Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

pain in gland on right side of throat (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
first off ive had this for years now and it seems to kind of come and go, sometimes its not bad and other times it gets worse. i cant seem to directly link it to anything in my invironment. also i do have alergies, but for a couple years now, seemingly since ive been taking better care of myself, eating more real food, working hard, ect., the alergies are not so bad anymore. but still i have this pain in my, what seems to be the right side gland of my throat mostly when i swallow, but even when i dont swallow i can feel what seems to be a slight swelling from my throat to my ear. my doctor recently looked at my ear and throat and said everything seems normal. could it be some kind of infection, cancer? it just wont completely go away. thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile 20ashley11
|

replied March 14th, 2008
can anybody help me here?
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Similar problem
Hi miketonon and everyone else

I've had a similar condition for the last 2, 3 ys. The right side of my throat, between the lower jaw and the vocal cords, feels swollen (although it doesn't look as such) whenever temperature falls to less than about 65 degrees F (18 C). I have a tendency to get tonsillitis, but if it happens, usually both get bad.

It doesn't feel right at all, and I've started to wear thicker clothes just to avoid that annoying sensation. Otherwise I'm healthy, don't smoke, work out regularly, etc. so I don't know what really is going on. I've had my throat and ear checked and the doc also said they seemed fine. Anyone with a hint on this please comment. Thanks.
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
I am not kidding I think I have the exact same thing as you do. I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now I have been to the allergist and the ear,nose and throat docter, they say they feel nothing but it constantly feels like my right gland is swollen or like you said, just not right, it comes and goes as far as how bad it is. It actually went away for me for a few weeks but then came back, I also have allergies but I think its not related I dont know
good luck, I hope we find out something soon
I am so afraid to have a cat scan, have you had one?
deezie
|

replied June 4th, 2013
DID you find out what the problem was? I am having the same symptoms but now is moving to jaw, teeth.
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
sore throat right sided
this has been going on for about a year now I can not stand it no more i have been to 3 ents Im going for a ctscan next week but I just got layed off so there goes my insurnace it hurts so bad sometime i cannot stand it i just want to know what is is im so tired i read something called mallow tea helps iam going to the health food store tommorow I got to try something Mine hurts worse at night ....
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
deezie wrote:
I am not kidding I think I have the exact same thing as you do. I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now I have been to the allergist and the ear,nose and throat docter, they say they feel nothing but it constantly feels like my right gland is swollen or like you said, just not right, it comes and goes as far as how bad it is. It actually went away for me for a few weeks but then came back, I also have allergies but I think its not related I dont know
good luck, I hope we find out something soon
I am so afraid to have a cat scan, have you had one?
deezie

Get The Ct scan It Does not Hurt I ve had plenty foer other reasons ...
|

replied January 27th, 2009
pain on right side of throat
I have a pain that I feel to the right of where I swallow. It is there and I usually feel it at certain times when I am tired or stressed. Iseem to have ear pain also when I feel this swelling in my throat. I first thought it was related to my period but I am not sure if it has to do with that or maybe it is related to GERD and I don't realize I have reflux. I need to figure out what test can tell me why I feel this dull ache constantly. It is driving me crazy until I can figure out what is the cause. I have been to the ENT and they told me everything looks normal. I have had my thyroid tested and it is normal. Yet I still feel this pain. I drink a lot of soda, but I do not smoke. HELP PLEASE
|

replied January 28th, 2009
pain on right side of Throat
I am not sure what i wrote went Thru so I am gonna post it one more time . I finally got dignosed as having eagles syndrome I have been pain free . I take aleve at the first feeling of pain tylenol did not work it had to be ibuprofen and i have crohns so I am not supposed to use ibuprofen but I thank God I am doing Great at least try it if you can . i was o worried because of have no insurnce but I am doing great since i started taking the ibuprofen now do not take it everyday high doses are not good for you but when you feel the first onset of pain start taking it for a few days it works for me I pray it works for you !
|

replied April 30th, 2009
Pain on the right side of throat
I have the same thing. The pain is on the right side and it hurts most when i swallow and if i apply pressure on the side of my throat it also hurts. I haven't gotten it checked but it started after my boyfriend and i got into a fight and he was choking me, but right under my jaw and since then it started hurting. So i don't know whether to get checked or if it's still sore from when it happened?

But its been about 2 weeks now?!
|

replied May 5th, 2009
joya09
regarding: I haven't gotten it checked but it started after my boyfriend and i got into a fight and he was choking me, but right under my jaw and since then it started hurting

........please get checked by your doctor to make sure your boyfriend did not injure you. Also, I hope that he is no longer your boyfriend....do not EVER stay in a relationship with someone who abuses you, that is NOT love.......you have to love and respect yourself first ( by getting out of any relationship that is abusive ) before you can love someone else. God Bless.
|

replied May 5th, 2009
pain in gland on right side of throat
I've had the same thing on and off for almost 2 years now. I went to the doctor when it first happened because when I looked at my right tonsil I saw a red bump at the bottom of it. The doctor told me that was nothing to worry about, the bump was a part of my tonsil and that I had had a very bad infection so the glands in my throat underneath my tonsil had swollen. I asked him how long it would take to go away and he couldn't really tell me, he said it will go away a little, little, little bit at a time. My bump has gone away and it did hurt one and off as it did but now it feels as if the glands farther down my throat are whats hurting.......I'm assuming that they are healing and they ache as they shrink? Seems like thats what happened to the bump I could see.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
pain in the right side of the throat
I have pain on the right side of my throat since forever. I went to numerous ENT doctors, they checked my throat from inside, my ears etc. said everything was normal but i dont understand how can everything be normal when i feel pain all the time. It gets worse if its cold or I drink something very cold. I can feel swelling sometimes. It comes and goes. I also have headaches on the right side and also pain above my right eyebrow. I also have mild pain in my right ear. I have no alergies. My recent checkup showed that I might have acid reflux (GERD) that may cause this problem. I am really lost and sometimes I get very irritated at the inability of the doctors to diagnose my problem.
|

replied April 30th, 2012
Hi as I was reading trough your post my heart started to beat faster,because I have all the symptoms as you said in your post.I have been strugiling with this for years .Probably 4 years to this date.If you find out what is it please write to me.I dont have any insurance right know but 2 years ago I did all the possible tests and doctors said they dont know what it is.
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Slight Pain on Right Side of Throat
The prior postings sound very similar to symptoms that I am having. The dull pain seems to move from just below my lower right jaw and periodically (usually during the same day), down to several spots on the right side of my neck. The pain is most noticeable when I swallow, but can be felt if I lower my chin to my chest. I too was checked by my doctor, who said that everything seemed fine. There is definitely something going on, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have had some fairly severe allergic reactions from open field weeds and grasses recently, but do not know if the two are linked. Very strange...
|

replied August 8th, 2009
i cant breath easily with both nose , in my nose in its came yello peps, and i always feel cold cough and these days i have to pain in my left ear is it the symtoms of nose cancer or whatncan i do taht time please suggest me
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Throat Pain
I've also been having throat pain on the right side under my jaw. Sometimes it creeps over to the left side too. I've gone to numerous doctors and noone can tell me what is wrong. Docs keep saying anxiety, but I am not sure that is it. Others say it might be allergies, but I've never had an allergy and my throat doesn't feel swollen. It is coming from somewhere on the outside of the throat... or at least that is how it feels.. glands feel swollen.

I am getting an endoscopy in early October to see if anything is wrong inside my throat. Have any of you had that done?

I am always afraid of the worst, but the only non-major thing I can think of is that I pulled a muscle somewhere in the front of my throat, and since I need my neck muscles every day - the muscle can't heal - so I have pain after I do physical activity and/or after I chew or talk a lot. That makes me a feel better when I think of that, but I won't believe it until all other possibilities are proven wrong. Has anyone else considered this as an option?

I am an athletic, healthy 25 year old woman. I am a bit of an over acheiver and have had problems with anxiety/reflux for about 6 years... hence the endoscopy procedure....

Has anyone else learned anything since the last post? I'd enjoy keeping this conversation rolling.
|

replied October 27th, 2009
have any of u with glandular pain been tested for herpes? ...many ppl who have herpes may not experience the typical cold sore but may have painful swelling of the glands during an 'outbreak'

...happens to me...just a thought

*fyi docs dont test for herpes (hsv1 or 2) during typical std screenings...u have to ask for a herpes type specific blood test
|

replied November 1st, 2009
Eagle Syndrome
i recently got the all the same symptoms.at first the left side of my throat hurt around the gland area and it was hard to swallow.then,all of a sudden,last nite my ear started to hurt really really bad.i was in so much pain i was crying and throwing (im only 16).my mom rushed me to the emergency room and the doctor acted like i was faking for drugs.so i looked up my symptoms and found that it's pretty much the same as eagle syndrome.it requires an expert oppinion to figure it out...which could be why our regular doctors can't figure it out.but i found that the treatment for it is surgical.the preferred approach is a partial styloidectomy.repair of a damaged cartotid artery is essential in order to prevent further neurological complications.If u wanna read about it yourself,look it up Eagle Syndrome on Wikipedia.
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Eagles Syndrome
Eagle Syndrome... there is not much on this subject anywhere...plus i have seen many high profile ENT doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago and no one seems to know much about Eagles...Can anyone recommend a doctor for this.I have what i believe to be EAGLES for the past 4 years now and it is very depressing to live with
|

replied December 27th, 2009
I've had a sore right side of my throat for a few months..I seemed to start with an intense cold/cough. Now just the rigt side of my throat just under my ear is sore much of te time (noticable mostly when swallowing), and sometimes soreness goes up into my inner ear. Does seem to be easing of though. I remember now I have had similar symptoms of lingering sore throat/fatigue a few times in my life (I'm 3Cool. Once when living in chicago usa for 3 months, during a time of high stress. That was allergy connected apparently (I had hayfever back then).
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
Right Side Throat Pain
I have the same symptoms and after reading about Eagle's I think I will ask the doctor about it.
|
12 >>