Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

No desire to eat

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi, I recently found this board, but was hesitant about posting anything here. While I know for sure that I'm not sufering from Anorexia or Bulimia or Compulsive Overeating, I know there is something wrong.

I'm a teenage girl, very small in build, have always been underweight - not by choice, that was just the way my body was all my life. No matter how much I eat/drink, I've remained at a 90 lbs. my entire life.

But lately... I don't eat. I have no desire to eat... no appetite. No hunger. My stomach doesn't rumble to signal me, and if my parents didn't put three meals a day in front of my face, I would forget to eat. I don't do this on purpose! I've always tried to gain weight to be in a healthy range, I *know* I should be a little bit bigger, and I *want* to be.

What's wrong with me? Because halfway through each one of my meals, I get full and taking one more bite makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Like I'm too full. I don't want to be like this; I hate worrying my parents with my lack of appetite.

Just last year, if someone held a large pizza in front of me, I could inhale 5 slices and drink a 2 litre of Coke, and have enough room for ice cream. Now, with pizza, I eat 2 slices before I'm full.

Please help? What could I do to start eating again?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper simply_me2
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2009
Experienced User
No, this doesn't sound like anorexia or bulimia.
ANOREXIA: purposeful restriction of food to keep from gaining weight

BULIMIA: compulsive binging followed by purging of calories (through vomiting and/or laxative abuse or even exercising)

What it sounds like to me is just a "traumatized stomach". Trust me, this can happen. I suggest you see a doctor. Smile
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Oddly, I also have lost my desire to eat. I wouldn't say it's as strong as yours, but im only finishing about half of my meals everyday. Ever since I was younger I was always overwieght. Im 14 now, and still slightly overweight, but I'm losing weight... about 2-3 pounds a week I would guess. I used to have a healthy appetite, one to two slices of pizza and a glass of soda. I was always overweight just because I must have a slow motabalism. Now I can barely finish one piece of pizza, and not even take a sip of my soda before I feel like I'm going to burst... My loss of appetite started right after I got my first period. I thought that I was probably bloated (while still having my first period) and that was probably why I wasn't hungry. My full appetite never came back after that. What could be wrong with me? Is this normal for pubescent girls to lose their appetite when they get their period because your body is going through so many changes? Will my appetite come back?
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2009
Experienced User
I wonder why you have no desire to eat. It is strange. But I think that if you are eating and have eaten this way for a very long time then you will be OK. When you leave your parents you can continue to eat and maybe with the help of an eating forum or something if you need it. Just to stay on track and maybe get to a healthy weight. But stay on track!
|

replied June 14th, 2011
maybe its some thing wrong with ppl like us?
no you wont, gain weight by stuffing your mouth full of food believe me been there done that, i am suffering from the same thing, have been for a few years. i have no clue why or whats going on, maybe its a med thing that only a few ppl have or know about get checked. i am going to the doctor in the morning to find out what she says, note i have had tests done on my thyroid and it came back normal, and i have a calorie intake of 3500 a day, and still no gain. im 5'6 and 26 years old and weigh 105 its been this way since i was 5!! just saying maybe its some thing that no one knows about yet, cause the focus, is on mainly ppl that wanna lose weight not gain. ppl dont understand how it feels to have everyone you know, talk about how tiny you are. of be in a store and a stranger comes up and asked if you have an eating disorder. :[

it dont feel nice, just like big ppl want to be small and they get hurt to be called fat! tiny ppl get hurt to be called tiny, cause most cant change it no mater how hard they try. big ppl remember that the next time your out with friends and see tiny ppl, maybe its not there falut.
|

replied November 13th, 2012
I am experiencing the exact same situation right now and it seems that it is fairly common yet not considered an "Eating Disorder". I do get midly hungry but the second i try to eat something I have absolutely no desire to do so. Food doesn't taste good and it makes me nauseous just trying to eat a portion of the food. This has been going on for a couple years now but has become a bigger issue now than it was. I'm 5"7 and 24 years old, this is something I have been dealing with, while not at the same time, since I was 16. All the responses that seem to be appearing are to talk to your doctor, I don't have one and haven't for years as I have been on my own since I was 18 and haven't gone to the dr for roughly two years prior to that. There is no way I'm going to the hospital or a walk-in-clinic for an answer. If anyone who has posted on this who has stated that they are going to a doctor or a clinic in regards to this, it would be greatly appreciated for my self (and everyone else I think) if you could let us know what they informed you of. Thank you very much to every one who is brave enough to share their situation and for those who are trying to help.
|

replied November 20th, 2012
maybe an answer?
I was looking up for answers and ran across this I may have an answer for all of you... I am a type 1 diabetic have been since I was 2 I am 36 now I have had SEVERE problems with eating ALL my life. I have never had any desire to eat. Finally when my weight dropped down to 93 pounds a dr listened to me (1 year ago) I am SEVERELY Anti - Food. I hate anything to do with eating, drinking etc... I will only eat veggies and fruit due to the severity of my prelims with eating. Well one year ago I felt like I was going to die. I really thought I was allergic to water cause nothing and i mean nothing satisfied me. After several test I was going into Liver failure .... The cause though was fixable! Who knew struggled all my life cause I just flat out hated eating. I have helped several people with children who have the same issues with eating.... Its Celiac Disease Take all Gluten out of your diet. Once I did this i gained 30 pounds, most would say OMG I don't need 30 pounds but I am happy to have the weight for the first time ever! Its no easy task though thats for sure. The min I get gluten, I loose my desire to eat again and its a battle. I never showed any other symptoms until I was 35 and had it all my life, the only sign was no desire to eat. There is no need to see a doc for it just stop eating Gluten. Its healthier for you too Smile I have also discovered with my Celiac's being a more severe case I cannot eat meat, sugar (unless its fruit) and milk. I have helped children learn to eat again. Just wish it worked that well for me.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
loss of hunger
i am also suffering from a eating problems...m 23 years old ..i dont feel hunger now as i was feeling earliar...i visit dictors but they told me i m suffering with anorexia or depression but i m sure n really i m not anxious or depressed...i dnt know y all dis s hppng wid me...m confused..i have just lost my hunger....i just feel a slight desire to eat something i like but its not a hunger....n another thing is that wen i eat like dis i feel that i hvnt eaten anything ..it dsnt mean dat i feel hunger again but i feel like empty stomach but no hunger.....bcoz of dis m facing sleeping problems...i have to force myself to sleep...it dsnt come automatically..whole nyt i spent in trying to sleep...next morning i dont feel fresh but smwt dizziness...i feel smwt thirsty also at night tym...well m fade up wid all dis.will sm1 help me to know wt s dis hppng wid me?????
|

replied September 8th, 2013
I am also going through the same thing. I work two jobs, and I will wake up in the morning without eating, go to work for 8 hours, eat nothing there and come home. I'll eat a small meal around 8 or 9, but as hungry as I am I can never get through something heavy. And I could be starving, but if there is nothing in my kitchen that appeals to me I can't eat it.
|

replied September 20th, 2013
Experienced User
You can go to morning walk daily in the morning and drink lot of water in day around 7-8 litre in a day, this will perhaps increase your hunger.
|

replied October 15th, 2013
Experienced User
Re: No desire to eat
simply_me2 wrote:
Hi, I recently found this board, but was hesitant about posting anything here. While I know for sure that I'm not sufering from Anorexia or Bulimia or Compulsive Overeating, I know there is something wrong.

I'm a teenage girl, very small in build, have always been underweight - not by choice, that was just the way my body was all my life. No matter how much I eat/drink, I've remained at a 90 lbs. my entire life.

But lately... I don't eat. I have no desire to eat... no appetite. No hunger. My stomach doesn't rumble to signal me, and if my parents didn't put three meals a day in front of my face, I would forget to eat. I don't do this on purpose! I've always tried to gain weight to be in a healthy range, I *know* I should be a little bit bigger, and I *want* to be.

What's wrong with me? Because halfway through each one of my meals, I get full and taking one more bite makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Like I'm too full. I don't want to be like this; I hate worrying my parents with my lack of appetite.

Just last year, if someone held a large pizza in front of me, I could inhale 5 slices and drink a 2 litre of Coke, and have enough room for ice cream. Now, with pizza, I eat 2 slices before I'm full.

Please help? What could I do to start eating again?

No desire to eat is a something you can overcome by eating. To gain weight you have to eat as much as you can. The simple way of making your appetite feel hungry is to make your body sweat till you feel hungry. For this you start exercising, meditating and start eating forcefully even if you don’t feel like eating. Give yourself sound sleep of 8 hours and check if any change is there. Besides this try eating healthy food. If no changes are seen, then would suggest you to go for a doctor or health professional.
|

replied February 12th, 2014
I am 15 year old girl. And usually i eat, a lot. But lately, probably like the last month or 2, i have had no desire to eat anything. I know i am hungry and my stomach growls, but whenever i go to eat or think about food, i have no desire for it. Usually i eat a lot of food in a day, but now i only eat one or 2 things a day. And about 3 times in the last month i ate something i really liked, but threw it up, and now i can't even think about that food without feeling like i'm gonna throw up.. I don't want to be like this. i want to eat and not throw up and stuff. But it just makes me feel sick to my stomach. I don't know what's wrong with me. Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2014
Experienced User
A loss of appetite happens when you have no desire to eat. Loss of appetite or poor appetite can be due to mental condition or physical ailments. Most common reason of appetite loss is bacterial or viral infection according to experts. It is important to seek immediate medical help if you have poor appetite.
|

replied January 5th, 2016
I know this post is pretty old but I bet you have depression. For some people depression causes them to eat more while for others it causes them to have no desire to eat. There are times when I have no motivation at all to eat...sometimes not even to drink water! I find it very hard to get the motivation to eat even if I have an appetite. Also, if I don't eat when I'm actually hungry, I will loose motivation to eat once I get hunger pangs.
|

replied December 23rd, 2016
Could be gastroparesis too may want to have a stomach emptying test done
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2017
Experienced User
I think your taste has decreased so that you can't eat more as before. You need to go an expert that he/she can give you suggesion.
|