Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Newborn stretching

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
i'm a first time mom and my baby is 3weeks old and i worry about how she frequently stretch her whole body..is that a normal way for them to feel comfortable?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile luvtiedye
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2009
My niece is like that. It's like she never stops moving and stretching. She's done that since she was born (and probably before that, lol) and she is now 4 months old and, for lack of a better word, perfect.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes, it's perfectly normal and congratulations Smile
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
What babies are doing when they "stretch" is called "pandiculation." It's what cats and dogs and all vertebrate animals do when they get up from rest. It readies the muscles for action. Adults do it as well when we wake up and yawn and "stretch out" before getting out of bed. It's very normal, very healthy, and "wakes up" the muscles at the brain level so that the baby can begin to learn to move and integrate sensory motor patterning. All humans learn through movement, and babies are amazing to watch as they figure the world out this way.

|

replied June 30th, 2012
Why does my Baby stretches both arms most of the times.
I have a baby girl.. she is 5 months now , and she almost always keeps her both arms stretched wide open, again she is very normal sometimes with both hands to normal positions.I think that is not "pandiculation", but why she does it I can't understand... Please, say if it is normal.
|