Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

nerve or a possible allergic reaction to the mesh?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
User Profile
I had femoral hernia repair with a mesh plugh put in about4 1/2 months ago. Now the at the site I get sharp pains, burning, than a cold sensation, that radiates down my leg and into my abdomin. Surgeon thinks it is a nerve or a possible allergic reaction to the mesh. He wants to do a nerve block to see if this will give me any pain relief. The pain is horrible. How do I tell if I am allergic to the mesh or not?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2012
Hernia Answer A40138
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Your Doctor seems right that you might be having an allergic reaction or a nerve inflammation. Nerve blocks are used for treatment of pain and inflammation if associated with the related nerve. If that also does not provide relief then allergy to mesh can be suspected. Allergic reaction is a common complaint and body tries to reject it and a scar tissue is formed around it. Treatment for this is to get back and remove the mesh.

Consider visiting the treating surgeon for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.