Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Noises in sleep waking me up

When i'm asleep I sometimes wake up abruptly as i have heard a loud noise. I can never work out if i have dreamt the noise or if it is an actual noise. I guess i am dreaming it but is it normal for a noise in my dream to be so loud it wakes me up?
Noises vary from scratching, banging, whispering. I never remember what i was dreaming about (normally i remember quite a bit about dreams but not if ive been waken because of a noise)
This has been going on for about 3 years now (from what i recall) It's not every night but is pretty frequent.

I was just hoping to find some answers if anybody has any?

Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Exploding Head Syndrome.
Last night while I started to fall asleep I heard a bang like no other. I can't even describe the sound. It sounded like the world exploded. I know it seems extreme but it was really that loud. I instantly jerked awake with pure fear consuming me. At first I had no clue to what had happen. I just laid in my bed with my heart pounding out of fear. Once I calmed myself down I was shocked to realize it was just a dream. Even thinking about it now gets my heart racing. The magnitude and realism of the sound was unbelievable, So much I felt i needed to look it up online to see if there were others with a similar experience. I did come across a few post calling it "Exploding Head Syndrome". The name fits well:) I hope this was a one time experience. I don't think my heart could take another.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
noises like that keep waking me up every single night its like 1/2 is in my dream and the other half is in reality..i been trying to figure it out but there is no explanation cause the noises come from random objects like chair,tv,table, or even a flat sheet of paper......its weird...but i know there has to be an explanation to those loud noises.......
|

replied September 15th, 2013
noises
I am going thru the same thing all of the sudden. Random noises keep waking me up and I can't figure out if I am dreaming them or really hearing them. They are not that loud but I am always wake up with a start.
|