Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Nerve block ?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I have constant pain in my lower back that stems from lumbar 3&4 they tried a steroid shot and it didn"t work, so now they want to do the nerve block,which they tell me will grrow back and I"ll have to have it done again.Im scared about all this.What do you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi ANNA
you need a friend to help you get through this ordeal. new things that we have to go through can be difficult. just know that many people suffer from pain and in order to combat it we have to go through some discomfort. are you a young person. i know when i was younger i had trouble facing these procedures that i was not familiar with. now that i'm older i dont worry about it anymore. BRING IT ON is what i say now. so stand tall look the doc in the eyes and tell him youre ready to go!!!!
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Re: do i go ahead and get the nerve block
Annamaeoob wrote:
I have constant pain in my lower back that stems from lumbar 3&4 they tried a steroid shot and it didn"t work, so now they want to do the nerve block,which they tell me will grrow back and I"ll have to have it done again.Im scared about all this.What do you think?

Hi Anna,

I'm a bit confused in what you've said in your post.

You are asking if you should go ahead and get the nerve block

Then you state that you've been told that the nerves will grow and and the procedure will have to be repeated.

So my question is are you asking about a nerve block or radio frequency nerve ablation?

A nerve block is a steroid injection into a specific nerve area,

RFA/radio frequency nerve ablation, is a burning off of the nerves and a very different procedure. In this case, the nerves are "zapped' and sort of separated, minor nerves. The attempt is to terminate the messages going from the brain to the nerves by doing this and therefore, decreasing or stopping your pain.

It is true, that the nerves will grow back, anywhere from 6 to 18 months and you will need the procedure done again; if the first procedure was a success and it relieved your pain.

Have you had any testing done to see if you are a candidate for RAF? If that is what your doctor is suggesting and you have not been tested to see if there is a good chance that it will work, and they just want to go ahead and do it, you should find another doctor.
A doctor needs to specifically find out where the pain is coming from before doing RAF, otherwise it is a waste of time to bother and going through the procedure for no reason is not god.

Here are 2 links of info on RAF I did some time ago.
You might find this info helpful

http://ehealthforum.com/health/nerve-ablat ion-t165753.htlm

http://ehealthforum.com/health/radiofreque ncy-ablation-procedure-t152466.html

Fran
|