Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Negative HIV tests but symptoms

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Worried about HIV infection!!
Hello,I have a situation where in 2001 I had 2 unprotected sex encounters with a person whose HIV I didn't know. After those encounters I started to experience every HIV related sympton imagineable. I also started to worry so much that it affected my day to day living and I was unable to function without thinkin I was HIV positive. About 3 months after the last encounter I had the orasure test done. The person who administered the test worried me a bit when after I removed the swabb from in between my cheek and gum she said that the swabb wasn't wet enough so she asked me to spit on it. I was a bit confused but I did what she asked me to do. My result came back 1 week later and it was negative. I was still worried and the fact that I felt like the test was compromised I retested about 1 month later. That test was also negative. I was still worried and I still have off n on symptoms of HIV. I had 1 more test done in 2007 and it was -. Am i okay

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A15582
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the possibility of HIV infection because of your symptoms (not mentioned by you)simulating those with HIV disease. You have also made a mention of low iron and loss of blood for which you are on iron supplements. Orasure test is a HIV antibody test in which the HIV antibody is estimated in saliva of the patient by taking the mouth swab. it usually take 6-12 weeks for the HIV antibodies to develop after the high risk exposure. If you are tested negative in 3 months and again at 4 months and then again at 6-7 years post exposure, it is highly unlikely that you have HIV infection or disease as these tests are highly sensitive and accurate. You must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis as the same cannot made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.