Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Night sweats , heart palpitations

User Profile
I have been having night sweats. I wake up after 3 hrs of sleep feeling hot. Once I am awake, my heart start to palpitate and i start to sweat. I fall asleep after i have cooled down and then the process repeats itself in another 3 hours. I wake up feeling dopey (even after sleeping for 10 hours) and have little appetite.

The doctors have done many tests and found my thyriod to be fine and no TB. Hoever, recently, they found my haemoglobin to be high (162g/l - normal range is 120-150 g/l). Also my RBC Count is high (5.31 - normal range is 3.8 - 4.8).

Also,i have noticed that my tongue is white in colour. Not sure what this means.

Can you help?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2010
Hypoglycemia Answer A15296
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the night sweats disturbing your sleep every 3 hours or so. You have also made a mention of thyroid being fine and TB having been ruled out.
There are many different causes of night sweats. To determine what is causing night sweats in your case, you must consult your doctor who after a detailed medical history and relevant tests may decide what underlying medical condition is responsible for the night sweats.
Few causes that might be ruled out in your case include hormonal disorders like pheochromocytoma and carcinoid syndrome, infections like abscesses, HIV infections,lymphomas and hypoglycemia especially if you are taking anti-diabetic treatment. The drug history is also important in your case as some anti-depressant medications can also cause night sweats.
In summary, night sweats are usually a harmless annoyance; however they are sometimes sign of underlying medical condition for which a consultation with a doctor is must.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.