Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

newly diagnosed son

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
my 23 year old son has been in and out of mental hospitals since June 2011. This wek they have finally given a diagnosis of schizophrenia. I am searching for information and any phone numbers for support and help for my family and my son when he is released in a few days. He seems to be doing well on the meds they have given him but I know the challenges he will face when he is released especially if he doesn't take his meds regularly. any and all help, #s, and advice is so greatly appreciated thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
The main thing for you to do is just try and be prepared, be strong but logical.

It's rough for everyone in this kind've situation.

And all that one can really do until it is law to make us take our pills is try and explain to us that yes it is our best option right now, if the pills help at all, even though they can be horrible, it is our best option.
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2012
The organisations MIND and SANE are very helpful. Both have websites, Also, I know MIND has a legal advice department. A good mental health Solicitor may be helpful in explaining his rights as a patient, ensuring he receives proper treatment and care, etc.

Also, where money is concerned, your local council should be able to assist with In/Direct Payments. or Independent Living Allowance, for some expenses, but it may be best if you handle the bookkeeping for this as councils are strict as to the expenditure of this by patients and/or their carers.

Wish I had know this a few years ago.

Hope it all goes as well as possible for you and your son.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Hope is a funny thing, why do it? I think that you know better than that. Don't you? Why act? Life is not a stage.

Furthermore, if you care for him, and it will be hard, don't let him go homeless whatever you do. I've almost been murdered three separate times, and I've had my car stolen. Just don't let him go homeless, do whatever you can to keep him in a home, any home, just not homeless.
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Buy yourself a net, so you can catch him if he runs.
|
Tags: diagnosis, meds
Quick Reply