Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

no period after stopping depo shot (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
i took the depo shot for 1 year. I stopped because i didn't have any health insurance to go back to the doctor to refill my prescription. I haven't had my period for 2 months now. I can not be pregnant but i was just wondering if something was wrong with me or if it was normal for me to not have my period. I have been told that it is normal for my body to take a long time to get back to normal but i wanted and experts advice. Thanks:)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper UnknownABC
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2009
Supporter
It normally takes a long time for periods to return if you have been on the Depo Provera shot. I took my last shot in June 08 and my periods did not resume until February 09. That is why the Depo shot is only recommended for women who do want any more children or do not plan to have a baby for several years.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Wow! I told the idiot that gave me the shot that I wanted to get a full check up because I want to have another baby if my health will allow it. I got talked into the shot on the 14th of February and have been bleeding since the 19th. Hopefully that means if I don't get another shot things will straighten out. It seems like the PA advised me to take this shot when he should have known it was a bad idea (i told him I wanted to try to have a baby if my health would allow it). I'm 46 and understand the risks involved - and it should be my decision - and based on what seems to be common knowledge about this shot, the PA was trying to make the choice for me. Does anyone know if/when this bleeding might stop on it's own? I'm reluctant to go back to the clinic where I got the shot because every bit of advice seems to be the oposite of what would be considered good advice. If I really wanted to mess up someone's life I'd tell them to do everything this PA told me to do.
|

replied May 8th, 2012
hi i had the shot for 6 months i bleed for the 1st 3 months then on and off for the last 3 months as the shot was wearing off i ended up in hospital with severe cramps and vomiting turned out my overies had been bleeding into my pelvic due to the needle (1 side effect u are neva told about) i was told by my surgon to stop having the shots as it willc ause more health problems, i didnt get a period for 4 months after and i got my 1st period 2 weeks ago for 5 days and now have another period which is very strange. i advize u look into other forms of BC as there is really nothing good about these shots
|

replied January 20th, 2013
The same exact thing happened to me, except i didn't get my cycle until 6 months after my last shot.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied December 7th, 2012
depo shot
I started the depo in April 2012 didn't have any bleeding or anything til my third shot then I started spotting daily then the next shot came along and I kept bleeding for like two months so I stopped the shot. No I have no bleeding nor periods. I do want another child I'm only 28 and I have a 7 year old and a 9 month old. . If ur still taking the shot stop it soon. I've taking two pregnancy test both negative idk what going on inside my body. Hope this helps and if u have any info for me contact me
|

replied November 20th, 2009
DEPO
I was on the shot from dec 08-june 09. From March 09 until aug 09 i had my period the whole time on and off. Finally in June of 09 i stopped taking the depo shot and then my period stoped in aug i have not had one since. They say it can take up till a year to get a normal period back.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
i had been on depo for 8 years. i got my last shot in june 09, so would have been due for another in sept.
i got my period yesterday and it has been extremely heavy thus far....
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2009
can i be pregnant? no period but negative test
i started the depo shot sept 08 after giving birth and got my last june 09. still no period. can i get pregnant since im not getting piriods. i feel pregnant and even feel my tummy hardening but all pregnancy test i've taken come out negative.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Once you stop taking the shot it is always possible for you to get pregnant. But chances are VERY slim for you to conceive.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
this is normal as i was on it for 5 year @ it took me olmost 2 month to even get back on track. it has olso took me 5 year after that to get prog. all i have to say is give ur body time to recycl it self.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
depo bad experience
I began depo june 2000. My last injection was December 2004. It is now Jan. 2010 and I am still not regular. I started very light spotting 4 months after my last shot. My period comes whenever it wants to. Every other month, once a month, twice a month. It can be very light or very heavy with large clots. It will last 3 days or it may stay for 3 weeks. I have had ultrasounds, blood work to test my hormone levels, plenty of pap smears, and a cervical biopsy. They can't find anything wrong with me. Depo is the worst I could have ever done.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
I have to agree I regret taking depo. I only had one shot and stopped coz gained over 5 kilograms and now I hav been spotting a brown color for over 3 mnths. Does anyone no why it's brown? I'm stresssedd
|

I have to agree I regret taking depo. I only had one shot and stopped coz gained over 5 kilograms and now I hav been spotting a brown color for over 3 mnths. Does anyone no why it's brown? I'm stresssedd
|

User Profile
Supporter
Brown discharge is old blood. The blood is not heavy enough to flow out normally like when you have a regular menstrual cycle. By the time your body expels it, it is thicker and brown. Nothing to be worried about.
|

How long until my cycle is back to normal.? Becuase I truely love my boyfriend and he is leaving for the army for 6 mnths and I wanna give him a liittle fare well gift coz decided to make him wait Razz
|

replied February 15th, 2010
period after depo shot
I was on the depo shot for 6 years I stopped taking it in june of 09 its now feb of 2010 and i still havent had a period. I do not recomend this for anybody me not having a period for so many months has caused problems in my relationship, not to mention the pysical side affects it has caused!!!!
I would like to know when my period will be back?
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
JA, It can take as much as 12 months for the Depo shot to get out of your system. Some women will only start to ovulate and menstruate 18 months later. It is however not possible to predict how long it will take for you.

Unfortunately they don't tell you this when you go on Depo! It is like a dirty little secret shared by women that came off the shot.

Sorry to hear about the problems it caused and I hope things are now better for you.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
3 years
I was on the shot for 2 years. The first year I had my period as the shot wore off
But now I don't have a period at all. I have not had a period for three years.
Can someone please help!
|

replied March 16th, 2010
I was on depo for a year and a half; I went from Aug 07 to Feb 09 with no period and it only started up again when I went on the pill. Still on the pill; no clue what my body will do when I go off.
|

replied March 31st, 2010
depo
i was on it for 5 years and it took a year for me to become pregnant after i stopped taking it, i didnt have any problems, i think ever4eyone is different, i didnt have any periods at all whist i was on depo, which i was grateful for. but it is quite a scary thing that it stops you working properly as a woman should
|

replied August 10th, 2010
depo injection
hi, i have had the depo once i was due it agen on the 23rd ov july but did not have it.I have still not cum on my period i have all the signs ov bein pregnant(vomitin,heartburn,always tired ect) done preg test n all cum bk sayin negative can some 1 plz help Smile
|

replied August 26th, 2010
I was on depo for two years. I got off and 6 months later got pregnant and had a beautiful healthy baby girl. I went back on depo after she was born in 2003 and was due for my next shot april 2010. I didn't get my next shot as i am ttc. I got af this week and am hoping to concieve next month. Heres for hoping things go right. Oh i am also overweight so i think it depends how your body reacts to the medicine on how long it takes to get pregnant after your off depo.
|

replied October 5th, 2010
Took Depo Shot Once
I took the depo shot once and had my period all through the 3 months but have not had a period since. I don't understand. I was supposed to get my 2nd shot July 12th and it is now October 5th and still no sign. I did have sex during that time but I'm pretty sure I would know if I was pregnant. Anyways I'm really confused. They said they could give me a medication to get my period started again but is that safe?
|

replied December 1st, 2010
help me confuse
can anybody help me i only took depo once and now i am really really confuse been eating alot more then usual and haven't started either does any body know pls help ?
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi My first and only injection with depo was March 3 2011. I started while I was in the middle of my seasonique cycle which prevents periods for 3 months. The last menstrual cycle I had was back in January, 9 months ago and 4 of those 9 months has been birth control free. I believe after 3 months my period was supposed to return according to my doctor, especially because I only received one injection. Pregnancy test after test has been negative and there are no changes in my uterus so I believe that I may be infertile at this point and I have stopped ovulating. I am only 25 so this is scary and I have no children. I have already lost a baby at 5months due to it being ectopic what are my options?
|