Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Needlestick accidents

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
Sir,

I had a needlestick accident 2 days ago, The source being a health care worker and I'm scared if he has any of the following infections hepatitis b or c or even HIV. HBIG seems to be very costly for me. Please advice me if I go in for Hepatitis screening now will the result be correct.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2017
It is unlikely that health care workers would be positive for any communicable diseases and still be in duties associated with patient care.

It is more likely that you are acting out of fear and paranoia.

The window period / Incubation period for specific STDs are as follows: - ‎

‎1. Gonorrhea - usually 2 to 7 days after the exposure.‎

‎2. Chlamydia - usually 2 to 6 weeks, but can be longer.‎

‎3. Syphilis - usually 10 to 90 days.‎

‎4. HIV - usually 4 weeks to 3 months, but rarely could be up to 6 months.‎

‎5. Hepatitis A - 15 to 50 days.‎

‎6. Hepatitis B - usually 45-180 days, with an average of 60 to 90 days.‎

‎7. Hepatitis C - ranges from 2 weeks to 26 weeks or 6 months - commonly, 6 to 9 weeks.‎

Testing for specific conditions should be done only after waiting for the above mentioned periods. Testing before them can be done to clear your anxiety, but the results may not be valid, and you may need to retest, at a later date.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.