Medical Questions > Parenting > Grade School Kids Health Forum

"NON-Breathing spot" associated with panic attack or s

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
When my daughter was younger she kept talking about this "Non-breathing spot" in her chest. I never gave it much thought, just chalked it up to the usual complaints. One night the whole family was in the pool. My husband picked her up from behind. Grabbing her around the chest. She began saying "my non-breathing spot". He put her down. She began having trouble breathing. I had her get out and sit for a few minutes to see if it would help. She only got worse. I jumped out and my husband and I gave her a couple of puffs from her inhaler. This did not help so we gave her a breathing treatment. While all of this was going on my husband and I began to panic and then to argue. Meanwhile she was getting worse. We realized her heart was beating VERY fast and the medicine we had given her made that worse. She wasn't having trouble breathing, she was breathing rapidly. Anyhow we ended up calling the ambulance, took her to the hospital, sat there for over an hour where she finally began to calm down. During this episode she was talking but not really making any since. She complained of not being able to feel her legs and that she couldn't control her self. In fact she wet herself. The hospital had no answers as the episode was pretty much over by the time they got her in. The next day she told me that her "Non-breathing spot" was gone...? We thought okay great...whatever it was. Yesterday, I received a call from my daughters school saying she felt like her heart was beating really fast, like she'd taken her inhaler like 10 times when in fact she hadn't taken it at all. I told them my husband was on his way to get her. He called me about 10 minutes later saying that they had called an ambulance for her because she was breathing very rapidly. I rushed out there to find the whole thing beginning again. This time instead of sending my daughter on the ambulance I helped her walk to my car, put her in and proceeded to drive home very slowly. As I drove I gently rubbed her leg and calmly talked to her asking her questions trying to get her talking back. Hoping to get her mind otherwise occupied. It took a few minutes but it worked. I listened to the whole story about how she had gotten so mad at another student she wanted to kick him. She chased him but he got away. She said she was so mad she had to kick someone so, she kicked the fence then punched it. Then she said she wanted to bite herself. During this episode I had to take her eraser from her which she began chewing on and then her pencil she was digging into her leg. The whole time she was kind of chlostrophobic. Kicking off her shoes and socks, not wanting people to touch her. Pulling at her hair. Uncotrollably clenching her fists. I thought after the attack she would be weak and tired. She actually said she wasn't. She said her legs felt a little weak and shaky but that was all. I'm totally baffled and confused as to what is going on. I'm really hoping for any advice or assistance with this. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The history provided and the symptoms described indicate them to be due to Panic attacks.

Since the physical examination at the hospital was normal, it is conclusive that she may not be having any ventilatory disorders or defective areas in the lung (Non breathing spots).

Children and adolescents with panic disorder have unexpected and repeated periods of intense fear or discomfort, along with other symptoms such as a racing heartbeat or feeling short of breath. Symptoms of a panic attack include - intense fearfulness, palpitations, lightheadedness, shortness of breath or a feeling of being smothered, trembling and anxiety.

Panic attacks can interfere with a child's relationships, schoolwork, and normal development. In extreme cases depression can also occur. Hence your daughter would need a proper counselling and evaluation by a child psychiatrist, along with cognitive behavior therapy. With such treatment, the kid can learn ways to control anxiety or panic attacks when they occur. The combination of medication and psychotherapy will eventually help to stop panic attacks.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Grade School Kids Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.