Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

need dental work: cannot get financing

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I am a single mother. for years i have had a large gap between my teeth and have longed to have it closed. needless to say i simply cannot afford all of the work that needs to be done in my mouth i have recently visited the dentist only to find that i need my wisdom teet extracted, one tooth extraction, deep cleaning,and frenectomy. this is a lot of money but i am despereratly lookin, searching, and constantly hunting for options to fix my mouth. i have bad credit and have tried and exhausted all finance options. everyone says no, if only they knew why my credit was bad i am not looking for someone to do this work for free i am willing to make reasonable monthly payments i am just praying to the heavens that there is some option out there for someone like me.i have insurance but even after that the out of pocket expense is just too much for me. please if anyone can share anything with me i am in tears about this i really would love the chance at a beautiful smile. pray
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Hey INDIA LOOKS,

The best thing I can suggest is for you to check the yellow pages for dentists and start calling as many of them as you can, asking if they will work with you on a payment plan. I'm sure that there is likely at least a couple of dentists out there that will work with you.

If you aren't able to find one in the general practice pages, try and see if there are colleges nearby that have dental schools. They very often offer the same care for much lower cost because they are a teaching facility and any work you have done is either done by someone who is graduating that year or done by a professional with students looking on. Being a college, they may also be willing to work with you, payment wise.

If not, you might consider getting an estimate from a dentist for about what they think it will cost you, out of pocket, and that you start paying them ahead of time for the estimated cost (for example, you schedule the work to be done in October, but you start paying for the work NOW so that the office is never out the money you are owed; they will simply be paid early for work not yet completed).

If you can't find a dentist that will do this for you, then the only other thing I can suggest is that you start putting a little money aside each paycheck (savings account, cookie jar, whatever) until you have what you believe you will need for the out-of-pocket expenses and THEN schedule the work.

I understand that the last two options may not be what you want (since you'll have to wait to have the work done) but if you really want a beautiful smile that badly, sometimes you have to plan ahead for it. You said you were willing to make monthly payments, so rather than doing that, take the money you would normally have made a payment with and set it aside towards the work until you have what you need.
|

replied June 7th, 2009
single mom with son that needs four root canals no insurance need help
|

replied May 3rd, 2011
Re; lack of financing for necessary dental work:
I just wanted to chime in as another person desperately in need of dental care for many years and unable to afford it. I am a divorced single Mom now even though my nest is empty the little birds still have myriad crises and pleas for help. I can throw in a suggestion to try specially for children.. The "Give back a smile" program might help or refer you to agencies that will help.
It's ironic that I once lost a great paying job adoing commercials - I was told to get my teeth fixed and come back ASAP. If I got that job I could have easily afforded the dental work... God does have a sense of humor and we have to develop one to survive.. we just can't laugh or smile in public. Just don't give up there is always hope. Pallas
|

replied May 13th, 2011
can't afford dental treatment
Hi everybody!
i wonder have you ever thought about going to another country such as Turkey for dental treatment? Most of the people can't afford the dental treatment like you is choosing this way. because in Turkey dental treatment costs are cheaper than US's or EU's. Turkey is one of the hotspots in dental tourism for Europeans and Americans. they get the same dental treatment with the same medical standards for 75% less; plus they have a great vacation in Turkey's touristic places. if you think about it i can recommend you some clinics in Turkey.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2011
Dental Options
I live in San Diego and I was faced with a similar dilemma in regards to my own treatment. Fortunately there is another easy option that comes with living here... that being a dentist in Tijuana. I asked around and made some calls and found a dentist that I like. I have learned that it's actually safe, unlike what you will hear from the press, and my dentist has transportation to and from the border. I have always had dental problems and I tend to get a lot of cavities, so regular maintenance is a must for me. Easy for me, as I just pop over the border and back when I need to. I have talked to other patients, however, with many coming from places like Canada or New York. They'll fly in for 5 days, get everything done, and fly back... and it's still cheaper than a US Dentist. The caveat is finding a really good dentist, of course. There are many dentists in Mexico who are trained just as good or better than US dentists and are very professional and... wait for it... have modern stat-of-the-art equipment Shocked

So, to make a long story short here are a couple of links you might find helpful...

http://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/mexico/ tijuana
|