Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Need to urinate constantly

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
I am a 22 yr old male and I have this urge to urinate usually at night before going to bed. Urge comes on strong when laying down or sitting. When I do go only a few drops come out.Many urinalysis done, STD tests done, full course of 2 different antibiotics stretching for 6 weeks each (for Prostatitis) and a massive amount of cranberry juice taken.

However, I never wake up in the middle of the night to urinate and the urge usually isn't there until after midday. And from that point on I have to go to the bathroom at least 6-8 times and then a few more times before I am comfortable enough to go to sleep. I have no abdominal or pelvic pain. Just this urge to urinate.

Doctor has said its not UTI, Cystitis or Prostatitis. What could it be? Thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tiny_suzi
|

replied June 7th, 2009
When I was 16 they thought I may have had a prostate problem so they put a scope up my urethra. The result was a compressed urethra that was causing tension on part of when I peed. Have you had any scope work done??
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Huh, i never thought of that and it seems neither have my doctors, I'll ask next appt.
|

replied June 9th, 2009
Just curious, Trygi -- what was the treatment for your comopressed uretha condition? and are you still under treatment or has the situation resolved?
|

replied June 9th, 2009
Cowboy85, if it is not a UTI, bacterial cystitis or prostatitis, why did your doctor put you on antibiotics?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Maybe Chinese Med can help
Hi Cowboy85,

my name is Sivan and i've been studying and practicing Chinese med for a few years now.
i wonder - did you try consulting a Chinese therapist ?
maybe you can answer a few of my questions and i'll try to help , maybe point you to a possible solution.

so if its ok with you pls answer these Q:

1) what is the color of your urine ?
2) how frequently are you drinking water during the day ? what amount of water are you drinking ? drinking anything else ? (tea ,coffee,sweet drinks..)
3)do you suffer from excessive heat / cold in those hours you need to pee all the time ? generally during the day ?
4) any diseases you had /still have since you were little boy ? Asthma ? skin issues ? ears issues ? knees ?

we'll start from this and if you wish we can continue later. i have many more questions.

hope i can help and good luck anyway
Sivan
|

replied June 11th, 2009
tiny_suzi wrote:
Cowboy85, if it is not a UTI, bacterial cystitis or prostatitis, why did your doctor put you on antibiotics?

Hi Tiny, my doctor had prescribed antibiotics for prostatitis for a full course of doxycycline but even after a few weeks after finishing the course of antibiotics I still had the same symptoms, so according to my doctor that is why I apparently don't have prostatitis. Not sure really what to make of that?
|

replied June 11th, 2009
Re: Maybe Chinese Med can help
sivanb wrote:
Hi Cowboy85,

my name is Sivan and i've been studying and practicing Chinese med for a few years now.
i wonder - did you try consulting a Chinese therapist ?
maybe you can answer a few of my questions and i'll try to help , maybe point you to a possible solution.

so if its ok with you pls answer these Q:

1) what is the color of your urine ?
2) how frequently are you drinking water during the day ? what amount of water are you drinking ? drinking anything else ? (tea ,coffee,sweet drinks..)
3)do you suffer from excessive heat / cold in those hours you need to pee all the time ? generally during the day ?
4) any diseases you had /still have since you were little boy ? Asthma ? skin issues ? ears issues ? knees ?

we'll start from this and if you wish we can continue later. i have many more questions.

hope i can help and good luck anyway
Sivan

Thanks Sivan, I'll try to answer as best as possible:

1. No real change, still yellow or you know light yellowish. Not really cloudy. No strange smell.

2. Before this all happened I didn't really keep track of how much water I drank a day, but I would say maybe 2-3 bottles of 20 oz water a day. Now because of how often at night before bed I have to urinate, I drink max 2 bottles worth of water. Rarely drink soda and tee. Coffee almost never.

3. I am usually hot during the day, but not when I have the urge to go. But as far as I can remember, I have always been really warm. Winter is my favorite season haha

4. I have been lucky enough never to have any serious issues other than sprained ankles or broken arm.

I have not consulted a alternative med doctor yet, because frankly I didn't even think about it.

Its just weird. I dont ever really feel the need to go until about 2 hrs before I sleep than from that point on until I will myself to sleep I go many times. Whats also weird is that I never wake up to go. If you need more info let me know. And thanks for your help Sivan
|

replied October 30th, 2010
I've had this same problem ever since I was a kid. I'll go pee before I go to bed, get into bed, and then have to get up and go pee again.. and again.. and again. Once I fall asleep, though, I'm fine for the rest of the night. It's not even just the physical feeling of needing to pee, so maybe it's psychosomatic somehow. I can't figure it out and no doctor has been able to either.
|

replied November 11th, 2013
I realize this is an old post and most of you are male. But I'm a 39yr old female, and somerandom is spot on with what I have been going through. I am very interested as to what any of you have found out.... Thanks
|