Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Need Relief Suggestions!

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello everyone! I'm 20 years old, and there is a history in my family of severe menstrual cramps. I've been diagnosed with dismenorrea since I was 15. I've tried numerous things to help alleviate my pain, such as:

-Removing caffeine/sugar from my diet pre-cycle
-Adding caffeine to my diet pre-cycle
-Reducing sodium intake
-Regular exercise
-Medication such as Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and prescription Naproxin
-Adding more fibers, fruits, and vegetables to my diet
-Reducing carb intake
-Using heat pads in the affected area
-Herbal teas (using things like basil)
-Sex

Even when I first started my periods, they have always been irregular with timing with very heavy flow that typically starts within 10 hours of my period and lasts for 5 days. I typically get very fatigued, and I always have missed a day or school/work once every couple of months due to how much it affects me. Also, every now and then the pain gets so severe I start hyperventilating, and all I can do is curl up in a little ball and start crying.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out with this? Just a side note, I have visited my doctors before and they all say I don't have any other medical condition such as the Pelvic Inflammatory Disease or Endometriosis. Thank you all very much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Have you considered going on the pill?

Not only is it effective at preventing an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy by stoping ovulation and making the cervical mucus thicker, it also helps to regulate, shorten and lighten periods as well as making them less painful. It takes a few months for your body to get used to taking the pill but after that it would help you a little or it should.

It might be worth eating food high in iron as heavy bleeding could make you have an iron defiancy (Anemia).

What pill you get depends on age, smoker or non smoker weight, medical history etc.

Have you tried Feminx which is designed specifically for periods pains.
|

replied September 18th, 2011
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I did try birth control for a while, but right now that isn't an option for me financially. I'm a college student living solely on financial aid, so I can't afford the $60 a month that it'll cost me even with my insurance to take birth control.

I definitely always eat iron rich foods as I do know I get anemic; I've had that problem even before I started my period because I used to have chronic nosebleeds when I was very little. I haven't heard of Feminx, so I'll do some research on it and see if its something that I'd be interested in.
|

replied September 19th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
As I said in my previous post it has been designed specifically for period pains. There is also feminx Extra or plus (can't remember exactly) I guess that's stronger than the standard Feminx.

could your family help out with getting the birth control? I know it's a pride thing not wanting to ask them for help but surely its' better than suffering heavy painful periods that you can't predict very well as they are irregular.
|