My age is 26 years. I have been suffering from severe acid reflux (GERD) for the past two years. My main problem is Halitosis (severe bad breathe) from my mouth. Dentist confirmed that there is no problem with the teeth. It could be from nose because of Sinus or because of acidity. Sinus X Ray was taken and ENT specialist confirmed that there is no problem with nose as well. Then when I consulted a Gastroenterologist, they conducted Endoscopy, liver and blood tests. Everything fine. They suggested Sparacid syrup. It worked for few days but again the same problem continued. There was indigestion problem as well. Whatever I eat, it used to come into my mouth but there was no vomiting. I could feel the sense and taste of any food I eat or drink in my mouth. Then Impedance - PH monitoring for 24 hours was done. The report showed that there is a significant acidic esophagus especially in the upper right of the chest. Now the doctor confirmed that there is severe acidity problem and there isn't any hallucination about Halitosis. He suggested medicines. But it did not work. Same problem continued.
Finally after an year re-endoscopy was suggested. This time, the gastroenterologist said there is a big hernia. Surgery has been to be performed to get rid off problem. Laproscopic surgery (Nussel Fundoplication) was performed. They said if surgery is done, no need of medicines. But even after surgery problem continued so medicines suggested. But still the acid reflux and severe halitosis problem is continuing.
Can you please suggest some good medicines and help me to get rid off my halitosis and reflux problem. Its really frustrating, irritating and embarrassing to talk to people because of my bad breathe problem. Keenly awaiting for your response. Any solution or best suggested medicines to get rid off this problem ?
Since your acid reflux symptoms have persisted inspite of the procedure for Hiatal hernia, the only way to reduce your symptoms could be a complete overhaul of your diet, lifestyle, weight loss and physical exercise.
A brief example of diet recommendations has been provided here.
Foods that can help to improve your symptoms include
1. fruits such as pears, oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cantaloupes etc
2. MILK products like - yoghurt and cottage cheese
3. Non Vegetarian food products - include - lean cuts of meat, white meat from chicken and turkey, and seafoods
Foods that need to be avoided include -
1. Alcoholic beverages, caffeinated drinks, carbonated water, and deserts high in sugar and white flour
2. Foods prepared from white flour, like puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels also should be avoided.
3. Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green peas should be avoided.
4. Nonvegetarian foods to be avoided include - cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and cold cuts ;Red meats like beef, lamb, and venison - should be less in your meals
5. Seasonings such as onion, garlic, clove, and cinnamon may irritate your stomach lining and worsen the symptoms due to gastritis
Other measures that can help you in addition to the above dietary measures include ..
1. Walking or running thirty minutes regularly; Weight loss and maintaining a good body mass index under 23.
2. Stress reduction
3. Learn to relax with breathing exercises like Yoga
In addition, to the above, measures you might consult with a dietitian or your doctor, who can give more specific tips and advice to help your condition.
"Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals.
For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our
medical experts page.
You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.
The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician.
Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.