Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Need Advice re Stress of Recent Breakup

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi All:

I'll try to keep this short, but I'm just really running out of places - and need some advice. I don't have health care right now (I will soon), and I've reached out to all the sliding-scale therapists in my area without much luck. So, any short-term advice until I can see a regular therapist would be much appreciated.

Basically, my entire world has toppled over in the past few weeks. I met someone very special this past December, and in April, I ended up giving up a very prestigious job and a move to my favorite city in the world (a long term dream of mine) in order to stay on the East Coast and give our relationship a shot. I love him very much, and he is a wonderful man, but I bring a LOT of baggage to the table - and sometimes, I can be a difficult partner.

He told me he wasn't ready to move in together, but since my apartment lease is up at end of August, we decided I should get a place near his (since I was staying over there 4X a week and I would be using his car to commute to my new job in September). I put down all of my savings for the deposit and first months rent, and a day and a half later he ended our relationship. He said it was too stressful for him (which I understand). While I understand his reasons for wanting to be out, I also think we had a lot of positive aspects, and I am very much in love with him. The end felt very sudden, especially since he had just encouraged me to take the apartment a block from him.

I gave up the apartment because my only window overlooked his front porch (nightmare). I am now trying to get my money back, on top of trying to find a new place by the end of the month. I am really hating/dreading the job I'm starting next week - which will be very stressful, and no where near as good as the one I gave up.

All of this very sudden stress also brings up a lot of painful things for me. Mainly, I'm an only child - and I lost my dad 7 years ago. I loved my father very much and was very close to him, but I've never been close to my mom - and we are estranged now. So, I basically have no family, support of safety nets. I've reached out to my friends - who are trying to be helpful, but none of them have much time/energy to give. For example, days will go by with no one doing more than sending an occasional text. it is getting harder and harder to ask for the help I need.

I am feeling increasingly despondent and wanting to give up on everything. Right now, I am alone with no family, no close friends nearby, a job I'm dreading, and the love of my life having just walked away (because I'm just too difficult of a person to love). I'm 31 - so this is not a case of me losing my "first love" - but just that the overwhelming totality of my loneliness is catching up to me. I've had very negative thoughts lately, and while I wouldn't say they were suicidal per se, they involve self-harm and wanting to get away from my entire life.

I know I need professional counseling - and I am willing to seek it just as soon as I have insurance. Hoping, in the meantime, those with similar experiences might be able to offer words of wisdom or helpful practices. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|