Anxiety and Stress (My wife and I are expecting our first child). Could this all be related to that? I don't know. The white stuff in my stool recently has started making me more nervous and anxious, so I figured I'd post here. Any insight, tips, advice, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!