Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

nerve below my left eye starts blinking inside or jumping. why?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
please help me in knowing the reason. i'll be very thankfull.
thank you!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Vidyadhari,

Eye Twitching and Eyelid Twitches are actually very common. The following is taken from an article by Burt Dubow, OD.

Eye twitching causes

Eye twitching, eyelid tics and spasms are pretty common. Usually only the bottom lid of one eye is involved, but the top eyelid also can twitch. Most eye twitches come and go, although they can last for weeks or even months.

To find a solution for twitching eyes, the underlying cause of this annoying problem needs to be determined. Called myokymia, these rippling muscle contractions in an eyelid can be triggered by:

•Stress
•Tiredness
•Eye strain
•Caffeine
•Alcohol
•Dry eyes
•Nutritional imbalances
•Allergies

Almost all sudden-onset eyelid twitching is benign, meaning the condition is not serious or a sign of a medical problem. However, this kind of eye twitching also can be hard to treat. The only option for making the twitching stop may be to figure out the cause and deal with it.

More serious forms of eyelid twitching are caused by neurological conditions such as blepharospasm or hemifacial spasm. These conditions are much less common and should be diagnosed and treated by an eye doctor.

So, if the condition really bothers you, you should see your optometrist for an evaluation. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply