Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Neuropathy seems to be getting worse

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
I was diagnosed with Diabetes back in December. They have put me on Metformin 1000mg twice a day for my sugar and Gabapentin 300mg twice a day for the nerve pain. These past couple weeks it seems the pain is becoming worse even when my sugar is being kept normal. Hands, legs, feet. Has anyone else had this happen when you first started on medication until they can figure out what medications and dosage will work best for you? Thank you for your time and any help. Hope everyone is in good health and spirits.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Diabetic neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes, in which nerves are damaged as a result of high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia).

People with diabetes commonly develop temporary or permanent damage to nerve tissue. Nerve injuries are caused by decreased blood flow and high blood sugar levels, and are more likely to develop if blood sugar levels are not well controlled.

Some people with diabetes will not develop nerve damage, while others may develop this condition early. On average, symptoms begin 10 to 20 years after the diabetes diagnosis. Approximately 50% of people with diabetes will eventually develop nerve damage.

The severity of diabetic neuropathy depends on the age, duration you had the disease, the current glycemic control, the degree the nerves and tissues are affected and also the current treatment you are on.

The goals of treating diabetic neuropathy are to prevent the disease from getting worse and to reduce the symptoms of the disease.

Tight control of blood sugar (glucose) is important to prevent symptoms and problems from getting worse.

Medications may be used to reduce the symptoms in the feet, legs, and arms. These medications include: Amitriptyline, Doxepin, duloxetine, Gabapentin, Pregabalin, and valproate are used to treat the painful symptoms.

Capsaicin can be used topically to reduce pain.

In case one of the drug is not helpful over a period of time, your doctor can try a better one after due consideration. Every individual will respond to a different drug depending on the individual situation. But most newer drugs like gabapentin and duloxetine are always helpful to control the pain.

You might need to consult your doctor more often, until the proper medication for you is found.

I hope this helps.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated. The one thing that has me worried was I read that pain in the hands is very rare and is a sign of being chronic. They did some kind of test to see what my average sugar had been and it was 300-350. I had been having trouble eating for a very long time. Everything made me feel sick to my stomach. In the past 5 months I have lost around 55 pounds. I was a big guy 245 pounds now 188. The only reason I even went to the hospital was the leg pain became so intense I had no other choice. After reading so many things about my symptoms anywhere from MS, Diabetes, inflammation due to diet. My family doesn't have a history of diabetes so that was the bottom of the list until I got checked. Thank you again for the reply. I am calling my doctor tomorrow to move my next followup to a sooner date.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.