Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Night time convulsions

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Can I stop medication immediately, Epillum and Tegretol. My daughter is on it for more than 15 years but convulsions does not stop night time???????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
Tegretol should not be stopped immediately. really no medicine should unless you are on a dose so low that you aren't on a therapeutic level of it in the first place.

It took me 7 months to wean off the tegretol when I was in high school, but I don't remember what dose I was on to begin with - I'm sure it was pretty high.

Stopping any medication immediately puts you at significant increased risk for seizures, particularly of a type you've never had before and of Status Epilepticus

If you stop your daughter's medicine immediately you can also wind up in trouble with CPS for endangering her life - which is what you will be doing.

I used to skip my tegretol for weeks at a time because I hated it and I seemed to be fine, but it is playing russian roulette with your life when you do something like that
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
loss of Medicine, Tegretol
Now November 2010, is the 3rd time a/My Doctor has cut me off
"Cold Turkey", from Tegretol, each time a differant doc, but still they Did, i've had a little on hand to buffer the lack, & reach of vitamins, vallium, feverfew, skullcap, goldenseal, ~ but the Teg~ attacks my Red/white Blood cells and doc's don't care. in SE-Michigan
|