Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

neon blue lights flashing

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
This has several doctors I have been to baffled! I am already blind. Apparently there is one other known individual (somewhere in North America - I am in Canada) with similar symptoms but the information was not kept. I have been tested for everything from the obvious to the bizarre. I thought if we could find this person or anyone else with these symptoms, we could compare notes, perhaps save time and trouble, maybe even hopefully, learn something definitive - 2 or more heads focused on the same thing are better than 1 maybe!

I am 64 and this only presented itself relatively recently - I have been blind since 2007 and I was an employed, healthy family man prior to this. The symptoms I have today are:
neon blue lights flashing in both eyes...intermittently ! Terrible balance....walk like a drunken sailor and do tire! Sitting too long cause pain in left leg and swelling and left leg is completely numb...hence the reeling and staggering!

I would like to find the individual mentioned above or anyone else with similar symptoms. If you know anyone showing these same symptoms, could you please ask them to get in touch with me via this forum. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
blue lights
I also see flashing blue lights, as well as other visual anomalies, and suffer from systemic nerve pain. I am not blind, but disabled do to pain and temporal lobe epilepsy. The flashing lights began around the time of the first major seizures, in 2007. Doctors have found no explanation, but since I am unable to drive due to the TLE, it is a minor annoyance. One person told me perhaps they are angels. I don't know about this, but the cerulean blue glow is pretty. Less often, I see larger yellow flashes and sometimes green. My left side is effected by sciatica and peripheral neuropathy. Your balance problems could be due to this. Multiple Sclerosis also affects balance and vision. Migrains and seizures are sometimes preceeded by an "aura", which involves a perceptual distortion such as seeing lights or feeling deja vu. Sounds like you would benefit from visiting a neurologist. Good luck!
Beth
|

replied February 17th, 2012
I just started seeing the circle of blue lights. It is blue with a neon blue around it. I only have one eye , so I am concerned. I will be checking with my eye doctor. Have you gotten any additional information. Thank you.

Bette
|

replied December 14th, 2013
All my mygraines , I had at least 2 different kinds , have dissappeared with my change of diet , the blue lights are not the kaliedoscope beginnings of a mygraine - doctors cannot " diagnose" everything and the cure is not only drugs - CHANGE OF DIET will cure most things , eat natural to begin with. See post below - chris.
|

replied November 20th, 2009
i see blue neon lights/spots too! they dont really bother me, but i would like to know what causes them. i also lost all vision in left eye except for one little pinhole...for about 30 minutes.it was if someone drew a curtain and everything went black!prior to that i noticed i was not able to see the complete faces of my hubby and sister in law. i was told that i have ocular migraines...but the blue lights werent associated with them? who knows? good luck!
|

replied October 15th, 2010
I get neon blue light flashes, also..I mostly note them while reading...they are not large,and seemingly pin hole size. I cannot discern from which eye or even if both are affected. I asked 1 ophthamologist and he told me they were (visual) migraines. I have history of migraine auras, but do not suffer bad headaches afterward. These usaually present themselves as zig-zaggy now and widen as it worsens. I rarely get them and thought I had grown out of them. When I was around 13, I got my first aura at school and it was very frightening as well as nauseating. It was more like a bunch camera lightbulbs were flashing in my eyes. The main focal points were blinded by these lights. So I have noted a visual difference in my recent recurring auras as noted formerly.

I went to another ophthamologist because I knew I needed glasses...I was 54 (last yr.) and female (still).
So I asked him and he told I had stumped him and that he had never heard of that kind of "hallucination". We laughed.

However, in the last couple years, I have some neurological anomalies. My left front ankle into leg is entirely numb.I could stab it w/ a pin and couldn't feel..perhaps a nail hammered into it, neither of these will I attempt. I don't think it has affected my balance, but I work on my feet constantly and walk constantly plus I play golf as constantly as possible.

I have had a laminectomy yrs ago and after reinjuring my back apparently I now have 3 herniated discs. I have been to Phys. Therapy in the past and do excercises to make the nerves stop pressing against whatever it's pressing against??? That seems to help.

Also, when I was around 12, I was involved in a hunting accident and my twin brother mistook me for a pheasant. I was several yrds. away from the 20 gage blast, but knew right away that I had been shot in face, neck area.
It felt as if a 100 wasps had stung my face. My immediate reaction was I was not going to die, but I wondered if I would be blinded. My other brother ran over and held up some fingers and asked me if I could see them and I told him how many he was holding up. (The answer was not one, either). That alleviated my fears, 4 hrs later I arrived at our town's hospital as we had to drive home. (My father was w/ us and he was a physician). Apparently a lead shot had ricocheted near my eye and detached my retina and because it was lead shot (believe it or not) and not steel shot, they could leave the pellet in the eye. This was preferrable since it was lodged very close to the optic nerve. They decided to bandage both my eyes and leave me very quiet in hospital (maternity ward!!!) away from other playful children so that I would remain quiet myself. So I was resolved to lying on my L side for 2 wks without turning my head, etc. I am fine now and have fairly good vision. In length, I have not a clue why I see the "blue light special", but I do too!
Honestly, gbh
|

replied January 10th, 2011
Blue Flashes In Eyes
I suffer from this affliction (blue neon flashes very small, intermittent)and belive it may be due to two possible factors (in my case) Firstly I am diabetic (Type 2) and belive it could be due to poor diet giving me poor sugar control, ie high blood sugars, secondly I think it could be due to trappeed nerves in the neck as mine isnt great and my father also suffered similar flashes, but not blue, and his seemed to be caused by the vertabrae in his neck being misaligned.
|

replied July 28th, 2011
Blue lights in vision
Hi guys!

I have only recently been getting the pretty blue flashes. It's been happening now for about 7 months but only recently have they appeared in my vision around 20 times a day. That's a lot! I must add, I'm a healthy 27 year female and have no other things going on with my health and to be honest I don't think this blue light stuff is anything to worry about at all. In fact, I embrace it - I think they're so pretty. Who know's it could be us being able to see our own aura..or indeed angles (orbs) of some sort. Who knows but my gutt instinct is that it's nothing to worry about. I also have girl friend of mine who's the same age as me with no health problems and has also started to see these blue lights on a regular basis too! We're certainly not alone. I say, enjoy them. They're beautiful! Very Happy
I hope this helps...
|

replied November 28th, 2011
Im not sick or blind,Im a 32 year old male i just seen for the first time about 15mins ago about 3 feet long a light blue or it could have been neon blue flash in my bathroom lights off. it was seen on my ceiling the kithcen light was on. this just freaked me out im sure it wont be the last.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I can see well but also see frequently a blue flashing light
Hi, I'm 35 years old latin lady, and have the same flashing blue light. I can see well, I had an accident which concerned my left eye when I was a 11 without consequences though.
I visited my eye doctor after starting to have these flashes and he couldn't find anything wrong.
|

replied November 25th, 2012
Eye Problems and Autoimmuine Disease.

Several times I have seen every light around me turn bright neon green. Pretty frightening if you're driving at night. I also have a severe balance problem - fall a lot, have blind spots in my left eye, double vision, rapid loss of vision, eye infections, floaters, eye (ball) ulcers, shimmering white light (like small stars), and temporary partial white light blindness.

The above symptoms are due to a rare autoimmune disease I have, called Behcet's Syndrome. Balance and eye problems are two of the symptoms. There are also neurological symptoms associated with Behcet's, which could account for the neon lights I see.

Some of the other symptoms of Behcet's are mouth sores, genital sores, persistant rashes (sores) on thighs, chest, stomach and other areas of the body. Joint pain, fatigue, headaches with stiff neck, joint pain (not always associated w/ athritis), breathing problems (it affeccts the lungs), vein blow-outs, GI disease, numbness in the limbs, phlebitis, central nervous symptoms. Actually, it can affect any part of the body.

Behcet's is classed as one of the rare (in America). Behcets syndrome (BS) is a systemic vasculitis that is common in the old Silk Route
(East, South, and Western Asia, Mediterranea, and parts of N and E. Africa), but rare in northern Europe and the US. It is being diagnosed more and more in America, probably due to mixed ethnicity. It is more common to women in America and more common to men in the Silk Road regions. My paternal ethnicity is Mediterranea Jewish.

Like Lupus, most of the symptoms comes in "flares" lasting from 10 to 14 days. Some people have flu-like symptoms just before a flare. It may take years to diagnose (over 30 years in my case) because of the multiple symptoms, and because few doctors in America are really educated about it yet. I see at least 5 doctors for the different symptoms. Behcet's can go into remission, sometimes for many mohts or years. Then it can return in full force.

There is no diagnostic test for Behcets disease. It is normally diagnosed by symptoms. The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), C-reactive protein (CRP), C9 and/or C3, C4 complements may be elevated during the active phases of disease. Immunoglobulins (IgM and IgG) may be elevated and immune complex are also found in serum of some patients.
|

first thing you should do is go on a vegan diet and start from there - God designed us to live in the Garden of Eden and all this "modern" food i most of our problem - it may take awhile to reverse the damage but we are incredibly made and you should try it.
|

chrismax222
Mygraine kaleidoscope lights that scare you because you know the pain to follow , are not the same - these little blue wormy lights I think are harmless - occur mainly with the change of blood pressure to my head , like when I stand to have a shower. I have all the Coeliac symptoms so they may be associated with depletion in the diet - and are decreasing with my now virtually vegan diet.
|