Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Nodules with normal tsh levels.

It is late and I am worrying extremely bad.
To start off I was having heart palpitations and went to the doctor. Ekg was fine. So I was okay and then I still continues to have them. I quit drinking caffeine for almost two weeks and still was having them. I went back and she done another Ekg and it was fine. She looked at my history and noticed that I had my thyroid tested every six months because my sister had high thyroid levels and got her thyroid removed and it had cancerous cells. She said sometimes the thyroid can make you have heart palpitations. She felt my neck and said I should get an ultrasound done. I did that the next day and they found nodules. No I have to go for a scan.
I have been searching the internet and I came across so many diagnosis. My hubby tells me to quit diagnosing myself using the net because it leads to late night worrying lol.
I am just so worried. I have been having difficulty swallowing and i wake up in the middle of the night with a very dry throat. To me it seems that my neck has swollen a little more. But again this may be just me thinking the worst. I feel fine,my lymph nodes do not seem to be swollen.
Any help would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyrahU
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
First thing: stay calm.

Second thing: don't stop researching, but stop diagnosing yourself. The only way you're going to be fully informed is to research and ask your doctor questions. Write down all your questions and take them to your next doctor visit. Make him answer all of them and don't let him dismiss you.

Third thing: Thyroid disorders are very treatable.

How did your sister do after her surgery? Have you talked to her and asked her questions?

The fact that you have multiple nodules rather than just one makes it less likely that it is cancerous. Have they done any blood tests to check your hormone levels? Most people who have nodules don't have abnormal blood tests because the nodules themselves don't produce hormones or alter the thyroid's function in that way.

Some of your symptoms may be due to your stress and the fact that you are looking for something to be wrong. Wait for the scan and see what it says. Your doctor may want to biopsy the nodules to see if they are suspicious. Don't worry, the biopsy (with a small needle) is not as bad as it sounds. If it shows nothing, they'll want to wait and see if the nodules grow. You will probably have another scan in 6 months or a year.

If you are having trouble swallowing, ask the doctor if it is related. If the nodules are pushing on your airway or esophagus, the doctor will probably advise you to have them removed regardless of whether they are suspicious.

Personally, doing research actually made me worry a lot less. Words like "nodules," "growths," "surgery," and "cancer" all are really scary. But if you really look into what these mean in the context of your thyroid, you'll see that it is likely that it isn't cancerous and the prognosis is really good if it is. Look into your options and ask your doctor about them.

All the best. Feel free to write back if you have more questions.
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
Enlarged thyroid/sick
Super scared right now. I am a 27 yr old female. One week ago I got a cold runny nose sore throat ear poppings greenish yellowish discharge from nose. I went to the dr 4 days later as I was not getting better. Had an exam and she said I had a lot of fluid in my right ear. She said I had sinusitis! Gave me augmentin 875 mg. So as she was examining me she found my thyroid to be very swollen. She said it feels way larger then normal and asked if it felt full or pressure. I said yes but thought it all was related to the cold I was having. She then told me the two have nothing to do with eachoter. Ordered tsh levels and all the blood tests you get to check your thyroid. They came back within normal range. I also had an ultrasound done of my throat and still waiting for results. Scared thinking the worst! All weekend I've had pressure around my neck like someone pushing in my center of throat and it's hard to breathe little activities leave me somewhat breathless. Feel off balance, shaky, flu like feeling, fuzzy thinking also have a swollen groin this am! Please anyone help! Opinions appreciated. Thanks for taking the time and listening Smile god bless
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with the doctor that your flu symptoms have no connection to your thyroid. Thyroid hormones being off can make you tried and make your thinking fuzzy, but these don't come on suddenly, it's usually slow over months (which is why people often don't even notice). If your TSH is in the normal range, your thyroid isn't what is causing your problem.

I think it is more likely that you have some sort of virus or bacterial infection (like your doctor said) and the enlarged thyroid was just caught on the physical exam, rather than it being the source of your symptoms. This is often how these things are found. Your doctor was right to order blood tests and an ultrasound. The ultrasound will also help to show whether this is swelling of the entire thyroid or not.

Right now, I think you should take it easy, rest, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritiously. The sinus infection is probably what is making you so tired, so slow down and let your body heal. Once you are over the infection, you will feel a lot better. It is possible that the enlargement of the thyroid is pushing on your airway a bit, but it is also possible that your new awareness of it is causing you to feel as if it is. Remember, this isn't something that would have come on suddenly, it would have been happening slowly over months or longer. If you weren't feeling the pressure before the doctor told you about it, it may just be partially the fact that you know about it now. Try to calm down and wait for the test results.

Once you know more, feel free to re-post. Also, don't be afraid to ask your doctor a lot of questions. It will help with your anxiety if you know what is going on and what the next steps are.
|

replied June 5th, 2013
"If your TSH is in the normal range, your thyroid isn't what is causing your problem."

I disagree with this statement. While many thyroid disorders can be detected utilizing blood work, I have personal experience with blood work being normal. I had every lab test performed possible- TSH, T3, T4, CBC w/ diff., full metabolic panel- and ALL test came back normal. My doctor was ready to dismiss they thought of a thyroid disorder, but as I could feel and see a large lump in my neck, I pushed him to order an U/S. The results came back as a 2cm complex cyst completely covering the right portion of my thyroid. There are also 3 smaller cysts present (1 on the isthmus, 2 on the left portion).

Blood work cannot always determine thyroid problems. There is an excellent book by Dr. David Brownstein discussing the commonality of misdiagnosing thyroid disorders based on blood work. I highly recommend.
|

replied June 5th, 2013
"If your TSH is in the normal range, your thyroid isn't what is causing your problem."

I disagree with this statement. While many thyroid disorders can be detected utilizing blood work, I have personal experience with blood work being normal. I had every lab test performed possible- TSH, T3, T4, CBC w/ diff., full metabolic panel- and ALL test came back normal. My doctor was ready to dismiss they thought of a thyroid disorder, but as I could feel and see a large lump in my neck, I pushed him to order an U/S. The results came back as a 2cm complex cyst completely covering the right portion of my thyroid. There are also 3 smaller cysts present (1 on the isthmus, 2 on the left portion).

Blood work cannot always determine thyroid problems. There is an excellent book by Dr. David Brownstein discussing the commonality of misdiagnosing thyroid disorders based on blood work. I highly recommend.
|