Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Negative HIV results - rash on hands

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I have just had a negative hiv result 8 years after possible exposure at my sexual health clinic in the uk.
I have been told that this is definitive, however i have recently had impetigo, swollen glands that won't go away, tingling in my hands and feet and now i think i have oral thrush.
I'm sure that 8 years ago when i was in the US and the incident occurred i had acute retroviral infection about a week after it happened. I then paid to test at the clinic in the US 8 weeks after possible infection and did the home access test 4 1/2 months after infection. Both were negative.
Ever since the acute illness i've had a rash on the palm of my hands, a bit like blood rush. So has anyone who is hiv+ had this rash on there palms and is it possible that i could still be positive despite 3 negative tests??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jayjay1979
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2009
Supporter
Jayjay1979,

I have AIDS and I have not experienced what you have.

Have you had an actual blood test for HIV? I recommend one...

Muthoni (Mson)
Very Happy
|

replied September 9th, 2009
I have had the blood test and it came back negative, i went to see the sexual health doctor today and she told me that is the end of it and i do not need to test again.

Now i'm left wondering what is this on my palms of my hands that i've had for 8 years since that sexual encounter.

Thank you so much for replying Muthoni x
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2009
Supporter
Jayjay1979,

I am glad you have found peace as far HIV is concerned and I hope the doctors can figure out what is ailing you.

All the best.

Muthoni (Mson)
Very Happy
|
Users who thank Muthoni for this post: jayjay1979 

replied September 10th, 2009
Is it possible to get a FALSE negative blood test result after 8 years from my sexual health clinic (using hiv 1&2 antibody test)?? Or is this impossible? and only possible during the window period?
|

replied October 1st, 2009
Hi JayJay,

I understand your pain, my situation is IDENTICAL to yous. My risk was 8 years ago, I have tested negative 3 times, but now have tingling/crawling in my body, sinusitis, and low WBC. I am convinced something is wrong..but all the forums suggest it is not HIV. Lets hope they are correct.
God Bless You.
|

replied October 12th, 2009
i went to my general doctors and had my blood done, wbc and platelets are normal...would they be slightly out if i'd been infected with hiv for over 8 years? My liver enzymes are slightly, not abnormally low. And even though my glands are still swollen he said that from my blood there is no cancer such as lymphoma or leaukemia.
I still have a white tongue and now i think i have flu. I've been back to the sexual health clinic 2 times and they refuse to test me for hiv again as they say the 4th generation elisa test for hiv 1&2 that i had is conclusive and i do not need another test.
I still have the rash on my hands and i'm just fed up of feeling ill all of the time, i've not felt well now since june.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
This may not be what it is, but have you had tests for other STDs? In it's second stage, Syphilis can cause a "rash, often appearing as rough, red or reddish-brown, penny-sized sores, over any area of your body, including your palms and soles." It can also cause fever, fatigue and vague feeling of discomfort, soreness and aching, swollen lymph glands, sore throat, and wart-like sores on the mouth and genital area. "These signs and symptoms may disappear within a few weeks or repeatedly come and go for as long as a year." I know you said you've had the rash for a lot longer than that, but maybe rarely it stays longer. I don't know. Do you have any of the other symptoms?

I think it is worth getting tested for. The cure is rather simple: antibiotics. So if you think there is any possibility that you may have been exposed, you need to get tested before it progresses. Untreated, it can take years to progress to the final stage with no symptoms in between. So, if you start to feel better without treatment, I would still recommend seeing a doctor anyway.

If you haven't been, you should get tested for everything else because you can have more than one STD at a time. Also, could you have had any other exposures to HIV since the one eight years ago?

It is also possible that it's not an STD. Have you seen a dermatologist about your hands? Maybe it's contact dermatitis (eczema). Have you presented that and your other symptoms to a regular doctor?
|

i have been tested for all stds except hep c.
all negative.
I have been to see my regular doctor and i feel as if everyone thinks i'm over reacting.
There must have been people out there who have tested negative for hiv well outside any window period, yet are actually positive.
The doctors are only interested in what is written on the piece of paper from the test...if it's negative then thats the end of the road.
I currently feel like i have flu and if i don't get better soon i will go back to the doctors again.

I have definitely not had any other exposures to hiv with in the 8 years, I was only tested 6 weeks ago for the third time over the 8 year period.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
You said you were tested 6 weeks ago? That was negative, too? If it was, I doubt there is any way you could have HIV. That doesn't mean that something isn't wrong with you, it's just not HIV.

The rash on your hands, is it the same all the time? Is it itchy, hot, or painful? Are there any bumps, scaling, or scabs? What does the doctor say about the rash? Have you had a dermatologist look at it? Impetigo can come from skin injury or as a result of dermatitis. It might be a good idea to pay more attention to what you touch and what you put on your hands, in case this is contact dermatitis. Try only using hypoallergenic products on your hands (soaps, lotions, etc) and see if the rash improves. If it doesn't, then you have more information as to the cause.

Has the doctor tested your for oral thrush?

Are you taking any medication or drugs, at all?

If you really think that your symptoms may be autoimmune, you should see a Rheumatologist. HIV isn't the only autoimmune disease. Sometimes they just happen.
|
Users who thank MyrahU for this post: Muthoni 

replied April 14th, 2011
have you find out what is wrong?
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Did you ever find out what was wrong?
I have the same problem and it is herpes on my hands! I thought it was HIV but it's not! Doctors are really dumb and don't accept that herpes can go onto all parts of your body and reoccur but it can. So you should get tested for that.
|