Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Non Functioning Gallbladder

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I was recently hospitalized due to Non Functioning Gallbladder with no stones..I also experienced Pancreatitis..and live inflammation...my internest recommends the gallbladder removed. Can I safely keep a non functioning Gallbladder..Hidascan came back with 0% function..no blockage..but inflammed ducts..so is it safe to NOT remove the gallbladder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
I am not sure why you have pancreatitis and liver inflammation if you have no gallstones, frankly. Removing your gallbladder would address any gallbladder pain that you might be experiencing after eating, but may not address the pancreatitis and liver problems that you describve.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied April 28th, 2011
Non-functioning gallbladder
I may have a non-functioning gallbladder as per my surgeon, but not certain, yet. The HIDA scan is scheduled in five days. I have been in a nightmare for ten months.
I had an episode of severe upper abdominal pain with radiation to the left chest and left shoulder that brought me to the Emergency Department ten months ago in June 2010. The CT scan demonstrated markedly enlarged spleen. I was then referred to an oncologist/hematologist because of the splenomegaly.

After six months of excruciating pain, the spleen was removed. The pathology report showed histiocytosis but no treatment was ordered.

I felt better for a few weeks, but then at six weeks post-op (around the time I tried to eat solid food again) started experiencing excruciating pain in the mid and right upper quadrant of the abdomen, with nausea/vomiting and fever. CT demonstrated liver was markedly enlarged with partial bowel obstruction/ileus. I was admitted for hydration and pain management. No other treatment.

Labs: Thankfully, my liver enzymes are only mildly elevated. Platelets and monocytes are high.

Since February, I have had an intermittent fever with chills and continued severe upper abdominal pain. Sometimes I do not know if the pain is worse on the left (where the left lobe of my liver has enlarged/migrated to) or right side of the abdomen. I cannot sit up without causing a severe increase in the abdominal/flank/shoulder pain. The ribs feel like they are cutting into my internal organs. It is painful to even lightly touch my abdomen. After multiple trips to the oncologist/hematologist and gastroenterologist, a transjugular liver biopsy was ordered that revealed granulomatous changes consistent with sarcoidosis.

It is now four months post-splenectomy and I have been referred to a sarcoidosis clinic, histiocytosis clinic and a surgeon. I just saw the surgeon two days ago and he said I may have a non-functioning gallbladder. This sounds consistent with information I have been reading. I have not been able to eat solid foods for two months without nausea and/or vomiting. I have been experiencing excruciating pain, requiring Dilaudid for relief. I do not drink alcohol and have never used narcotics for anything other than post-operative relief. I am not certain how much longer I can handle the pain. I am miserable and ache all over.

All prior scans and ultrasound studies said the gallbladder was normal/unremarkable. I have a HIDA scan scheduled in five days.

Questions:
1. Does this sound consistent with a non-functioning gallbladder?
2. Could the splenomegaly have been caused by a non-functioning gallbladder?
2. My cholesterol is 393. Does a non-functioning gallbladder contribute to a high cholesterol?
|

replied November 8th, 2011
Non Functioning Gall Bladder
Yes! I have had the same pain (internal and to the touch) that you are describing and I have had night fever and chills. I had the HIDA scan last Friday and my Dr just called. I have a low "ejection fraction" which means my gall bladder is only working at about 10% and is causing this pain.. He has referred me to a general surgeon to have it removed. You need to do the same!

Monica
South Carolina
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.