Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

nerve damage from crushed sciatic nerve

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
A little over a year ago I had successful surgery
for two severely herniated discs. One of the discs
had lost most of the jelly substance and it was
hanging caudally in my spinal canal causing a
burning sensation on my tailbone and my right
leg had lost all muscle control down the backside
and into the foot.
After the surgery the burning was gone, never to return,
but the pain in my leg was insane. The muscle had
already atrophied to the point of being three inches smaller
than my good leg.
It is only one inch smaller now after a year of working at it,
but it goes into charlie horses a lot and it always feels very tight.
Also there is nerve pain in my foot that sometimes even wakes me
up at night as it feels like I am being shocked, sometimes worse than
others. Will this ever heal? What are the chances my foot will ever feel normal?

I am a very healthy 42 year old woman.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 8th, 2009
damaged cciatic nerve
Hi, i know exactly how u feel!!I had a microdiscectomy 3 yrs ago,my left leg is still numb it throbs out of control,and theres no message going to my foot from my brain,i think thats perm nerve damage.I am only 44,now they say im not disabled,what do u think
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Hey luckeeu--BE CAREFUL bout telling your doctor(s) about numbness and pain in your leg, even though you say it's in your left leg. Some doctors get VERY concerned about liability, and it's "Bye-bye drivers license time". Best of luck Bro.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
I sometimes think I might be disables as someone would have to be very
understanding to hire me as I am in pain sometimes to the point of not being able to concentrate at all. I do believe for me that working will help me heal faster, but I can't find a job to save my life.
As for disability, I know you have to keep trying. They almost always say no
at first. I have two friends that both tried for years before finally getting a lawyer and they both get it now. It just took so many years. They were turned down over 5 times each, but when they were finally okayed, I do believe they got back pay..

I see your pain is in your left leg.. I believe in the mind body connection.
Most problems with the rights side like mine are problems with work and problems with the left side usually mean relationship issues.. This is why
I feel going back to work will help me. Can I force someone to hire me?
|

replied June 8th, 2009
sciatic nerve
I think you would be better off working from home,dont know bout you but my medication makes me very tired!!Have to have afternoon nap!!
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Do you take Neurontin or Lyrica? I was on both at different times but quit taking them because of how tired I felt and also so that I could feel the pain in my foot to gauge if it is improving. I know it may be wishful thinking, but I am still hoping that it will heal completely someday. I was drinking in the evening for relief but now realize that alcohol slows down the recovery process 10 fold. I wish that someone would have told me about that earlier.
People look at me and just assume that I don't drink so don't feel that there is a need to talk to me about it.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
back
Hiya,after an after noon of work i have found what is now wrong with me!!Go onto this website www.national institute of neurological disorders.I have diagnosed myself with peripheral nerve disorder,i have all the symptoms,In answer to your question i take paracetamol,tramadol and diazapam.And you shouldnt drink i know its easy to to make your self fel better,but u can talk to me anytime you want to
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Thanks and I sure hope that we both find some relief!
|

replied January 31st, 2014
crushed sciatic nerve
I had the L4/L5 disk explode, which crushed an inch of my sciatic nerve... now I have 3 bulging disks which has put pressure on the nerve not allowing it to heal...is still flatter than a pancake. Anyone know how to help with the extreme muscle spasms or charlie horse kinda pain I have all the way down left leg?
|